12 fret dreadnoughts

What's Hot

Any love for these... versus 14 fretters?

What are your experiences with regard to tone differences etc.?

Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11882
    yes, I have 2 - both amazing tone
  • yes, I have 2 - both amazing tone

What types do you have... and how does the tone differ from a 14 fret model.

Thanks

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    i had a collings 12fret dread what a guitar,  no idea why i sold it, sweeter tone, huge sound
    yes, I have 2 - both amazing tone

What types do you have... and how does the tone differ from a 14 fret model.

Thanks

I have a  Larrivee  SD60 - slope shouldered dread.  incredibly detailed full sound. I had 3 other Larrivees, and sold them all,  when I started buying more upmarket guitars, I kept this one.

I have an Avalon  L1­320C, which is a baritone tuned D-D
    Again, I have other Avalons, and this sounds the best. the cutaway helps reach  those frets.
    Again, much richer and full sound. I have no vocabulary to explain  in further detail. 

I play fingerstyle btw, not a strummer

• @ToneControl and @mgaw. Thanks for the (GAS-inducing) info.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited February 2017
    played a Larrivee 12 freter a few years ago - still remember it was the best gitar in the shop - sound and playability, over Martins, Taylor and Huss & Dalton (sp?).
    spruce 'n Hog IIRC

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5626
    I've just bought a Martin HD-28VS. Incredibly rich, detailed tone - it makes all of my other acoustics sound a bit ordinary.
  • AliGorie said:
    played a Larrivee 12 freter a few years ago - still remember it was the best gitar in the shop - sound and playability, over Martins, Taylor and Huss & Dalton (sp?).
    spruce 'n Hog IIRC

Sounds like a Larrivees SDS50 TSB - I recently sold mine purely because I couldn't get on with the wider neck.  That I spent 6 years persevering with the neck says it all;  Great guitar and better than any Martin or Taylor dreadnought I have played/owned. Never
    ayed the SDS 60 but would love to
    AliGorie said:
    spruce 'n Hog IIRC

Sounds like a Larrivees SDS50 TSB - I recently sold mine purely because I couldn't get on with the wider neck.  That I spent 6 years persevering with the neck says it all;  Great guitar and better than any Martin or Taylor dreadnought I have played/owned. Never
    My SD60 TSB is  much the same I think - just rosewood back and side instead of mahogany. Sounds great
    I phone them once, asking about baritones, and the guy who answered said  they based the baritone on the SD60 since it was a tone cannon, and he'd been really please when he worked on those

I love the wider neck, since I played nylon a lot in the past, and like open tunings with high chord voicings with open strings
  • AliGorie said:
    spruce 'n Hog IIRC

My SD60 TSB is  much the same I think - just rosewood back and side instead of mahogany. Sounds great
    I phone them once, asking about baritones, and the guy who answered said  they based the baritone on the SD60 since it was a tone cannon, and he'd been really please when he worked on those

I love the wider neck, since I played nylon a lot in the past, and like open tunings with high chord voicings with open strings
    I just couldn't get on with the wider neck but liked the guitar so much that I persevered for 6 years before accepting my hands weren't going to magically get bigger.  Replaced it with a Santa Cruz Tony Rice, so not too bad an alternative!
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Played the Faith Mars 12th fret slope shoulder dread in a shop, ended up buying the 14 fret Mars instead.

Both sounded great, but, I preferred the narrower nut of the 14 fret model. 

There were differences in how they sounded too, but, it's been a while and I can't say for certain what they were. 
  • I have a Martin D18VS custom . Adirondack .
    Amazing guitar. The most versatile guitar I've owned
    Over the years I have been lucky enough to own over 30 top class instruments always buying and sellling . This one may go up soon 

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I have a Guild Orpheum 12 Fret, not sure they are still making them. It's a sweet guitar, light as a feather and sounds superb.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom