Hello fakeness my old friend.

What's Hot
alalalkasaralalalkasar Frets: 363
So there is a Chinese company making fake klons, like really fake with the lovely enclosures and all.
Honestly if they where a bit cheaper I would get one just for the enclosure.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steersteer Frets: 1188
    Looked at them. Although I like a bit of DIY now and then, I decided that for about the same price I would buy a used Soul food. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • £200 for a Chinese fake? 
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    Ceriatone are also doing one, complete with goop. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The tone is in the goop!
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Would like the box to drop an old and utterly battered sunking into, just to fuck with people. But not for £200 I don't... Knackers to that.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    juansolo said:
    Would like the box to drop an old and utterly battered sunking into, just to fuck with people. But not for £200 I don't... Knackers to that.
    Boss DS-1 circuit? :)

Do you even get the electronics with this, or is it an "upgrade kit" for one of the ones with the non-accurate box? There's nothing in the pics that suggests you get anything more than the casing, knobs, pots, jacks, switch and LED. If so it's even more expensive…

The casing must be by far the most expensive part to make though - if it's a custom casting it could potentially cost more than the rest of it put together, at least until they start selling thousands of them.

Just think, the chap who designed the Klon could probably have avoided all this by licensing the production to a company of his choosing when he still had the chance and before the price of old ones went bonkers...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    edited February 2017
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    I agree with ICBM - original designer won  the lottery, and threw it all away
  • alalalkasaralalalkasar Frets: 363
    edited February 2017
    juansolo said:
    It would be lovely to put a DOD American metal in there and send it back in to the wilds for some tone hound to pick up and gush over the subtle manipulation of the Chrystal lattice.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    juansolo said:
    Boss DS-1 circuit? :)

Do you even get the electronics with this, or is it an "upgrade kit" for one of the ones with the non-accurate box? There's nothing in the pics that suggests you get anything more than the casing, knobs, pots, jacks, switch and LED. If so it's even more expensive…

The casing must be by far the most expensive part to make though - if it's a custom casting it could potentially cost more than the rest of it put together, at least until they start selling thousands of them.

Just think, the chap who designed the Klon could probably have avoided all this by licensing the production to a company of his choosing when he still had the chance and before the price of old ones went bonkers...
    I read somewhere he still builds 1-2 a month and gives them to a 'lady friend' to help support her.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    professorben said:

I read somewhere he still builds 1-2 a month and gives them to a 'lady friend' to help support her.
    The horsey ones, or the ones with the insufferably pompous quote on them?

It would still have probably been more profitable to licence the design and give some of the cash to the lady friend anyway… all that's happened now is that if these Chinese horsey ones are good, they'll kill the market for the other ones. Good luck trying to stop them, even if the horsey is a registered artwork/trademark.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited February 2017
    The soul food all but killed the market for them. £60 and it doesn't sound much different. Job done. He had 14 years or so of a monopoly on the thing and a trainload of hype along with it if he'd wanted to capitalise on it. He chose not to. That's all there is to it really.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    I don't get if its a full pedal either. The picture and the top of the description implies it's something you have to make yourself, but then it says 'You're getting a hand-made, fully-tested pedal...'