Super Reverb Mods

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5628
I have a 65 SRRI 60th Anniversary that I wouldn't mind modding ever so slightly and wondered if anyone would know how difficult it is to do.

I'm adept with a soldering iron and can follow instructions and I'm aware of the safety aspect, but I have done a few mods on amps before so I'm willing to have a go if it's within the capability of a hobbyist to do.

Basically I'd like to revoice channel one of the amp so it sounds more like channel two.  Reason being is that it takes pedals really well but only with the bright switch off.  However, cleans sound much better with the bright switch on and I can control the tone with the guitar if it gets a bit too bright.  Backing the mids off a bit sounds better both with and without pedals.

Channel one sounds more pronounced in the mids - and I'm guessing that's due to the lack of a mid control?  If it's possible to alter the mid with a cap swap, to rein it in a bit (mids on channel two usually around 4), I'm assuming that would be easiest but I'm willing to consider adding a mid-pot on the rear of the amp if that's possible, since the faceplate is already pretty busy.

Then I could use channel one for all my pedals and switch between the two with an ABY pedal and still have an incredible clean sound.

Not entirely necessary but wouldn't mind making reverb global across both channels if there isn't likely to be any detrimental effect of doing that?

Is any of the above feasible?

TIA

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

The "mid" control on the Super Reverb is a fixed resistor rather than a pot and is 6k8, ie it's the same a pot set to around 7.

This of course can be changed to whatever value you like, and if you like the other channel set on 4 then 3k9 would be a good value. This R9 in my schematic and is mounted on the PCB holding the pots. To get to this you will need to remove all the knobs and nuts on the pots and jacks on the front.

There is a mod for adding reverb to both channels. I'm sure it will be on the web somewhere as this is commonly done with SF and BF amps.

Using an ABY pedal with an un modded amp worls OK, however running both the channels together doesn't work well as they are out of phase. Modding the normal channel to have reverb cures this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5628
    @jpfamps cheers bud, many thanks for the information, much appreciated!

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    edited February 2017
    @Haych ;;; - Check these excellent articles out:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/24610-ask-amp-man-upping-the-gain-on-a-super-reverb

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/25043-ask-amp-man-supercharging-a-super-reverb

I have written to this guy (Jeff Bober) and had my request published, so if you want more -  do the same!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

@57Deluxe, thanks for that bud, much appreciated. 

I never noticed before but both reverb and tremolo seem to be global across channel 1 & 2.  Does this mean my amp has already been modded or was this a stock mod done by Fender on the reissues?

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    /\ yes - would seem so as stock, only the Reverb/Trem chan has the extra 12AX7 tube.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>