Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

JHS addresses 'cult' rumours

What's Hot

Comments

• This is getting a bit hairy now guys. I hate to call the cops but paging @digitalscream ;
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, some of those P&W players have killer tones, their rigs sound massive.
    But they play some of music which is so bad it makes 'A Whole New World' by Peter Andre & Katie Price seem like 'Revolver' the Beatles.
    Yeah the music is bad, but some of the tones are Landau 90s LA session quality. 
    Commending 'Praise & Worship' tones on a guitar forum is akin to a DIY forum praising the extension building skills of Josef Fritzl. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• dindude said:
    Church = Shady
    ipso facto involved with church = Shady dude. 
    My point entirely. This is fucking ridiculous.
    Not really, it's my point of view, I'm not ramming it down anyone's throat, when I find out someone is religious, I just quietly move away....... 

not all religious people are bad, not all pitbulls are dangerous, but it's a risk. 

I dont buy JHS pedals for 2 main reasons. 
    1 they are expensive
    2 I don't need one

Now if one came up second hand and I thought it sounded good...... maybe I would buy it, maybe not, prob not.

But its a pedal, not dinner with the guy, I've heard rumours anout Danelectro supporting and contributing to anti-gay legislators, but I've not seen any evidence.

Ive heard McDonalds burgers are made of mechanically retrieved meat, eitherway they taste awful.

Everyone can make a choice, on personal, ethical or financial grounds to either support or denounce JHS, what makes me chuckle is that, to my perspective, it's always those with a 'religious axe to grind' and by that I mean religious people that jump to Josh's defence. 

hhhhmmm, well I'm an staunch atheist yet I posted the above "in defence" (kinda). Then look at your comments in bold above. Who's religiously prejudiced here?
    erm, me. 
    And proud of it. 
    Why should I not be prejudiced against members of a club that has brought more pain suffering oppression and misery to the world than any dictator?
    and atheists haven't?
    Oh yeah, but on balance I'd say more has been done in the name of one invisible friend or the other, more than in the view that there is no God type thing. 

People are people, some do bad things, and it will always be that way, but in my view, religion is a great excuse for bad people to do bad things, it's a catalyst for the disillusioned  and bitter to oppress and hurt others. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    Wow.

Ok, work head on now. In employment law there are 8 characteristics of equality;

• Age. ... 
    • Disability. ... 
    • Gender reassignment. ... 
    • Marriage and civil partnership. ... 
    • Pregnancy and maternity.
    • Race.
    • Religion or belief.
    • Sex.
    Now enter one of the other 7 (rather than religion) in the "I walk away from them" spiel and see what a tool you would look.

No difference with people having different religious beliefs to you than someone having a different sexual orientation to you.
    Employment law has nothing to do with this (for obvious reasons), and religion is a special case in there because it's the only one which has at its core the requirement to convert other people (almost all religions have that in common); the others are all about the individual.
    This is getting a bit hairy now guys. I hate to call the cops but paging @digitalscream ;
    I can't do anything about it; while I posted as an admin to begin with, I've since joined in with the discussion and therefore I should avoid taking any further actions as an admin (it's not a rule, but it's a guideline that we try to stick to in order to remove the temptation to do a Lixarto and start acting as the editor for other people's contrary opinions).

However, if you want, by all means flag this comment (if you want to avoid singling anyone out) and another modmin will be along shortly to take a look.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited February 2017
    It's not bothering me @digitalscream, just didn't want it to get out of hand. We've gone a bit tangental ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's not bothering me @digitalscream, just didn't want it to get out of hand. We've gone a bit tangental ;)
    Fair point.

In that spirit...it'd be awesome if everybody could cool it a bit so this thread doesn't have to head off to SC. I'd say it's a fairly on-topic subject for discussion.
    <space for hire>
  • Fair enough, I'm happy thinking what I think about the things that others think. 

• Maybe we make @professorben sit in a corner like Ed Begley in 12 Angry Men :)

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Maybe we make @professorben sit in a corner like Ed Begley in 12 Angry Men :)
    Oooooh singling me out for my religious differences???? 

Referee!!!!

;) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The thing with religion is that to a non believer belief in any god is quite close to a psychiatric illness. What's the difference between believing in a god and believing in Harry Potter...? It's all just fiction!

It's close to the bone for me as my parents are Christian and I spent a lot of my time as a youth in church... but I can't get my head around it... to me religion is an archaic way of explaining things you don't understand or a man made system of control (see catholicism and islam) that throughout history has caused untold misery and continues to do so. 

