Pricing a Peach

What's Hot
Possibly more relevant to acoustics than electrics, let's say you have AN other production guitar which definitely plays and sounds better than any other of the same make and model and year, do you put a premium on it or just go for street price? 

We we all know that guitars vary so much, and those of us with years of experience under our belt know how to tell a peach from a pig, so if you are selling an exceptional example of a mass produced guitar how do you do it. 

This is discussion is about sub say £500 guitars where will be lots of the same about .
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited February 2017
    Everyone who's ever sold a guitar has claimed that it's a peach, so how would you expect joining the club to allow you to sell for a premium above all the others who are claiming the one they have "really sings" etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    Years of experience under your belt and you ask a rookie question? That peach of a guitar (that's so good you want to sell it) won't fetch a penny more than another guitar of the same model, year, colour, condition, etc. It may sell quicker, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • You know both of you are right in a way, my thoughts are that due to the virtual guitar market we have today people just look at the Parkers of Guitars i.e. eBay put in year make colour and type and price accordingly. The actual value of a good instrument over a bad one has disappeared. Even in the vintage market playability and tone are not a facture in the buying process
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    edited February 2017
    'Twas ever thus. The 'value of a good instrument' is in the hands and ears of the beholder. And, of course, one man's overly bright guitar is another man's perfect sounding guitar.

Any guitar that's for sale is, by definition, not a keeper.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    What makes a guitar great for me may not for you! I like low action and very low frets for a slick fast comfortable playing action. I'm in the minority there. What makes your guitar special may only be special for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I don't think it's worth more just because someone thinks it's a peach.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Akerlof's 'Market for Lemons'.....the buyer is only prepared to pay the average price for an instrument (spanning from Lemons to Peaches), the seller with a lemon is happy to punt it up to the middle of the price spectrum but the seller with the peach is unlikely to want to come down. Therefore the peaches get priced out progressively and all we are left with is lemons. Hence the value in forums such as this as it allows members to build trust and remove the asymmetrical understanding between buyer and seller i.e. If @miserneil ; or @darcym are selling something and tell me it's good, I'm more inclined to believe them from previous experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Possibly more relevant to acoustics than electrics, let's say you have AN other production guitar which definitely plays and sounds better than any other of the same make and model and year, do you put a premium on it or just go for street price? 

We we all know that guitars vary so much, and those of us with years of experience under our belt know how to tell a peach from a pig, so if you are selling an exceptional example of a mass produced guitar how do you do it. 

This is discussion is about sub say £500 guitars where will be lots of the same about .
    So you've got years of experience yet your asking a ridiculous question!!!!
    your also missing the fact that opinions are very subjective.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom