New Supro Electric Guitars

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
in Guitar tFB Trader
Can't recall who was asking on a recent Namm show info about the new Supro Guitars - but click here and read a review courtesy of www.premierguitars.com and watch the video clip as well - http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/25108-supro-westbury-review?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PGN - 020716&utm_term=PG Weekly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
     Cool, thanks for posting. I can see one of these new Supros in my future if they play and sound as good as they appear to.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
     Cool, thanks for posting. I can see one of these new Supros in my future if they play and sound as good as they appear to.
    recall the original comment etc - but could not recall who or indeed find the last blog - so no problem 
  • It was me! They've got them in stock at Ivor Mariants but not had a chance to play one yet. Will report back when I do.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    It was me! They've got them in stock at Ivor Mariants but not had a chance to play one yet. Will report back when I do.
    Ivor Marriants is owned by Hornby Skewes who are the importers so yes I'd expect them to get stock first - let us know thoughts and comments after - They might have a stand at the show at Birmingham at the end of the month (Hornby Skewes that is) so maybe  a chance to check one at then if you are around
  • Managed to nip down to Ivor Mariants today, they've only got the wood bodied Island series guitars in currently, the res-o-glass ones are due in in around 10 days.

I played the 3-pickup Hampton variation, first impressions were good, it felt well finished, and well put together, the matt finish on the back of the neck was a nice touch but it ended at a diagonal line at the top and bottom of the neck, which struck me as a little odd.

The Hampton is a weighty guitar, not a back killer, but certainly got some substance to it, I felt like a lot of the weight was in the neck. Speaking of the neck, it was a nice palm-full (I've got smallish hands) with a good fretboard radius, nothing felt difficult to play.

I particularly liked the pickups, three mini-humbucker sized gold foils sound great, each position offers a slightly different tone, chosen by a five way selector, my favourites were:
    • Neck with the tone rolled off, lovely an bassy with no mud at all
    • Middle only - very responsive to the tone control, you could really get a lot of variation out of this
    • Bridge with neck - With tone about 3/4 on this would be my go to sound, bit of bite if you dig in but with plenty of body.
    I was particularly impressed by the tone control, it seemed to have a large range and consistent travel, and allowed you to get everything from scoopy quack to teeth shattering treble.

If I was nitpicking, I'd say the 5-way selector felt a little flimsy and volume only had travel for 70% of the knob, and the odd finishing on the back of the neck mentioned above.

In summary, it felt like a well made truly versatile guitar, is it worth the price tag? I'd say yes, particularly if you want a guitar that does a bit of everything well.

Any other questions ask away, I can always nip down again and have another go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Thanks for the mini review - good stuff.

I think it's a bit odd that the Island series are made in Indonesia and the Americana ones are made in China - seems a lot of money all of a sudden for guitars of those origins, this money should buy a South Korean built instrument.