No doubt some religions have had positive messages or give people solace, comfort, a coping mechanism or joy... but... Oh it makes my head hurt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • So, in one case,Madbean made a schematic of the Crunchbox, an MI Audio pedal, JHS copied their copy and Juansolo is getting pissed?  I know you have a connection with Madbean but take a look at the bigger picture.  

Are all your own builds entirely original?  Pretty sure that you, as a pedal builder, have very little room to talk.  
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    So, in one case,Madbean made a schematic of the Crunchbox, an MI Audio pedal, JHS copied their copy and Juansolo is getting pissed?  I know you have a connection with Madbean but take a look at the bigger picture.  

Are all your own builds entirely original?  Pretty sure that you, as a pedal builder, have very little room to talk.  
    That's not his point.  He's saying Josh at JHS used madbeans layout not his circuit there's a difference.  Had JHS gotten the schematic and created his own layout then no one would give a shit but he used someone else's work instead of learning how to do it himself or paying someone else to do it and then claimed it as his own original design.  I can see why the diy community gets upset when someone profits off their work when it's really easy to get someone to create a new layout for you from a schematic.

Also take a look at Juan's site he's very open about what each pedal is based on and whose pcb it has been built on.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Reading through some of this thread reminds me......

We haven't had a decent Vertex post in a while ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited February 2017
    So, in one case,Madbean made a schematic of the Crunchbox, an MI Audio pedal, JHS copied their copy and Juansolo is getting pissed?  I know you have a connection with Madbean but take a look at the bigger picture.  

Fuck me...

Right you need to get your head around a couple of things. Tracing a pedal, ie: getting your hands on it, and working out how it works, creating a schematic from that, of your own, is perfectly legal. AMD used to do it with processors back in the day. If you then go on to create your own PCB layout from this, you are again, perfectly allowed to do so because that's how the law works. However, if you copy an schematic or layout directly, this is directly copying someone else's copyrighted material. Even if it's the reversed one. This is actually against the law. Which is pretty plain and simple on these things.

What Madbean did was trace the crunch box and release the PCB for DIY USE ONLY. As I say, at the time this was a big thing. DIYers are not out there to rip off others designs and sell them as our own. I'll explain what a DIYer is now...

I am a DIYer. ie I enjoy building pedals, dissecting them, traceing them, finding out why they do what they do. I also have been known to design and build my own effects. Because doing all the stuff I've just mentioned can teach you how to do that. I am a pedal builder in that I build pedals mainly for me and friends. I sell the odd one because it's a fucking expensive hobby. By the odd one, I've probably sold about 2 this year to date... I like interesting, challenging, custom builds. I actively turn down people wanting cheap knock offs of currently in production pedals. Indeed I've done that rather recently and publicly in a thread here.

Bean's disclaimer was meant to cover this sort of behaviour because it helps fuel the hobby. Please do not confuse the DIY scene with commercial pedal building. They're very different things.

EDIT - Indeed the 'about us' section on my site pretty much covers where I stand on things and saves me repeating myself... - http://juansolo.co.uk/stompage/about.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    The thing with religion is that to a non believer belief in any god is quite close to a psychiatric illness. What's the difference between believing in a god and believing in Harry Potter...? It's all just fiction!

It's close to the bone for me as my parents are Christian and I spent a lot of my time as a youth in church... but I can't get my head around it... to me religion is an archaic way of explaining things you don't understand or a man made system of control (see catholicism and islam) that throughout history has caused untold misery and continues to do so. 

No doubt some religions have had positive messages or give people solace, comfort, a coping mechanism or joy... but... Oh it makes my head hurt.
    @professorben take note. That is how to express a controversial opinion whilst keeping cool and classy.
  • Lew said:
    The thing with religion is that to a non believer belief in any god is quite close to a psychiatric illness. What's the difference between believing in a god and believing in Harry Potter...? It's all just fiction!

@professorben take note. That is how to express a controversial opinion whilst keeping cool and classy.
    Insult...... name call, insult, question your parentage, express opinion on bmi of your mother, insult.

you fill in the deets mate. 

;) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lew said:

But seriously, since when has feeling religion is a crock been controversial? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • So, in one case,Madbean made a schematic of the Crunchbox, an MI Audio pedal, JHS copied their copy and Juansolo is getting pissed?  I know you have a connection with Madbean but take a look at the bigger picture.  

It's ok.

Juansolo's pedals produce tones worthy of Michael Landau in the 1990's. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @juansolo so if I understand, the circuit is fair game, but the layout is copyright protected, would that be the order of components or the specific placement and orientation of parts. 
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited February 2017

It's ok.

Juansolo's pedals produce tones worthy of Michael Landau in the 1990's. 
    who is this guy? 

Edit* hang on I recognise that name from the Vertex scandal.