Aside from Guitars (Bass Included) What is?

What's Hot

Comments

• I should add I love piano as well, I've found that when I listen to my music library, I subconsciously prefer songs with heavy piano parts. 

One of the best live shows I've ever been to was Margo Price live at Rough Trade East, they have some videos on YouTube, and I highly recommend you listen to Hands Of Time. This concert was a very small In Store show and I was right at the start. It was just Margo's Voice, her J45 and either a Piano or an Accordion accompanying. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I should add I love piano as well, I've found that when I listen to my music library, I subconsciously prefer songs with heavy piano parts. 

One of the best live shows I've ever been to was Margo Price live at Rough Trade East, they have some videos on YouTube, and I highly recommend you listen to Hands Of Time. This concert was a very small In Store show and I was right at the start. It was just Margo's Voice, her J45 and either a Piano or an Accordion accompanying. 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Drums for me, it's the only other instrument I've ever really had a go at. Snare and hi-hat alone are an incredibly expressive instrument and the only instrument that makes me want to play jazz.

I generally dislike pianos in pop/rock music, but love them as compositional tools. I recently heard Stravinsky's Rite of Spring being explored and explained on solo piano and it was fascinating if you know the original well.

I've had a keyboard in my studio for 15 years but have deliberately never learned anything about how to play it. I use it to write when I'm stuck on a section, my ignorance of it compared to guitars stops me falling into familiar patterns and forces me to slow down and come up with something simple.
  • Really hard question.  I love playing drums and I love mucking about on synths but then a well played sax or violin is a beautiful thing.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Drums provided the player can actually drum, not just hit things randomly.

Keyboards, for a different musical texture.

Depending on context a well played piano is a thing of beauty.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• That I can't play, but would like to: piano. 

That I can play: Mandolin. 

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    I love double bass in a rockabilly style.  Not sure I could fit one in my house, though....
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    Really close call between piano and cello.

I had piano lessons as a kid, but only reached grade 1 before my teacher died. She was a lovely old lady.

I can play sax, and now that my youngest having lessons there is one in the house I can use. I'm copying her lesson and practice plan to get my chops back.

I wish I had room at home for a piano though.
  • Drums

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    Sax and then piano
  • Really close call between piano and cello.

I had piano lessons as a kid, but only reached grade 1 before my teacher died. She was a lovely old lady.

I can play sax, and now that my youngest having lessons there is one in the house I can use. I'm copying her lesson and practice plan to get my chops back.

I wish I had room at home for a piano though.

You can get some pretty small Pianos with a folding stand to store away somewhere. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    I'd love to play a violin really well.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I can't name just one!

Ones I love and can play to greater or lesser extent:
    Piano, drums, chapman stick

Ones I love and can't play: 
    Uilleann pipes, flute, violin
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Piano then drums for me.

Im already pretty good with a Vibraslap.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    The Irish whistle for me or an Erhu, both sound divine when played well.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • steersteer Frets: 1159
    No love for the Stylophone? Whats the matter with you all? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I play a bit of harmonica but I love the sound of double bass, cello and the trumpet. 

By and large I'm not keen on the sound of the piano despite it's many mentions so far.  Although I dislike cymbals more than anything I think. I once saw Elliott Randall do a blues gig and instead of a drummer he had a percussionist doing bongo type stuff and that was perfect for me. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

I love piano. I'm crap at it, but the true co-ordination of right & left hands is really something I'd recommend guitar-only people to have a stab at. And the sound of two big handfuls of notes spanning three octaves (or more) sound huge......

(I'd also like to dabble in Guqin or Koto, they're somewhere on the long list of stuff I'd like to get into but haven't yet.)

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    edited February 2017
    Piano - would love to be able to play it....
    Lots of love for piano on here. It's never too late Richard!

My my daughter is learning and I'm so tempted to do it alongside her. It will only help her if I can oversee her practice with some knowledge of anything she is doing wrong or struggling with.

I attend the lessons with her and try and watch the whole lesson rather than sit there pissing about on my phone or whatever. 

I'm afraid if I don't start to learn soon she will be more advanced and I won't be able to help.

For anyone thinking about piano a good starter digital is a cheaper than a mid range guitar...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    edited February 2017
    Hammond.  
    Easily my favourite sound after the guitar.