Fender CS Strat - Suhr Classic Pro

What's Hot
CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
edited February 2017 in Guitar
Has anyone owned or played both and would be able to make a comparison?

I've owned a CS Strat before but I've never played a Suhr, so there's my first job. I'd love to hear people's opinions in the mean time, until I get a chance to get out and try some.

I've watched loads of comparison videos on YT but on some the Suhr sounds better. The Fender sounds better on others. Which proves that a good guitar, is a good guitar I guess. I'd still like to hear some first hand experience though.

Any opinions are appreciated.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've owned two Suhrs and two CS Strats.

If you want a vintage style, vintage sounding Strat - go CS. If you want something more modern, go Suhr.

Buying either used is sensible - but particularly with a Suhr, as they drop like a stone from new....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    I think Richard has touched on the valid points - I don't like the word sterile, but in many ways the Suhr does sound more sterile than a more organic voice of a vintage replica from Custom Shop - Suhr maybe  has more of a slick modern playing performance about it - and yes used values on Suhr's are on the lower side - I always find a used Suhr far harder to sell than a used C/Shop
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    If you've had a CS before, try a Suhr - variety is the spice of life.

Just don't buy new... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Before I bought my Suhr Classic (about 10 years ago now) I tried out an extensive selection of Strats including Tom Anderson, Tyler and Fender Custom Shop.  I thought the Anderson, Tyler and Suhrs were pretty much on a par and superior to the Fenders, although this was a while ago and I'd struggle to remember all the ins and outs. I ended up with the Suhr largely for price and aesthetic reasons:  Olympic White with Tortoiseshell and a hundred quid or so cheaper than the Andersons.

I still have a slight yen for the Fender badge, but I've never doubted I picked the better guitar.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    I've just bought a Classic Pro and it's way better than any Fender I have had. It just sits on the couch screaming at me to play it all the time.

Everything is "just right" with it, neck, frets, action, finish. super resonant. Lovely selection of woods, beautifully put together. Trem works, tuners work, it's just like a Fender but about 20% better.

They do come up for sale 2nd hand if your willing to wait for one, I picked up mine 2nd hand off fleabay, 6 months old, metallic finish, no marks, no wear.

Peach still have a few of the ltd metallic ones in stock for £1699, hard to go wrong at that price if you want a new one.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Thanks for the responses. 

If you don't mind me asking what styles of music do you all play? 

I'm hoping to be able to pick up something 2nd hand, but it's unlikely as I'm left handed. High end 2nd hand lefties are like rocking horse shit. I need to sell a guitar first as well. So this isn't going to be a particularly quick process. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1559
    edited February 2017
    I had the same conundrum last year and compared a Suhr to a CS three times in different stores : Guitar Village, Peach and a store in Munich(!). Every time the CS won the battle with its pure vintage tone and overal vibe. The Suhrs always left me cold.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited February 2017
    I had the same conundrum last year and compared a Suhr to a CS three times in different stores : Guitar Village, Peach and a store in Munich(!). Every time the CS won the battle with its pure vintage tone and overal vibe. The Suhrs always left me cold.
    And if I'm honest that's where I got to.... Only I bought both (twice!)

@CHRISB50 - I'm a dull, middle aged bluesy type of player - so my choice is probably as predictable as the music I make :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Would you be looking for a relic/aged vibe or anything like that?
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited February 2017
    Febder Custom Shop Strat is your man, it has the right label on the headstock and the vintage vibe, especially relics. They also seem to have plenty of rattle and fret buzz to go with it against large frets, all part of the charm.

jack the action up for a fat Philip Sayce tone and your home.

Thanks again gents. 

The only answer is to try some I guess.

In my heart of hearts I think I prefer the traditional choice of the Fender. It's the looks I suppose. Boring huh! 

The Suhrs intrigue me more from the aspect of a different playing experience, and the V70 pick ups sound interesting. As @Zodiac51 has found, I'd imagine the builds are pretty perfect. Although obviously Fender CS don't knock out planks. 

The lack of availability of 2nd hand Suhrs is a pain. Therefore I'd probably end up buying new. The drop in value between new and 2nd hand would be hard to swallow. You don't buy a new guitar with the intent of moving it on, but it's still something to consider I suppose. 

@richardhomer that's the style I'd probably plump myself into as well. Hopefully no shame in that! And anyone who appreciates Greeny is ok in my book :)

@Jack_ I've never had a reliced guitar before. The CS I previously owned was a NOS. I would be interested to see what the fuss is about. I do like the look of them within reason. As I've said earlier in the thread, I'm a little more restricted as to the choices I have due to me playing the wrong way round. It's really annoying but a fact of life for southpaws. 

tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:
    Thanks again gents. 

In my heart of hearts I think I prefer the traditional choice of the Fender. It's the looks I suppose. Boring huh! 

The Suhrs intrigue me more from the aspect of a different playing experience, and the V70 pick ups sound interesting. As @Zodiac51 has found, I'd imagine the builds are pretty perfect. Although obviously Fender CS don't knock out planks. 

The lack of availability of 2nd hand Suhrs is a pain. Therefore I'd probably end up buying new. The drop in value between new and 2nd hand would be hard to swallow. You don't buy a new guitar with the intent of moving it on, but it's still something to consider I suppose. 

