What amp should I get?

What's Hot
Hey, I have been offered two trades on a hughes and kettner tubemeister18 the first being a usa peavey delta blues and the second being a fender blues deluxe 212, does anyone have any experience with these amps or maybe know which I should go for? I play mostly blues rock and need a good base for pedals, generally I play a strat. any help would be really appreciated thanks :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72228
    The Blues Deville (not a Deluxe if it's a 2x12") is so much better an amp than the Delta Blues it's almost funny - take that one. A lot of people don't seem to want an amp this size and weight any more, but it's a fantastic pedal platform. They (and the similar Hotrod Deville) are used by many world-class touring rock bands because they're so solid-sounding and dependable.

Some people will say the drive channel is no good, but I don't agree - on the Blues, it doesn't have a huge amount of drive but it sounds really good when the amp is turned up a bit. If it's too loud you can easily tame it with a simple volume box in the FX loop.

The Delta Blues is just a Peavey Classic 30 with tremolo and a 15" (or 2x10") speaker. It has all the same problems as the C30 - pretty average build quality, difficult to work on and a tendency to run hot and eat valves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

I concur.

I do like the sound of the Peavey Delta Blues (mind you this could be because I like tremolo!), but the build quality is no where near as good as the Deville.

Used Devilles really look a bit of a bargain, as I expect loud heavy amps are not fashionable. A lot of amp (and weight) for the money.

I would check that the Deville has been converted to 240V mains as they can run a bit hot wired to 230.
  • That's great, thanks a lot for the replies guys I meant to say deville haha :) I'll definitely be going with the Fender, it not having a whole lot of drive is fine for me as I generally use a Paul C Timmy anyway, Cheers :)
    jpfamps said:

I would check that the Deville has been converted to 240V mains as they can run a bit hot wired to 230.
    It also reduces the volume a tiny bit, not much but every little helps with such a loud amp!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ok I will, if it isn't converted is it an easy process to convert it or will it likely be expensive?
    Very easy, you just need to swap two push-connectors on the PCB.

• ok cool cheers, I'll have it looked over by a tech when I get it so I'll mention that to him :)