Fender strap retainers

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4978
Apologies if this has been covered in the past - I suspect it has.  If so I did not know how to word a search in the search box.

I recall seeing some Fender rubber washer things in a music shop in Dublin.  These fit outside a guitar or bass strap and keep the strap from slipping out of the strap stud (with disastrous consequences).  Anyone ever tried these and do they work.

I tried a pair of straplocks and did not like them.  Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Relax, have a Grolsch
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • They work great, I've got some essentially the same as the Grolsh washers but in red or black and with Fender writen on them.
    Relax, have a Grolsch
    Flippancy aside - they all do the same job. Depending on the shape of your knob (?!) they will keep a strap on well beyond what the button itself would do.

The grolsch ones are excellent and you get a free beer.

I guess it depends on whether you are a brand whore or not.
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    I was looking for some Grolsch bottle a couple of months back, and most places were just stocking cans.  Then I found a supermarket with the bottles!  But they were a new design, without the rubber washers.  So does anybody know if you can still get these, or if not, what is the rubber washer to buy at a hardware store?

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    I don't drink bottled or canned beers but thanks for the tip.  Actually I never came across Grolsh in any off license that I was in.  But the only time I visit off licenses is to get a bottle of Guinness for the Christmas cooking :)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

richh said:
    I was looking for some Grolsch bottle a couple of months back, and most places were just stocking cans.  Then I found a supermarket with the bottles!  But they were a new design, without the rubber washers.  So does anybody know if you can still get these, or if not, what is the rubber washer to buy at a hardware store?

You can get them on evil bay if you search for grolsch washers or bottle washers
  • Mmmmm Grolsch! Big fan of it in my 20s.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    Amazon sell them by the bag for home brewers or you can get ones on beers in Aldi for cheap. The beers nice too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    @richh pm me your address and I'll send you a couple.  I bought a batch of the seals a couple of years ago and still have a few left
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    Or if you only want to order them in small quantities…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/pairs-BLACK-Rubber-Guitar-Strap/dp/B01MG3J0HF/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1486574115&sr=1-1&keywords=grolsch+washers

That's two pairs, not two… so you have spares if you lose one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    I use them on my LP and strat and I got them on an impulse (they were next to the counter in Guitarguitar - that's how they get ya). 

I'm sure I saw very similar things in b&q the other day. 
  • ICBM said:
    Or if you only want to order them in small quantities…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/pairs-BLACK-Rubber-Guitar-Strap/dp/B01MG3J0HF/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1486574115&sr=1-1&keywords=grolsch+washers

That's two pairs, not two… so you have spares if you lose one.

Those are more expensive than the Fender ones, Fender sell you 4 washers for £3.50 from Richtone (Free Shipping) or for £3.00 at GAK (£1.50 shipping).
  • I bought some from a Home Brew shop. I don't remember how much, but lots of them for not very much.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16661
    richh said:

Normal bottles and cans are brewed under license in the U.K.  Flip tops are imported
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Yup, you can get them in most decent music retailers. I use them all the time. Mainly because Grolsch is pish. They seem to disintegrate after about 12 months though, so check them periodically.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    A mate of mine who is a bass player uses the Jazz bass string tree discs. It looks neat and works a treat.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    Those are more expensive than the Fender ones, Fender sell you 4 washers for £3.50 from Richtone (Free Shipping) or for £3.00 at GAK (£1.50 shipping).
    Fair enough for Richtone, although GAK are still more expensive.

For what it's worth those Amazon ones are slightly stiffer than the original Grolsch ones and grip the button better. I haven't tried the Fender ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I ordered these recently and they're pretty decent: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D4GWLL2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_D2dNyb299ES45

I've always been an advocate of the Grolsch washers but they're harder to get now, and some of the older ones I have are starting to perish.
  • Gassage said:
    A mate of mine who is a bass player uses the Jazz bass string tree discs. It looks neat and works a treat.

PRS does the same.