Gibson les paul custom lite.

llewllew Frets: 78
Wondering what all you very helpfull people think of gibsons les paul custom lites? I'm talking about the 80's models not the recent one's. Got some gas for a les paul again and I've seen one of these but a bit suss about the thinner body. The electrics are the standard gibson type rather than the coil tap thing. Thanks in advance llew.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I played a Metallic Pink one once... I kid you not... and I thought it sounded great, but that was a long time ago (mid 90s).

EDIT: Just checked my memory and found this via Google... I know Mr H has been accused of making everything sound the same but...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @fretmeister has one, I think.
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    That sounds great fair play
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I had one briefly.  It was undoubtedly a very nice guitar but the light weight and thinner body felt wrong.     Totally my issue not the guitar but although it looked like a les Paul from the front it didn't feel like a les Paul.    I couldknotbocboy have adjusted but decided to sell it while it was still mint.  
    I'd recommend trying one to see if you like them. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24257
    I've got one of the most recent ones that had proper electronics in it - no coil taps.

I still ripped them out and it now has my favourite Seymours in it.

I really like the guitar. Feels right, and is comfortable for my back
  • warheadwarhead Frets: 97
    edited February 2017
    impmann said:
    I played a Metallic Pink one once... I kid you not... and I thought it sounded great, but that was a long time ago (mid 90s).

EDIT: Just checked my memory and found this via Google... I know Mr H has been accused of making everything sound the same but...

A metallic pink LP....????? Soooo much want :anguished: 
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    I really like the idea of them being  light. Food for thought thanks all.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    I had one of the newer ones (2013 model) but it's pretty much the same as the '80s models, apart from the originals having ebony boards and the new ones having rosewood (unfortunately).

@John_P is right that it feels completely different, but to me that's a good thing.  There's no real difference in construction, just the thinner body, but it hugely improves top fret access and makes the guitar feel much more manageable.

The light weight is a good thing too, but that can be achieved in different ways - I've got a chambered LP which is super-light but still feels like a normal one with the thick body and bulky neck joint.

The Custom Lite is a great idea.  I wish they made more thin-body LPs.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7336
    warhead said:
    impmann said:

A metallic pink LP....????? Soooo much want :anguished: 
    with matching manicure...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>