Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's your most under-rated pedal?

What's Hot
timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
With so much hype around some existing pedals and new ones released to much fan fare, what's your most under-rated pedal? Maybe it was a bargain, maybe home-made or by a barely known builder, or has no youtube clips so its gone under the radar. What gets your vote?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Still the Ibanez OT10.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Boss Metal Zone.

If guitarists learned how to use it properly then it's a very capable pedal.

Problem is most try it, and have the gain too high.

Used into a crunchy Marshall, with the gain no more than 2/3rds up then it can make some very usable sounds.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    MI Effects Crossover gets my vote. Feels like one that slipped under the radar, not many demo's around...
  • MXR BOD as a guitar octaver. It's awesome (on bass too of course).

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    Dunlop Cry Baby 535. *Not* 535Q, they're different. The original 535 - which has only one four-position rotary switch, a boost button and a level control on the bottom - is the best-sounding wah ever made.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ibanez TS9DX. It seems to be the tubescreamers that no one likes but honestly I bloody love it. 
    How very rock and roll
  • Piod Effects What You Want 2 - my favourite high gainer. Took me over a year to find one as it's rare, but once I got it (whilst in Vegas last year), it knocked two big players off my board.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Marshall Guv'nor II. Pick one up used for £20-25 any day of the week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Goes for nearly all my pedals... but they can sound great when mixed 'n' matched. No regrets with any... well may the Digitech Synth Wah but I won that, but could've opted for another model so that's the regret bit... I use it with my Juno Synth now though for added parameters...still not that great though...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    Marshall Guv'nor II. Pick one up used for £20-25 any day of the week.
    I genuinely think these are one of the best Marshall In A Box pedals there is, at any price. The 'deep' control is what sets it apart and really gives some of the resonance of a 4x12".

Its main fault is the horrible little stacked knobs, which are fiddly to adjust and hard to see where they're set - I've always wondered what would happen if someone re-boxed one (literally, not built a clone of the circuit) in a Hammond box with six full-size pots, and reviewed it on TGP as the latest $300 boutique job...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    ICBM said:
    Marshall Guv'nor II. Pick one up used for £20-25 any day of the week.
    I genuinely think these are one of the best Marshall In A Box pedals there is, at any price. The 'deep' control is what sets it apart and really gives some of the resonance of a 4x12".

Its main fault is the horrible little stacked knobs, which are fiddly to adjust and hard to see where they're set - I've always wondered what would happen if someone re-boxed one (literally, not built a clone of the circuit) in a Hammond box with six full-size pots, and reviewed it on TGP as the latest $300 boutique job...
    ...bit like what Digitech did with their Polara, Obscura etc - worked a treat for them...
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    BBE Wah
    MXR Distortion+
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4525
    The nux mod core had many great sounds
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    bbill335 said:
    BBE Wah
    MXR Distortion+

Oh, good call on the Distortion+

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Vertex Axis Wah

Failing that Boss TU-2. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EHX Memory Man Hazarai doesnt get the love it deserves I don't think, its actuually pretty crazy. It's actually kinda in between a delay and a real time sampler in some respects, like you can control the volume of each subsequent repeat independently of number of repeats, unlike the standard feedback control on most delays. My favourite is to have 3 quick repeats all at the same volume after the note played, gets a weird tremolo picking effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ibanez / Maxon FL9 - a really nice flanger that doesnt often gets mentioned.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    Jetter pedals