New rig idea

timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
im sure there's plenty of people who do this already! 

My idea is:
laney irt studio
digitech gsp

run in 4cm so I can use some of the digitechs preamps into the laney power amp but still get my core drive tone from the laney. 

Anyone see any any shortcomings or faults in that idea? 

Thanks! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sounds good to me. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    I've used a GSP with several different amp heads, combos and preamps (not the IRT though) and it's worked perfectly every time. Should be perfect for what you want.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    I am one of those people :)
    And it works exactly as you are hoping.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    FX_Munkee said:
    I am one of those people :)
    And it works exactly as you are hoping.
    So I could change between the laney drive channel and say a voxy preamp on the digitech? 
    edited February 2017
    Yes, you just set the preset in the GSP to use it's own preamp instead of the external one.
    The GSP works really well in 4CM it's almost like they actually thought about it.
    To clarify, you can set which preamp to use (external ie the Laney or it's own ie a modeller) on a per preset basis. I have some using the Laney's preamp and just use the GSP for modulation and reverb and some using the GSP models.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    This is good news! Cheers @FX_Munkee ;
    For what you're thinking, it's pretty much ideal, because it understands 4CM as a concept. You can use the GSP's drive pedals and modulation effects on a preset with the Laney as your preamp. It will add the drive effects before your preamp and the modulation effects in the loop before the power section. You can change them round if you really want but it does this as default if you set it up in 4CM mode.
    Add to that all the connection options recording wise of the Laney and you have a very versatile little unit.
    I bought both the Laney and the GSP second hand, and for less than £500 together it's seriously good value for what it can do IMHO.
    I was thinking it'll make a good travel rig and over the next year most of what I want to do is recording. 
  • Yep, the GSP is excellent for this. It even has a setup wizard to help you configure it for 4CM!

Only thing is, when using it with my Kraken I found it lost a bit of the low end and a fraction of the high end relative to the amp on its own. Easy fix, though - the GSP has a global EQ.
    <space for hire>