Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How's this for a Strat tone - maybe the best you'll hear ?

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited February 2017
    Well I like Rabea's Strat tone, I like it a lot. Lovely Strat too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited February 2017
    sorry - but for me the best Strat tone(s) is Little Wing - Wind Cries Mary - I know there are a host of options but very hard to argue against these 2 tracks by jimi
    Yes, fully agree - and there are plenty of other great recorded strat tones too - how about SRV, Clapton, & Buddy Guy for starter.  The vids OK, but I really don't think it's anything special either from a tone or playing perspective - and the jam goes on for about 10 mins too long & frankly got a bit boring.  I'm not a pro-standard player by any means, but I think even I could hold my own in that jam and sound half-decent, and I know there are a lot of good players here that could do it more than justice.  

But then I do have a secret weapon ...
    ....I have a big headstock Strat which has better tone! DPccane
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    Sassafras said:

Sassafras said:
    It's OK but it would've been so much better with a large headstock 70s Strat.
     :) 
    How perculiar, why ?
    Because according to that other thread 70s big peghead Strats are the mutt's nuts.
    I don't actually go along with that. I can't stand them.
    Butthurt ?

if it takes the sting away, I prefer the smaller one too  =)
    Maybe my butt does hurt but I've got a cream for that.
    Unfortunately even the best cream in the world won't shrink a freakishly large headstock on a Strat down to a normal sized one.

Sassafras said:

Sassafras said:
    It's OK but it would've been so much better with a large headstock 70s Strat.

How perculiar, why ?
    Because according to that other thread 70s big peghead Strats are the mutt's nuts.
    I don't actually go along with that. I can't stand them.
    My advice then is stick to what you know, it's done u proud so far hasn't it.

May I recommend a Nightnurse to smooth you through your pain ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:
    sorry - but for me the best Strat tone(s) is Little Wing - Wind Cries Mary - I know there are a host of options but very hard to argue against these 2 tracks by jimi
    Yes, and there are plenty others too - the vids OK, but I really don't think its anything special either from a tone or playing perspective - and the jam goes on for about 10 mins too long & frankly got a bit boring.  I'm not a pro-standard player by any means, but I think even I could hold my own in that jam and sound half-decent, and I know there are a lot of good players here that could do it more than justice.  

But then I do have an advantage ...
    ....I have a big headstock Strat which has better tone! DPccane
    This I would like to hear/see.......Rabea vs.........a nobody lol  =)

Please please please show me your 15 min improv v Toska !!!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A bit muddy sounding for me, but a cool looking strat. I prefer the more spacey aural wallpaper strat of Michael Landau 

• DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    Cool.  I like it.

Would be better with a Hammond, another guitar, another drummer, some horns and a percussionist.  
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I just don't see how it can be any good with a small headstock and *gasp* block saddles..... :)

Thing is, he is definitely a great player, but any magical tone was masked by the distortion and lack of sustain.

With enough drive and post production I could probably get a similar sound out of my Ibanez Prestige S.

Woody, rich, clean tone is where you can see/hear the quality. Once you drive and distort many things can sound alike.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Richardj said:
    I just don't see how it can be any good with a small headstock and *gasp* block saddles..... :)

Thing is, he is definitely a great player, but any magical tone was masked by the distortion and lack of sustain.

With enough drive and post production I could probably get a similar sound out of my Ibanez Prestige S.

Woody, rich, clean tone is where you can see/hear the quality. Once you drive and distort many things can sound alike.
    Doesn't your YouTube do the full 15mins then ? Dead battery ??!!
  • A bit muddy sounding for me, but a cool looking strat. I prefer the more spacey aural wallpaper strat of Michael Landau 

Would have been good if Landau, the drummer and bassist had all been playing the same song together in the smae time signature. 

Jazz wank

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Way too dull for the full 15 mins..........

There me is only so much free form noodling a boy can take on a rainy Monday evening. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2017
    ?? Not sure I understand that - v Toska?  But I can show you my large headstock 1969 Strat - sound quality is pretty poor though, sorry - only done with a cheap Kodak camera

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Richardj said:
    Way too dull for the full 15 mins..........

There me is only so much free form noodling a boy can take on a rainy Monday evening. 
    You talk a lot of tosh boy and I'm on to you.....you are a dullard  =)
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 562
    edited February 2017
    Voxman said:
    ?? Not sure I understand that - v Toska?  
    YouTube is your friend, they are a band....without Rob Chapman 

oh oh and they do improv....not covers
    edited February 2017
    And it's a fake too.... a 'custom' built bitsa with a fake logo.  Electrics are interesting, stacked Seymour Duncan's and a 500K volume pot, so not exactly the classic setup.

Sounds OK though for a hot rodded cheapo Strat.

Voxman said:

Ahh - the hairy one from the Anderton vids - had a listen to a couple - great fun!  I actually went through a phase many years ago playing a mixture of progressive, jazz/funk, rock mish mash stuff with a load of improvisation.  It's always good fun to do, but I think its more interesting to play than to listen too for too long - I kind of lose interest after a while. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:
    ?? Not sure I understand that - v Toska?  But I can show you my large headstock 1969 Strat - sound quality is pretty poor though, sorry - only done with a cheap Kodak camera

Sounds pretty sweet @Voxman, is your Strat stock?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I've always found it far easier to do improvs than covers. I can do whatever I like.
  • Voxman said:
    Voxman said:

Ahh - the hairy one from the Anderton vids - had a listen to a couple - great fun!  I actually went through a phase many years ago playing a mixture of progressive, jazz/funk, rock mish mash stuff with a load of improvisation.  It's always good fun to do, but I think its more interesting to play than to listen too for too long - I kind of lose interest after a while. 
    Haha, take your point, enjoyed the Little Wing vid.

I can tell you've slaved over that one to get it good.

You should have a couple of stouts and do another recording and see you can get it sounding looser....no criticism, I'd just be interested in the results, remember JH was never sober, one way or another  ;)
  • Sassafras said:
    I've always found it far easier to do improvs than covers. I can do whatever I like.
    Course you can dear, but only if there's golf clubs on fences...  ;)
  • Did someone mention a big headstock Strat?  The first 30s here (turn it up) defines Strat tone for me: