Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How's this for a Strat tone - maybe the best you'll hear ?

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Just because I can read music doesn't mean I have to. It's just one of a multitude of skills I've acquired. That and exceptional physical prowess and stunning good looks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited February 2017
    Sorry dudes you're all incredibly wrong.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 339
    monkey42 said:
    Sorry

not for me
    Don't be sorry petal  ;)
    Ok then

not for me ;)
  • monkey42 said:
    monkey42 said:
    Sorry

not for me
    Don't be sorry petal  ;)
    Ok then

not for me ;)
    Appreciate the clarification sweet cheeks  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Damn right @Lew. Damn f#@*ing right.
    I'm not a fan of Rabae. Nothing against him.
    Nice vid @Voxman .
    On a separate note I have to say I'm not big on Little Wing - every man and his dog play it. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Damn right @Lew. Damn f#@*ing right.
    I'm not a fan of Rabae. Nothing against him.
    Nice vid @Voxman .
    On a separate note I have to say I'm not big on Little Wing - every man and his dog play it. 
    Thank you - &...Woof Woof!! 

Image result for dog with guitar
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2017
    Voxman said:
    Voxman said:
    Please please please show me your 15 min improv v Toska !!!
    ?? Not sure I understand that - v Toska?  
    YouTube is your friend, they are a band....without Rob Chapman 

oh oh and they do improv....not covers
    Ahh - the hairy one from the Anderton vids - had a listen to a couple - great fun!  I actually went through a phase many years ago playing a mixture of progressive, jazz/funk, rock mish mash stuff with a load of improvisation.  It's always good fun to do, but I think its more interesting to play than to listen too for too long - I kind of lose interest after a while. 
    Haha, take your point, enjoyed the Little Wing vid.

I can tell you've slaved over that one to get it good.

You should have a couple of stouts and do another recording and see you can get it sounding looser....no criticism, I'd just be interested in the results, remember JH was never sober, one way or another 
    Ah, that's where I went wrong - I was too sober!  D Seriously, I must get round to doing some more up to date vids.  Speaking of improvisation with a mix of funk, progressive, jazz, rock again the vid quality is rubbish (same cheap Kodak I'm afraid) thought you might be interested in hearing an old sample vid:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Not my thing at all.

The best Strat tone ever recorded is U2's With Or Without You.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited February 2017

God I'm in a bad mood...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Richardj said:
    Sounds pretty sweet @Voxman, is your Strat stock?
    Thanks @Richardj  - yes, its completely stock except for a 5 way pup selector replacing the original 3 way, and an extra string post. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Rabea is an outstanding player but that sort of thing does nothing for me. I liked the tone though.

• Sounds good, but I prefer smoother strat tones, usually with a rosewood boards.  Low gain but high vol.  This is dry and gritty, with low sustain.  But nothing against it, just prefer other Strat tones.   Philip Sayce gets some great tones, but probably 3 times the volume to be fair.

• Voxman said:
    Voxman said:
    Voxman said:
    Please please please show me your 15 min improv v Toska !!!
    ?? Not sure I understand that - v Toska?  
    YouTube is your friend, they are a band....without Rob Chapman 

oh oh and they do improv....not covers
    Ahh - the hairy one from the Anderton vids - had a listen to a couple - great fun!  I actually went through a phase many years ago playing a mixture of progressive, jazz/funk, rock mish mash stuff with a load of improvisation.  It's always good fun to do, but I think its more interesting to play than to listen too for too long - I kind of lose interest after a while. 
    Haha, take your point, enjoyed the Little Wing vid.

I can tell you've slaved over that one to get it good.

You should have a couple of stouts and do another recording and see you can get it sounding looser....no criticism, I'd just be interested in the results, remember JH was never sober, one way or another 
    Ah, that's where I went wrong - I was too sober!  D Seriously, I must get round to doing some more up to date vids.  Speaking of improvisation with a mix of funk, progressive, jazz, rock again the vid quality is rubbish (same cheap Kodak I'm afraid) thought you might be interested in hearing an old sample vid:

Ahh, nice Dorian improv. Lovely  =)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    One guy I'm often surprised gets little praise for his tone is Chris Rea - That tone on Road to Hell when he is pushing it is awesome
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Pah. There has never been a Strat player to touch Robert Quine.
    https://youtu.be/UkTs883qImY?t=1085
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    One guy I'm often surprised gets little praise for his tone is Chris Rea - That tone on Road to Hell when he is pushing it is awesome
    I'm always puzzled by that too - it seems like "serious" guitar players don't rate him. (Having come across this directly more than once.) Why - is it because he has the temerity to be a great songwriter and not a bad singer, rather than a "guitarist"? Or because he isn't afraid to mix guitar with 1960s film-music homages? I really don't know.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I'm always puzzled by that too - it seems like "serious" guitar players don't rate him. (Having come across this directly more than once.) Why - is it because he has the temerity to be a great songwriter and not a bad singer, rather than a "guitarist"? Or because he isn't afraid to mix guitar with 1960s film-music homages? I really don't know.
    Totally agree - Mrs H is a big fan - I agree not every track he has recorded is  good, but many are - almost a UK JJ Cale about him to a degree
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    well said that man, totally forgot about him, great singer great songwriter and a great guitar player
  • I think a really good Strat tone comes from David Crosby, when he plays Almost Cut My Hair live it's sounds great. He plays Rhythm but it compliments Stephen Stills' fuzz tone nicely. 

I've always found it amazing how CSN manages to have 3 or 4 guitars in some songs and engineer the tones so you can pick out each one individually. 

• I honestly think the sound of a Strat neck pickup (clean or driven) it one of the greatest single achievements of the human race.

It's right up there with; democracy, equality and Kelly Brook's decolletage...  
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom