Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Something that really irks me...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    I honestly think some people dont want to sell but are under pressure to get rid. So after 4 weeks of no bites it's ' Darling I tried to sell it but no takers' and omitting to mention that it didnt sell as they were asking 10% above full retail for a used item. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    martinw said:
    This thread again?
    It's good to talk about our feelings.

So my therapist says.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    I like the 'best guitar I've ever had' or 'best Strat I've ever played' or comments around that in their used description  - so why are you selling it ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    People who put "RARE" in their descriptions especially when the item they have for sale is nothing of the sort, merely undesirable.
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    "Rare" often means "they didn't make many of these because no one wanted to buy" or even "this product is so bad that most of them got skipped".
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Lawsuit.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• "upgraded pots/wiring/pickups... ": I've spent a fortune polishing this turd so I'm going charge a premium to pass this cost on to you. 

"luthier built partscaster" Dave down the road has soldered the pickups into your Encore last year & now he's put your Thomann kit together. This doesn't make him a Luthier anymore than my being 1990 under 10s 50m freestyle swimming champion makes me a fish. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    For balance, I prefer honesty. I'm more likely to trust a seller if they say 'Nowt wrong with it, but I haven't played it for 3 months cos I like my other x guitar more'

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the 'best guitar I've ever had' or 'best Strat I've ever played' or comments around that in their used description  - so why are you selling it ?
    Yes definitely... Or the old ' best strat I ever played but I think I'm a Gibson guy.... '
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    To be fair, I sold probably the best guitar I've ever owned - my PRS Standard 22, which was my main guitar for over ten years. I didn't desperately need the money, I didn't hate it, and in some ways it would still fit me better than what I have now.

But I'd stopped playing electric guitar live in a band, the music I am doing suits a different type of guitar, and that particular guitar was so very associated with the band I used it in that I somehow found it difficult to want to use it for anything else.

Not saying that applies to everyone who is selling 'the best guitar they've ever owned', but it might. For what it's worth I didn't advertise it with that claim, I just put it in the shop and it sold. No big deal, I just moved on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My favourite one---and you've all heard this before---is the one that goes along the lines of

"absolutely devastated to be selling this, absolutely the best guitar I've ever owned but my car blew up / budgie died / boiler exploded and I need the cash. £1000. May also trade for a custom shop strat". 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I`ve sold some of my fave guitars myself.......sometimes life happens and you simply need the money. I always have 5 to 8 guitars around....but 2 will never be for sale(1 is hand made and beaten to sh*t from touring and other is a present). So, it leaves me with a couple of cheaper guitars and maybe 2 more expensive ones.
    And those more expensive ones are the better ones :-) So, when I am forced to sell something, it is no surprise that the better ones are going out the door.
    Would bet that most of people are in same/similar situation.
    Maybe it is different for people with a bunch of more expensive guitars. If someone`s having 15 Les Paul Standards, from approximately same period of manufacture, he will surely not sell the best one, as it would be worth the same as another LP he is having.