Swap to Helix from FX8 - your experiences?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    welshboyo said:
    ... remember that you can (via snapshots on Helix) switch in a different IR (say a Deluxe cab) for your clean and (as I do on a few patches) a Mesa 412 for the heavier stuff.

Never played with an AX8 but I'm not sure the Fractal can do this ...
    It can. There are a couple of ways of doing it.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Thanks for all the info and real world experience - that's the important part.

I think I am going to swap - got a session in GuitarGuitar set for Sunday with my amp and cab but gonna ask them to also show me it in a FRFR cab using just the Helix. One of the guys in there has just gone to Helix and IEM using the Mackie mixer with IOS support to use in a gig in Kuala Lumpur of all places!
    He also picked up one of these for it: Helix Flightcase

Watched a lot of vids, read a lot of posts and think it's a good choice.

I know AX8 is more in line with Helix for comparison but my plan was to always have the real amp so FX8 was ideal (and still fantastic) - now I am considering modelling mixed with real amp the Helix seems a good choice.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9524
    edited February 2017
    @vaiai - having owned both, I believe that the FX8 is superior, especially if you are using it with a real amp.

I'll tell you why.

The FX8 has an amazing feature which sounds almost not worth mentioning; unity volume.

You plug the FX8 into your amp, and it is INSTANT unity gain/volume. No messing around, not having to set levels, etc etc.

Stunning, and amongst the best verb and delay sounds that I have heard and encountered.

4CM is effortless, easy and silent.
    edited February 2017
    @vaiai - having owned both, I believe that the FX8 is superior, especially if you are using it with a real amp.

IDD with your points but I feel ready to move into the stage monitor/FOH world. The unity gain is one of the main reasons I went for the FX8 too and it is great. I'd like to do some home recording too though although live is my primary requirement.

One test I am doing is watching Helix vids and then thinking about how/if I can do the same on the FX8.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7322
    Ah right helix has amp modelling. I thought it was fx only. 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1814
    edited February 2017
    I have never had an issue with the Unity Volume thing with the Helix, provided you change the main volume knob to something else other than the 1/4" outs then it will output at unity..

I know Waz had a Helix at 1 point but that was an early firmware and things have improved drastically since then and it's unfair for him to make such comments IMO - the FX8 is not superior and I have done circa 150 gigs on each so I have plenty of real world on the 2...

You won't be disappointed..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • From talking to @Drew_TNBD he seems happy using the Helix in 4CM with his amps. That guy is picky :)

In fairness the Fractal has also had a lot of updates in recent times too. The drives are basically the same as my real pedals now (whereas before I'd tweak the 3 band).

If you want amps for direct then the Helix is going to be a good choice. When the Helix plugin comes out Helix owners will get a discount on that so as a whole package it's great value for money.

• welshboyo said:
    I have never had an issue with the Unity Volume thing with the Helix, provided you change the main volume knob to something else other than the 1/4" outs then it will output at unity..

I know Waz had a Helix at 1 point but that was an early firmware and things have improved drastically since then and it's unfair for him to make such comments IMO - the FX8 is not superior and I have done circa 150 gigs on each so I have plenty of real world on the 2...

You won't be disappointed..
    How can i be wrong ? My wife knows everything... ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9524
    edited February 2017
    Seriously though, the Helix I tried was an early one... still, so was the earlier Fractal software and it is superb... as ever, ymmv

Actually, Id like to try a Helix maybe... with the new software 
    Well, I had a few hours with the Helix and I think I'm gonna swap - I was thinking I'd need a bit of time to get it set up for next gig but this thing is so easy to use I could take it home today and have a decent sound in 4CM by tonight.
    Loved it - the modelling is a lot better than it used to be in L6 stuff but the functionality, ease of use and a few other features have helped me make the decision to swap :)

On the fly editing with Exp pedal (for the whole effect - not just one parameter) is amazing, assigning the Exp pedal to a single parameter to control it (like feedback on delay or mix etc) was a doddle. Moving FX about in the signal chain was simple too. Capacitive switches are very cool too - just choose an effect in the chain, touch a footswitch and it assigns it to that.

Tried it thru a PA setup first and was surprised how good it sounded when I just made a patch myself - then put it into my Victory V40 FX Return so just using the power section and used amp models and a real 4x12 again - very impressive and more than useable unless you are a tone fanatic.

So FX8 is up for grabs! 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1814
    See, told you!!!
  • Seriously though, the Helix I tried was an early one... still, so was the earlier Fractal software and it is superb... as ever, ymmv

Actually, Id like to try a Helix maybe... with the new software 
    I don't think the helix firmware upgrade to 2.x made much difference at all to the sound. I had good results before, it just took me a long time to dial it into my system. I didn't notice any change with my patches when 2.0 got released or with subsequent releases.

I'd be interested to know what you think if you ever do try one again.