Lesson Time!

After dossing about for 18 months learning the guitar in a very disjointed and haphazard way, I took the decision at the beginning of the year to embark upon formal lessons, as I finally realised I wasn't going to get anywhere near the level I want to be at under my own steam. 

So I had my first one on Saturday, and it was great. What I love is that because I'm spending hard earned cash on it, it completely changed my approach to practice. 

I spent almost three hours straight on Sunday just going over what I learned on Saturday (the 5 pentatonic shapes and some 'linking' exercises) whereas if I learned something new of my own accord, I'd spend about ten minutes on it before getting bored and reverting to playing a handful of riffs that I already knew. 

Has really given me a new found focus that I
was desperately lacking. The motivation has been there since I first picked up the guitar, but the focus hasn't been, but I think I'm on the right track with this!

Will use this thread to keep posting my thoughts after lessons. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Good decision. After many years of aimless noodling, I started lessons six months ago; best thing I ever did, my playing has improved so much. I realised quickly that there were a lot of basics that I had never really nailed down and a lot of bad habits picked up.  I agree totally with your comment on it giving you focus on practice. I got overwhelmed with the amount of lessons on YouTube; there's nothing to beat the guidance of a good teacher.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    A great investment if you can afford it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Well, I did what I said I was going to do and I've pretty much done nothing but work on my 5 pentatonic scale shapes and the linking patterns I was shown at my last lesson. 

Lesson number two tomorrow, hopefully he'll be impressed at the effort I've put in as I've got it completely down.