A pub in London, one with a great sound system????

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4975
Read this on tnt-audio.com.  Might be worth a visit:  http://www.tnt-audio.com/tours/spiritland_e.html

Anyone living close care to check this out?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No need, I can hear it up here  B)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 978
    Cheers for the link
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27946
    I'm up in London fairly often.

Can't see any acoustic treatment in there, just a lot of hard surfaces.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Being in London it will be full of wankers, and presumably the sound will only be really good if you're sitting right in the middle.

Nevermind that it sounds almost as dull a night out as going clubbing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The whole piece reads like a really close-to-the-bone article from the Daily Mash.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22684
    It's bugger all use having an amazing sound system if you don't like the music.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4975
    Leave your prejudices at home for the day and pay it a visit even if only for a coffee.  I have heard a few horn speakers and they all need a large room with hard walls.  More or less exactly as depicted in the photographs.  Horn speakers are loud, but not loud as we know it Jim,  loud as in a concert grand loud but loud without being deafening.  You can easily have a chat with your companions when the (loud) music is playing.

I have only ever seen and heard one Kuzma turntable - and it was the entry level model but with a 12" arm.  There is no doubt that Kuzma are a quality product  - the sound I heard was top notch but entirely different from that of a well setup Linn LP12.  The Kuzma in that pub is in a completely different league to the model I heard, I would anticipate it to being close to a jaw dropping experience when the stylus hits the disk.

When I am next in London, I will make it my business to drop in for a listen.  If you have never heard a top notch hi-fi system in a room big enough for it to show its paces, call there and have a coffee/drink and hear some good music.  

Makes a welcome change from Bose sh!t.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• rlwrlw Frets: 4690
    Being in Islington it will be full of wankers, and presumably the sound will only be really good if you're sitting right in the middle.

Nevermind that it sounds almost as dull a night out as going clubbing.
    Corrected that for you
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm around 45mins away from that place, I will check it out, perhaps sometime next week.

Rocker said:
    Leave your prejudices at home for the day and pay it a visit even if only for a coffee.  

• RockerRocker Frets: 4975
    The Kuzma Stabi turntable I heard was the one three in on the top row and there are several other images of it throughout this series of photographs.  There are lots of other Kuzmas that take the performance of the Stabi to an entirely different level of performance:

https://www.google.ie/search?q=kuzma+turntables&espv=2&biw=1745&bih=864&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiM_Mrk84DSAhWkOsAKHeRCD0EQsAQIPw&dpr=1.1

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    edited February 2017

I'm really looking forward to hearing the 18-40 kHz (yes that's kHz) super tweeter! Especially with CD source, which is brickwall limited at 20 kHz.

However I'm concerned that the 300B amp driving the mids is push-push and not single ended, although it's reassuring that the manufacturers haven't ruined the sound of the amp by employing negative feedback.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Sporky said:

I assume the owners are depending on the beards of their customers to provide this............
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4690
    jpfamps said:
    Sporky said:

I assume the owners are depending on the beards of their customers to provide this............
    ..and the cord jackets........
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Went there today, it's about a 5minute walk from Kings Cross tube station.

Much smaller than it looked like from the photos.  Had a hot salt beef & mustard sandwich, flat white coffee & schooner (2/3 of a pint) of IPA beer.  All of which were really good.

The Hi-Fi was on playing Michael Jackson when I walked in, and played through some playlist including Diana Ross and some other tunes I didn't recognise.

Volume was pretty quiet & with everyone talking at lunchtime it was hard to clearly hear the music. But they do an album club Monday-Friday that starts at 6pm, where they play an album all the way through.  

Will probably do an album club visit & evening session another time.

• vizviz Frets: 10680
    I’m going to pop in this evening. I’ve got an entry-level Kuzma deck; would be good to hear the next level up. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    @viz ;

Probably the best time to go is the evening as they tend to have the volume turned up a bit louder then, went once at lunchtime & it was pretty low volume (think it was the Michael Jackson/Diana Ross post I posted before ^)

Have a good one!
    duotone said:
    @viz ;

Probably the best time to go is the evening as they tend to have the volume turned up a bit louder then, went once at lunchtime & it was pretty low volume (think it was the Michael Jackson/Diana Ross post I posted before ^)

Have a good one!
    Cool - I’ll be there at 6-ish
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    They do a nice manzanilla. Sound system was very amazing!