SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold Gibson ES335 for trade/sale

What's Hot
AllthegearNoideaAllthegearNoidea Frets: 293
edited March 2017 in Guitars £

ES-335 Dot Fat Neck

Gallery Horizontal
Gallery Top
Gallery Bottom
Gallery Headstock
Rating
History

The ES-335 Fat Neck was introduced by Gibson Memphis in 2008. For players who prefer a larger, heavier neck with a rounded profile for any reason - playing technique, larger hands, resonant characteristics, or just a true vintage look and feel – this historic reissue is the perfect instrument.

The Fat Neck is patterned on the run of 521 ES-335s produced by Gibson’s original Kalamazoo factory in 1959. This distinctive six-string still has all the same winning tonal qualities as the Gibson Memphis 335s modeled in 1958: warm, darker, mellow rounded tones perfect for jazz or blues, supercharged with the edge, sustain, and plain authority that comes with semi-hollowbody design.

In keeping with the vintage ’59s, the ES-335 Fat Neck not only boasts the correct rounded ’59 one-piece mahogany neck profile, but the slightly smaller body of the originals and vintage lightweight maple centerblock construction. The Fat Neck’s body measures 16 inches wide, 19 inches long, and 1.7-inches deep.

Body and Finishes

Each Gibson Memphis ES-335 Fat Neck has a plain maple top, back, and rims with a three-ply maple body construction and that vintage lightweight maple centerblock. Models are available in antique red finish, antique natural, antique ebony, and antique vintage sunburst. The pearloid dot inlays give the guitar its distinctive moniker, and they are balanced by a single-ply cream binding along the neck, top, and back.

Neck and Hardware

All hardware is nickel, and there’s a classic ABR-1 bridge with a lightweight aluminum stopbar tailpiece. True to the original ES-335s, the neck has the rounded 1959 profile and a 24-inch scale length with an 1 11/16th-inch width at the nut. The headstock has a rich holly veneer and the tuners are vintage tulip style.

As with many other iconic Gibson Memphis reproductions of great Gibsons from the ’50s and ’60s, the 1959 ES-335 Fat Neck model has two ’57 Classic humbucking pickups, two volume pots, two tone pots, and a three-way pickup selector switch. The guitar sports Gibson Brite Wire .010s strings.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Price
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
    Pm'd
  • cyteryt said:
    Price
    £2500 if I was to sell rather than trade
  • New pics bump
  • Comes with CS CoA? Though "fat" is this slimmer then a '57 / '58 neck? 
  • Hi   no Cs Coa 

I would say it is slimmer than a 58 based on my memory of my old 58

Jason
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1418
    Is that a fat neck or 59 reissue? Does it say Nashville or Memphis in the orange label inside the F hole? The serial number decoder online usually is wrong and says Nashville even for Memphis made guitars. The orange label in the F hole is the only way to tell for sure. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AllthegearNoideaAllthegearNoidea Frets: 293
    edited February 2017
    You're correct  it says Memphis in the F hole. Sold to me as a fat neck not reissue
  • Seem pricy to me for a "regular" model. This is maybe price for a 1959 reissue (Serial Axxxx)
  • AllthegearNoideaAllthegearNoidea Frets: 293
    edited February 2017
    Not forcing you to buy it but I've checked the ad I bought it from and it says it was a 59 reissue not a fat neck. Took this to a dealer yesterday who confirmed the sale price if he was to sell it on. 
     http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172451224541
    I've checked my emails with the buyer and he sent me a link to a fat neck for the spec so I'm very confused as to whether a 59 Fat Neck is different to a 59 reissue. Any help appreciated in clearing this up
    The serial number is the way to tell for sure. A 59 reissue will have a serial number starting A-*** on the orange label and will have nothing on the back of the headstock. A fat neck/standard model would have an embossed serial number on the back of the headstock
  • I think the Dot Fat necks ri with the '59 neck profile were made around the time as yours in Memphis and the Nashville-made '59 reissues are from 2012/13. Just a few made. But I believe both are CS models. Think the pickups on the Nashville are custom buckers vs '57s on yours / Memphis(?). The Nashville tend to be a bit more in value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Nashville have been making 59 reissue es335s for a long time. I own a 2005 59 reissue from Nashville. It looks very much like the guitar in this ad, which I'm sure is a killer 335 whichever model it is. I've also owned Memphis made 335s. They are great guitars as well. I can't stand the extremely slim 60s neck of the standard model which is why I bought a 59 reissue.
  • hyperben said:
    The serial number is the way to tell for sure. A 59 reissue will have a serial number starting A-*** on the orange label and will have nothing on the back of the headstock. A fat neck/standard model would have an embossed serial number on the back of the headstock
    Thanks  there is no 'A' before the serial number on the label. Label serial number is exactly the same as the number on the headstock.
    It's a fat neck then, not a 59 reissue
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperben said:
    It's a fat neck then, not a 59 reissue

Thanks. Title and price amended
  • The Custom shop historic reissues. both 59 and 63 have always been built in the Nashville custom shop( not as stated previously just 2012/2013 ), the rest of the ES line since early 2000's in the Memphis facility ( which is also called a custom shop, but is reality just another factory ) The historics will have an A xxxxxx serial number on the orange label, nothing on the headstock as well as designating Nashville as the build origin.  The historics have a significantly higher ticket price over the Memphis guitars. Pick ups on the historic at that time would be classic 57's.
  • artiebear said:
    The Custom shop historic reissues. both 59 and 63 have always been built in the Nashville custom shop( not as stated previously just 2012/2013 ), the rest of the ES line since early 2000's in the Memphis facility ( which is also called a custom shop, but is reality just another factory ) The historics will have an A xxxxxx serial number on the orange label, nothing on the headstock as well as designating Nashville as the build origin.  The historics have a significantly higher ticket price over the Memphis guitars. Pick ups on the historic at that time would be classic 57's.
    Many thanks. The shop I took this to yesterday had a blue book price of £2500 for them to sellk.  I've dropped the price to reflect this so hopefully all sorted now. Thanks for your help