Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

JHS addresses 'cult' rumours

What's Hot

Comments

• vale said:

devi is who she is & makes the pedals she does because of who she is.  call her unpredictable, chaotic, contrary, eccentric, a witch. she is who she is & i like her.

& at heart i think she is honest.

The Console kickstarter fiasco says otherwise.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolo said:
    singling out JHS seems a bit witch-hunty.
    It's only witch-hunty if the target hasn't actually done anything...
    Agreed. 

What has he done? 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited February 2017
    dindude said:
    vale said:

devi is who she is & makes the pedals she does because of who she is.  call her unpredictable, chaotic, contrary, eccentric, a witch. she is who she is & i like her.

& at heart i think she is honest.
    I'll take the Dwarfcraft version of events regarding their business dealings with Devi compared to the version bandied around by the queen of shitty fuzz pedals and never finished 8-bit computer games.  
    Agreed, the bit in bold is hilarious.
    i was making my point in relation to the jhs situation. it seems to be a fairly clear cut case.

the kickstarter episode (what i have read of it) seems more complex & less clear cut.
    but as far as i am aware she has refunded, or is currently addressing&refunding (ongoing) those who feel she let them down with regard to how that turned out. accepting responsibility for her mistakes.
    so even if she messed up & it fell flat, the honesty is there in that she is taking responsibility.
    feel free to correct me if you think i misunderstand that situation, or she has said otherwise.
    i generally don't follow gossipy things closely but as i like devi (i used to follow her blog) that's one i did see.

i don't know enough about the dwarfcraft business to comment, so won't.

but on the jhs score i can understand why she feels aggrieved. that's all.

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader

I've seen a devi fuzz and, no kidding, the inside looked as though it had been thrown together. Really, really poor quality work that I would expect to fail fast. 

Inside a Shoegazer from 2010. I've seen a lot worse from other builders. The LP Fuzz I owned featured the entire board wrapped in electrical tape, which was kinda ugly, but no big deal since the soldering was good and some chunky hook-up wire was used so nothing was going anywhere. The LP sounded good, and cost a paltry $55 new in 2007.

• Jhs (edit for not being so mean) has been known to be affiliated with a church that supports "gay realignment" camps and its probably easier to Google international house of prayer. 

The post they have issued talks about the company - obviously it's up to the owner what he does with his profits, but I'd rather not indirectly support this church that he has links to. 
    I did. I don't see anything about "gay realignment".

I suspect that if you did some digging on any American pedal manufacturer you'd probably find an employee who attends a similar church that you'd be "indirectly supporting" with your patronage

It's up to you what you do with your own money, but singling out JHS seems a bit witch-hunty.

I copied his human rights statement and marketed it as my own.

You're doing it wrong. You have to substitute expensive boutique words for some of the boring ones.

A cursory Google, for me, has revealed quite a lot about IHOP and their links with jhs (as in, the man - not the company). 

With that said, you're right - it doesn't tie him directly in a financial sense to them so I'll be careful what I say. 

Also, I have some boss pedals - fuck knows what the factory conditions are like in Japan. And I've no idea what they're like as a company - so consider my previous comment put into line as a bit one sided. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    edited February 2017

Issues statement saying "there are no ties to that church everyone says is creepy", then comments saying "I help them out/buy them stuff". Feels a bit "alternative facts"-y.

I don't care about JHS, plenty of companies doing more interesting things who aren't tied to weird religious factions.
  • goatgoat Frets: 98
    edited February 2017
    The post they have issued talks about the company - obviously it's up to the owner what he does with his profits, but I'd rather not indirectly support this church that he has links to. 
    Hard to avoid this sort of thing though. Taylor's CEO Kurt Lustig for example is a Scientologist and apparently the company operates using L Ron Hubbard's WISE "Management Technology"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goat said:
    Hard to avoid this sort of thing though. Taylor's CEO Kurt Lustig for example is a Scientologist and apparently the company operates using L Ron Hubbard's WISE "Management Technology"

Yeah, I posted another afterwards and I think I'm being a bit one sided. I mentioned that I have no idea what factory conditions for Boss pedals in Japan are. I have a Digitech Polara but I have literally no idea what the company is like at all. 

So yes, I agree.  Didn't know about Taylor's CEO. I know nothing about Scientology though.
  • He's been listed as a worship leader. 
    That is enough evidence to choose pedals made by alternative makers.  
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335 said:

Issues statement saying "there are no ties to that church everyone says is creepy", then comments saying "I help them out/buy them stuff". Feels a bit "alternative facts"-y.

I don't care about JHS, plenty of companies doing more interesting things who aren't tied to weird religious factions.

Reading comprehension fail. Here, let me get rid of some of those pesky paragraphs:
    • Attended IHOPKC 2010-2013. What year is it where you are?
    • volunteered in the areas of music and fine arts
    • helped mentor young artists and musicians by giving freely of (his) time and personal finances.
    • made direct contributions to 2-3 young ministry volunteers
    • helped with some gear / instrument purchases  
    None of this confirms that any money was given to the church itself, and certainly not from JHS the company. The only one that's at all vague is the part where he "helped with gear/instrument purchases"- was this for the volunteers he helped out? Was this something he did to help the "young artists and musicians"? Or was it for the church itself? Unclear. 

Once again, your money, your choice of what to spend it on, but let's not get carried away with the religious bigotry. 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Is it? I don't think so. I don't even know what a worship leader is. You just can't draw solid conclusions from any of this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm just suspicious of the delay that has preceded this statement.  I suspect it'll be met with a chorus of objections that will send this forum into overdrive.
    What delay is that? 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Is it? I don't think so. I don't even know what a worship leader is. You just can't draw solid conclusions from any of this.
    It was supposed to be a joke... 

The 'worship' guitar sound like the ones found in Hillsong to my ears is awful.  

We're post-fact now. We can all do what we like. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• We're post-fact now. We can all do what we like. 
    Thanks for giving us the permission to do so @english_bob ;
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    I still think of crappy Encore guitars and cheapo music equipment in the 80/90s whenever I see the name JHS :lol: Seriously though I'm surprised the UK JHS (John Hornby Skewes) hasn't had an issue with the US JHS using the same name.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Octafish said:
    I still think of crappy Encore guitars and cheapo music equipment in the 80/90s whenever I see the name JHS :lol: Seriously though I'm surprised the UK JHS (John Hornby Skewes) hasn't had an issue with the US JHS using the same name.
    me too..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

It was supposed to be a joke... 

The 'worship' guitar sound like the ones found in Hillsong to my ears is awful.  
    Sorry dude. Internet sarcasm fail on my part.