NAD Carr Rambler

What's Hot
hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
Did a trade with @firepaulmusic last week and haven't had much of a chance to crank the amp until tonight at our weekly jam.

Plugged it in and put my pedal board in front of it, strat with Fralin Vintage Hot pups. I had the volume right up at 2 o'clock and it was loud but not as loud as I'd expected, I could just about keep up with the other guys, but the biggest problem at that volume was the speaker, a Weber R1 ceramic, probably a rebadged standard Weber speaker. when I pushed the front end with a boost or a drive pedal I got a lot more speaker breakup, more than I wanted really so after a couple of numbers I swapped to my 2x12 with the EV and Emi Red Fang.

My what a difference, huge great gobs of bass (turned it nearly all the way off just like I used to have to do with my EZG) and backed the mids off a little. Loads more volume, so the weber is probably very inefficient, maybe 95-97 dB?, so I could ease the amp volume back a touch so it was cleaner and a boost gave a nice kick and just a touch more compression. But most importantly the authority and clarity the cab gave was very impressive.

This amp is a lot like my old EZG but it does it at lower volume levels, much more useable volume levels. All my drive pedals worked nicely and the amp responds very well to guitar volume. I did spend a lot of time with just the RC boost on and my guitar volume backed off. Very clear juicy leads  just how I like them, not too compressed, not too dirty, but lovely sustain and responce.

All in all well impressed. I wish it had a 16ohm output tap, I know Steve Carr says its fine to run it into a 16ohm cab with a little loss of volume (hah, that was bollocks!) but I'd be happier knowing the cab matched the OT. Oh and an LED on the trem footswitch would be nice. As with every amp I've ever owned, they all sound better through the cab thats the biggest ballache to cart around, c'est la vie. I wonder if it would be possible to graft the amp into a headshell?

So I'm left loving the amp, not so much the speaker. But the upside, is the amp will work much better in a quiet environment with the Weber, and I'd plug into a big cab if I ever wanted to gig it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    needs an elsinore speaker in it says many an owner
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    edited February 2017
    Can't be the only good speaker for a low power BF style amp. I tried to fit a spare EMi Red Fang in there yesterday, but it wouldn't fit, it was touching v4. Grrr....

Might try a Creamback M I have lying around. But then again a low power speaker is usefull sometimes. I just wish it didn't break up so much.
  • I thought the Carr Rambler was infamous for it's clean headroom..?...is that not the case..?
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I snagged an Elsinore for my Sportsman and it is a fantastic speaker - a great all rounder that still has its own character. I've had several in this amp and this one is staying.

Second place goes to WGS ET65 (which is creamback-ish I believe), not unlike the Elsinore in that it gives great cleans but is robust enough in the mids to give a great drive tone too.
  • I had one once and i had a Tone Tubby hemp cone ceramic in it - sounded fabulous at gigging volumes
  • Good strat > RC > Rambler is an awesome combination.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I remember that 2x12...a truly terrifying amount of base :).

• And size and weight.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited February 2017
    but isn't the Elsinore just a rebadged Eminence Red White and Blues??d
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • 57Deluxe said:
    No, not in my experience anyway... i had a RWB in my first Rambler, and now the Elsinore in my current one - and the latter is a signifcant improvment.

@Hywelg - you do sometimes see a few rare 2x12 Ramblers pop up,for sale... someone (Im forgetting who) owns one on the forum !
    Fitted a Celestion Creamback M into the Rambler on Sunday and took it to our jam last evening.

Big improvement, louder and no breakup,  but it feels a bit tight, it is brand new so its going to take a while to break in. Leaving it in place for now. 

Also got a Tonespotter, a WGS Reaper that I could try, though I might well rip the gold out of my Plexi combo and try that. 

• Very interesting...I'm actually considering getting a Rambler myself...I use two Skylarks for my live work, and I wanted to try adding a bit of 6L6 into the mix...let me know if you ever considering letting the Rambler go...I know, you just got it...:)

It's not going anywhere yet. My plan is to find a nice 95-97db speaker that doesn't break up like the Weber, so I can use it more at home.

At studio volume it is wondrous.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    57Deluxe said:
    I thought the Rambler originally came with an Eminence Wizard? I have a Wizard in my 1x12 MJW cab and really rate it - it is loud as a very loud thing though.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    The Gold would probably be a great match. I'm using one in a rebaffled Princeton and it sounds sweet. Way louder and clearer than the stock Jensen too.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    57Deluxe said:
    No, not in my experience anyway... i had a RWB in my first Rambler, and now the Elsinore in my current one - and the latter is a signifcant improvment.

@Hywelg - you do sometimes see a few rare 2x12 Ramblers pop up,for sale... someone (Im forgetting who) owns one on the forum !
    Yes, I have a 2x12 rambler. The cleans are gloriously rich/3D. I really love it. It has wizards in at the moment which I think sound great. Would love to experiment though in the future with other speakers.
  • BBBlues said:
    57Deluxe said:

Yes, I have a 2x12 rambler. The cleans are gloriously rich/3D. I really love it. It has wizards in at the moment which I think sound great. Would love to experiment though in the future with other speakers.
    Of course Tim, sorry mate I forgot it was yours !
    Wizards are easy to get, might try one. Anyone any idea how much it us to get an Elsinore shipped over?