Picked up guitar again after many years

JamieD110JamieD110 Frets: 0
edited August 2021 in Guitar
Hey guys. I started playing again after not playing for several years. I got a strat pack from a friend for a hundred bucks. I bought a looper pedal and an overdrive pedal. I've been back at it for a month or so and just starting to sound okay again. Gitarre Klingelton
Anyway, I plan to blow my income tax return on an amp and new guitar. I'll have about $1200 and maybe could throw in a couple hundred more if I need to. I was thinking about a fender mustang 4 and a mim strat or an epiphone lp or maybe even an epiphone or gretch semi hollow body. Just wondering if anybody has any better suggestions or opinions. I play mostly blues when I'm at home, but can go play with some friends in a garage who play more rock stuff than blues. Also, I used to go to an am vets on Thursdays to play some old time country with some old guys I know on their open jam night.. Guitar Instrumental Solo: https://klingeltonemp3.info/guitar-instrumental-solo.htm
That's pretty broad, I know, but I'm hoping that's the beauty of a modeling amp.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Welcome! That sounds like a great plan to me. The mustangs are great practice amps, though t may also be worth looking at the latest Line 6 Spider (mark V) and the Boss Katanas as they're also getting great reviews. 

As for guitars, you can't really go wrong with any of those. A Strat and a Gretsch are quite different in terms of both sound and the physicality of playing (slinky, contoured solid body vs chunky and hollow) but both are great instruments so whichever you prefer you should have a great setup.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
    Welcome aboard. You won't go wrong with a MIM Strat and it really is a very good instrument. I've upgraded the pickups in mine (Fenders are great if you want to modify anything) but I know several people who regularly gig stock MIMs.

As regards amps, as @stickyfiddle has already said, the Boss Katanas are getting great reviews. It depends what you're after though. My own preference has always been for simpler amps with fewer bells and whistles and without USB connectivity. Amps that fit this bill are the Roland Cube series which are pretty tough and are very intuitive to use, and the Orange Crush and Crush Pro series.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10264
    Welcome aboard mate.Blackstar ID Core are pretty decent and dirt cheap,though maybe more Stateside (I'm guessing that's where you're from).
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I bought a Mustang III on the back of several good reviews, hated it. Too many options, all of them sounded average. 

Blackstar or Roland as mentioned above are better sounding amps imo.
  • ID core amp is a good shout, the stereo sounds are awesome. 

I'd also be tempted towards a second hand US standard Strat/Tele or even an Epi Sheraton.

• I reckon an Epiphone Dot 335 would cover rock, blues and country really nicely, and would be well within budget.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    I reckon an Epiphone Dot 335 would cover rock, blues and country really nicely, and would be well within budget.
    Agreed, I really like mine, great quality for the coin.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    I'd buy a used Fender Blues Deluxe, a MIM, a decent compressor and a delay pedal and forget about all the modelling complications.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    MiM Strat plus a set up at a tech, the pedals you have and a Hot Rod Deluxe and you're ready to go on stage.

Best of luck man.