@richardhomer that's the style I'd probably plump myself into as well. Hopefully no shame in that! And anyone who appreciates Greeny is ok in my book :)

@Jack_ I've never had a reliced guitar before. The CS I previously owned was a NOS. I would be interested to see what the fuss is about. I do like the look of them within reason. As I've said earlier in the thread, I'm a little more restricted as to the choices I have due to me playing the wrong way round. It's really annoying but a fact of life for southpaws. 
    unfortunately your biggest issue is to try and find a lefty - new/used and very little around - I know as a Custom Shop dealer that it is very rare for Fender to have actually any stock in a warehouse, be it the UK EU or USA - No problem on a new custom order but 6 months delivery time and no chance to try before you buy - Plus point is you can custom order to your spec, but in many ways you are guessing that spec - Good luck hunting
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    I really want to try a Suhr. Visually I don't like the headstock, and also the top end of the fretboard being so rectangular. Ultimately that would annoy me and id want the Fender.
     Then I'd get the Fender and it more than likely wouldn't play as nice as the Suhr for my style and I'd sell that as well. 
    CHRISB50 said:
    Thanks again gents. 

unfortunately your biggest issue is to try and find a lefty - new/used and very little around - I know as a Custom Shop dealer that it is very rare for Fender to have actually any stock in a warehouse, be it the UK EU or USA - No problem on a new custom order but 6 months delivery time and no chance to try before you buy - Plus point is you can custom order to your spec, but in many ways you are guessing that spec - Good luck hunting
    Sure. I was actually looking at your site yesterday and I was horrified to see you had NO left handed guitars in stock! :)

It's not an easy process tracking down guitars to try. Coda and Peach tend to have some stock. Guitar Guitar do as well, but their prices tend to be a bit higher. 

I'd have to try before I bought something. The thought of speccing a guitar does appeal, but I'd always rather try before I buy. And a six month wait would be tough. 

I bought my previous CS Strat from Peter Cooks. They always had a few nice guitars in stock, but are gone now. Shame as it was a good place. 

I honestly can't think of anywhere else to look. 

The classifieds here are a wasteland for left handed guitars. On Reverb there doesn't seem to be much about. I avoid Gumtree and the Bay like the plague as both just seem to attract lunatics. 

You'd never believe it would be so difficult to spend a couple of grand!

edited February 2017
    DefaultM said:
    I really want to try a Suhr. Visually I don't like the headstock, and also the top end of the fretboard being so rectangular. Ultimately that would annoy me and id want the Fender.
     Then I'd get the Fender and it more than likely wouldn't play as nice as the Suhr for my style and I'd sell that as well. 
    I know what you mean about the headstock, but it's actually grown on me. I quite like it now. 

I also know where you're coming from re: the dusty end. I guess it's the visual effect of the compound radius. I don't think it would put me off though. 

My issue is the look of the HSS. I listened to a video last night and the HB sounded sweet. The added thickness of tone in the bridge that you get with a HB always sounds better to me than a SC. I just can't get over that it looks wrong to me though! I know you don't buy a guitar to look at but it's one thing I've never been able to get my head around. A HB with SC pickups on the same guitar just doesn't look right to my eyes. Shame as it sounds great. 

tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:
    Sure. I was actually looking at your site yesterday and I was horrified to see you had NO left handed guitars in stock! :)

It's not an easy process tracking down guitars to try. Coda and Peach tend to have some stock. Guitar Guitar do as well, but their prices tend to be a bit higher. 

I'd have to try before I bought something. The thought of speccing a guitar does appeal, but I'd always rather try before I buy. And a six month wait would be tough. 

As I have  a far smaller selection of stock then Coda and Peach it is hard to justify a selection of lefties - Hard to cover various many of the options available - I buy 50's Strat you want 60's - I buy lightly aged you want seriously aged - I buy 10/56 neck profile and you want 60's C profile - I buy 6105 frets and you want 6100 - Then which colours - I'm sure you get the drift - So as against a half hearted selection it is better to do none - Yet I fully appreciate there are far more right handed models around with so little choice for you - I dare say if you are looking at new then some one like Peach with Suhr and C/Shop is a good option - regarding used, it is just a case of searching again and again and see what crops up - hope the hunt is good in the end - sorry I can't help
    Hey no worries Mark and thanks for your input. I totally understand what you're getting at. 

Something will turn up eventually. Hopefully I have the cash when it does. 

tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:
    Hey no worries Mark and thanks for your input. I totally understand what you're getting at. 

I have had the odd model from time to time, but more the exception than the rule but can keep you in the loop as and when - or indeed if I get any potential southpaws with something suitable to sell
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited February 2017
    DefaultM said:
    Things like this don't bother me.
    The Fender is probably a 'cooler' looking guitar but I value playability above all else.
    Only Tom Anderson does playability better than Suhr in my view, which is why I have a few Andersons and a few Suhrs and no Fenders.
    CHRISB50 said:

I have had the odd model from time to time, but more the exception than the rule but can keep you in the loop as and when - or indeed if I get any potential southpaws with something suitable to sell
    Thanks very much. I would appreciate that.