Fender CS Strat - Suhr Classic Pro

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    octatonic said:
    DefaultM said:
    I really want to try a Suhr. Visually I don't like the headstock, and also the top end of the fretboard being so rectangular. Ultimately that would annoy me and id want the Fender.
     Then I'd get the Fender and it more than likely wouldn't play as nice as the Suhr for my style and I'd sell that as well. 
    Things like this don't bother me.
    The Fender is probably a 'cooler' looking guitar but I value playability above all else.
    Only Tom Anderson does playability better than Suhr in my view, which is why I have a few Andersons and a few Suhrs and no Fenders.
    Sure, I'm starting to come round to this way of thinking. Although I still can't get my head around the look of HSS set ups.  

The playability aspect and the V70's are attracting me to these. And the fact they have a nice balance between modern and classic looks / features. 

Having just seen seen the new JM's which I didn't even know existed, I'm becoming more of a Suhr fan. Those JM's are pretty sexy. It doesn't look like they are catering for us poor lefties again though. Shame. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 448
    A different vibe to the classic I know, but I recently picked up my first Suhr, a Modern Satin and it's the best playing guitar I've ever laid my hands on (and I've owned a CS Strat and still have an EJ) so in terms of build, resonance and generally silky feeling when playing I'd go for the Suhr. 

As others have said though it lacks character for want of a better word....but damn it plays so good.

Try both!

Best of luck
  • Went from a CS 57 Strat to a Classic Pro and wouldn't go back.  Suhr is quiet (No single coil hummmmmmmm) and much, much better to play (IMO).  Better made too, although the CS 57 was very nice the Suhr is another league.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • I had a couple of Suhr Classics, and I replaced the last one with a Custom Shop Strat (one of the Coda Dealer Select ones). For me personally the Fender is a far better guitar - the Suhrs felt pretty "cold" in comparison.

I had a similar experience with Andersons, actually - eventually replaced with a Nocaster. Having said that, I now have a pair of K Line Truxtons and no Fender Teles, so I'd strongly urge you to look at a K Line Springfield too.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    If you are leaning towards Suhrs I would strongly suggest checking out a TA. I prefer then personally.
    I would agree though, if you actually want a Fender, get a Fender.
  • CHRISB50 said:
    @richardhomer that's the style I'd probably plump myself into as well. Hopefully no shame in that! And anyone who appreciates Greeny is ok in my book :)
    Thank you - I'd like to think you're right!

I've just posted a SoundCloud link in the 'Post You Stuff Here' thread at the top of the 'Music' section of me playing the 56 Relic in my profile pic.

The tone is what I think of as 'vintage Strat'.
    I won't get a chance this weekend but I will try to get out next week and get my hands on a Suhr. I've never even held one
    so I need to at least do that before thinking further. 

Guitar Guitar in Epsom have both the Classic Pro's and a couple of CS Strats so I can make a direct comparison. 

Tom Anderson is just a step too far into modern guitar design for me. They look like the build quality will be amazing, but they are just a bit too modern looking for my taste.

I think I'm still a classic Fender fan deep down but I'm willing to be converted by the Classic Pro.

Thanks again @richardhomer. I'll have a listen to your soundcloud. The 59 I was listening to on a YT demo had quite a tight almost compressed sound which I quite liked. Once it started to break up the pickups retained that Fender twang. My 1960, and the 1961's I've been checking out have sounded a bit looser for want of a better word. I'll be interested to hear yours. How are you finding it? What pickups does your 56 have?

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited February 2017
    CHRISB50 said:
    Thanks again @richardhomer. I'll have a listen to your soundcloud. The 59 I was listening to on a YT demo had quite a tight almost compressed sound which I quite liked. Once it started to break up the pickups retained that Fender twang. My 1960, and the 1961's I've been checking out have sounded a bit looser for want of a better word. I'll be interested to hear yours. How are you finding it? What pickups does your 56 have?

It has the CS 50s pick-ups which l'm pretty sure have never been available, other than in a CS guitar. They're fantastic - really clear - but not harsh and have loads of depth. The guitar has an Ash body which I suspect helps with that too.

I didn't think I liked maple necks until I tried this - but I love everything about it. Every position sounds fantastic - the bridge pick-up sounds not unlike a black-guard Tele.

The link I've posted is played straight into the clean channel of a Mesa Lonestar Special - so what you are hearing is the guitar. The only effect is reverb from the amp.
    OK thanks for letting me know. I'll have a listen.

I've always been a maple hater. I love the look of it on the right guitar, especially as it wears, but my fingertips don't seem to get on with it. I will give it another chance though as I think the examples I've tried perhaps haven't been the best. It also adds more options to my search.

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    edited February 2017

octatonic said:
    DefaultM said:
    I really want to try a Suhr. Visually I don't like the headstock, and also the top end of the fretboard being so rectangular. Ultimately that would annoy me and id want the Fender.
     Then I'd get the Fender and it more than likely wouldn't play as nice as the Suhr for my style and I'd sell that as well. 
    Things like this don't bother me.
    The Fender is probably a 'cooler' looking guitar but I value playability above all else.
    Only Tom Anderson does playability better than Suhr in my view, which is why I have a few Andersons and a few Suhrs and no Fenders.
    Same here.  Even tone isn't much of an issue for me.  The tonal difference between one well made Strat type guitar with good quality mainstream pickups on it and another doesn't interest me much, it's all about feel and playability.  I'm pretty sure I'd have ranked the guitars I tried exactly the same even before I plugged them in. 

The Fenders lost out the the boutique brands in terms of playability.  For me the choice was, are you willing to sacrifice a bit of playability in return for a slightly cooler badge, given that only a tiny percentage of your audience will ever notice and most of those who do won't care.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”