RIP Steve Hewlett - Anyone else been listening.?

hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
edited February 2017 in Tributes
Radio 4 during PM on a Monday. 

Very moving. Eddie Mair is a brilliant and sympathetic interviewer 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes, it's been required listening.  I listen in the car on my way home, if I get home and the interview hasn't finished, I sit in the car until it does.  
  • Yes - Hewlett is a professional journalist to his core - and I agree Eddie Mair is exceptional when interviewing him. Humbling experience listening to their pieces....
  • richhrichh Frets: 449
    I've heard a few.  Sobering stuff, and inspiring too.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Remarkable stuff.
  • I've been listening. sobering stuff.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    I fear it is going to become increasingly difficult to listen in the coming weeks. Remarkable fellow,  I do hope if ever I have to go like that I could conduct myself with as much dignity.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, I've been listening on my drive home. Funny thing is, to begin with I always wanted to change the station, because there's something about cancer that's scary, even just to hear it happening to someone else. But as it's gone on I've found that compunction to turn it off has gone away and just enjoyed how open he's being. I was properly sad on this week to hear where he's at now.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited February 2017
    Cirrus said:
    Yeah, I've been listening on my drive home. Funny thing is, to begin with I always wanted to change the station, because there's something about cancer that's scary, even just to hear it happening to someone else. But as it's gone on I've found that compunction to turn it off has gone away and just enjoyed how open he's being. I was properly sad on this week to hear where he's at now.
    Indeed - had missed this week's and caught up with it as a result of this thread. Even though it sounds like he may only have days left, he was still humorous and delivered the details of what has unfolded over the last few days with journalistic detachment. 

I agree with your instinct to change channel initially - but I soon got over that  too.

I hope when I'm at the same stage in my life that I'm able to handle it with the same fortitude as him....
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    Sodding hell that was quick

RIP Steve Hewlett 
  • Oh God, no. How sad, he had a lovely radio voice.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited February 2017
    His last interview with Eddie Mair, recorded earlier today I think? Brings a tear to my eye.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04sv0kd

• Gutted - just listened to a compilation of his interviews on PM driving home. Eddie Mair is a class act - these pieces have been astonishing radio.

RIP indeed....
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    My wife's uncle has the same form of cancer and has been listening  to the series of interviews over the past few months. Up until this point he'd taken great comfort hearing of Steves experience with treatment / dealing with the inevitable. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    My wife has been on about this for a few weeks now and missed the last episode and only found out today and like Richard, she has just ploughed through a host of copies on the iplayer - Reminds me a touch of Radio 2 last night (Sunday) and the 70's programme with J Walker and an interview this week with Wilko and how he had only 10 months left to live and his thoughts etc - Yet thankfully he has pulled through
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 604
    One truly amazing character - RIP!