Gretsch g5620t-cb

notanonnotanon Frets: 607
Hi All,

Any review or feedback or details on the Gretsch g5620t-cb from users here? Are both the Gretsch g5620t-cb and Gretsch g5620t-cb fairly thin body? 45mm mark aren't they? I played one of the centre blocks in PMT the other day. I was looking to try out the Gretsch 5422/Gretsch 5420 which I did but ran out of time and only had a few minutes with the gretsch G5620t-cb. I preferred it for me but again, time was limited. Damned heavy when you have just got used to the hollow bodies. I usually don't like a central pickup but how much does the extra pickup add for tone flavours given they are all the same pups.

Looking forward to feedback.

Thanks Folks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7852
    I'd go for the G5420.  It's lighter, a fine guitar with great pickups (when setup right), though the nut is a bit pants (and won't be cut properly), and the tuners are really pants.   Otherwise, excellent guitar.  

The third pickup on the centre block models doesn't add much.  Yes, these centre block models do resist feedback much better, and the super-hilotron pickups do work very well with higher gain, but....if you don't play metal, the G5420 is the better bet.  The tension bar Bigsbys are much stiffer in use, so it's less fun to use. 

I fitted Stu Mac own brand locking tuners to my G5420, they're excellent.  Made a world of difference to tuning stability.  Also fitted a Compton Bridge.  Deep joy.  Downside, it's a big guitar, quite thick. I'm tall, so it fit me well. Others might find the depth more difficult to deal with. 

Marlin

• Have you considered savin up for a 2nd hand professional series guitar in stead? 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I've got a 5620 and absolutely love it

Surprisingly great pickups and a lovely chunky neck profile

Agreed on the weight, though - heavier than a fair few Les Pauls I've played
    Stop crying, start buying
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    Thanks for the feedback so far (pun intended btw). I need to research more on what people call the 'professional series guitar'. Obviously not the Pro Jet less expensive models. Do you mean the G6120, The Falcon, The Country Gentleman, G6659,  . . . . ?
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    PMT had a gretsch  G6120 Eddy Cochran, I should have tried it. I guess unlike most Gretsch fans I don't care that much for the 'bling' factor. I do like the style but I would be bothered paying extra for the 'well appointed hardware'. Of course there are some guitars where I do like the bling that is added so only in general. The Gretsch gets away with a lot more with me probably because I was born in the 60s and that style feels like home to me, who knows. For example I actually prefer the Les Paul studio more than the Les Paul standard cosmetically  as I don't 'need' any binding and I love natural look.

I do appreciate that a well built guitar inspires one to play better in the sense that a £1K plus strat compared to a £100 starter guitar is like comparing skating on ice to roller blades in a pub car park. I actually find the Les Paul Studio quality lacking in a few areas of fret work - they just don't have the time I guess?? I will pay extra for a full fret dress soon.

Back to the Gretsch - The G5622 felt really quite nice and the quality gets a glowing review for the quality. I have seen reviews where the acoustic quality of the higher end Gretsch guitars really shine but 'when plugged in not much difference'. TBH I would admire the acoustic quality but that would not worry me much, I'd always intend to experience the guitar through the amp.

Again, I appreciate the feedback. 
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1711
    edited February 2017
    Hi, the professional series or proline Gretsches are those made in Japan
    so basically the next step up from the electromatic range.
    most of thier higher end stuff is made in Japan and has been since 1989.
    then there is the usa made custom shop guitars that are another step up from thier regular Japanese made professional series guitars. The customshop stuff is more special order/limited stuff made by a small team. 
    The Japanese made stuff is expensive if buying new but 2nd hand prices can be very reasonable if your patient and look around. 
    Regarding views, the best thing you can do is to try a few different models in the different ranges, even the streamliners, because it's very subjective.