NAD - Redplate BlackVerb

What's Hot
Met the very knowledgeable and amiable Hywel last week to do a part ex deal on the Redplate with my beloved Carr Rambler. We met at a pub roughly halfway (he was kind enough to travel further than me) to do the deal. We arranged to have the function room to test the amps but didn't realise it was right in the pub so we had to limit the volume, and the fun. Safe to say we both came away happy with the exchange and made our separate ways home.
The RP BlackVerb, which I thought looked too much in red by the pics, is in fact a beautifully made and very neat little package. Heavy enough to give a sense of quality but not daft heavy like the 1 x 12 Mesa Lonestar I recently considered. The clean channel can be reminiscent of my Rambler but has various voicings which make it that much more flexible. The reverb is ok, nothing special, but I see there is an easy mod to a longer spring unit. The OD channel was initially a big disapointment at bedroom levels, very harsh with no real body. I thought I'd have to use my Thorpy Gunshot for the first gig........TBC tea is ready...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited February 2017
    Will be taking the Rambler to our jam session tonight would will report back tomorrow. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 363
    edited February 2017
    Got to the gig and set up with my Nova System in the loop and the rest of the 'board going in the front end. Got a clean sound I was happy (and familiar) with from my Rambler days, very smooth Blackface. Tried the Thorpy and got what I expected, a great driven sound with plenty of guts and a nice tone. Thought I'd give the OD on the RP a go. Stepped on the OD foot switch and the drive channel was set far too quietly so I ramped up the gain, drive and volume. When it was at (my) gigging volume the whole thing came alive. Bloody hell I was chuffed! It was like the Thorpy in some ways but tighter in the low end and a great body to it. It also sang into harmonics and feedback quite easily. I know it's a cliche but 'The sound in my head' came to mind, Gary Moore Soldano days meets Larry Carlton (not the playing obviously!). The best bit is how controllable it is on the gain channel with the guitar volume pot. I can literally get any amount of break up from just clean to screaming drive on just that channel. The Tweed option on the foot switch is also very handy for a different and slightly gutsier take on the clean channel. All in all I'm very happy with this amp and it sounds and feels like the real deal for me. Just need a Helix/FX8 solution now for 4 cable method happiness.....

• hywelg said:
    Will be taking the Rambler to our jam session tonight would will report back tomorrow. 
    Hope it lives up to expectations.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    YEs it did Paul, but I think the stock speaker is a bit too wappy for me. It breaks up too early and is very inefficient. I tried it through my 2x12 cab and it came alive. I'm deaf now!!!

• I loved that amp - tried it a few times at the Nottingham amp meets.  If Id had the cash, Id have snapped it up 18 months ago.

Despite all the other GREAT amps that came through those sessions - the RP was my favourite.
  • Rehearsal tonight, it's just fabulous. By far the best amp I've ever had. Can't wait for my FX8 to turn up so I can complete my  new ultimate rig.,,
  • So pleased to hear it mate...

Ive said it so many times, some of my all time best live sounds came from a Blackverb. Redplates are indeed very special amps !

Ive just ordered a new Zilla FatBaby 1x12 for my RP50R head.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 363
    edited February 2017
    I was thinking about a Zilla cab, I bought the blue and orange head shell as well.