Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's your most under-rated pedal?

What's Hot

Comments

• FezFez Frets: 499
    Marshall Ed the Compressor. Broken record time - Marshall re-package those effect pedals.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peaches said:
    My favourite is to have 3 quick repeats all at the same volume after the note played, gets a weird tremolo picking effect.
    Do you have the settings for that sound?  

The EHX MMH is a incredibly versatile pedal.  I've had mine for a while but sometimes struggled to get the best out of it as there is so much it can do, it can overwhelm!  
  • My good ol' volume pedal, family all love it  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My good ol' volume pedal, family all love it  ;)
    On silent  :#
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Boss FZ2. Picked it up in the tail end of 2016 and I keep finding myself reaching for it. nice little fuzz.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1370
    Vertex Axis Wah. 
    Hey, we have similar taste in wah!  :#
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    peaches said:
    My favourite is to have 3 quick repeats all at the same volume after the note played, gets a weird tremolo picking effect.

The EHX MMH is a incredibly versatile pedal.  I've had mine for a while but sometimes struggled to get the best out of it as there is so much it can do, it can overwhelm!  
    Beautiful sounding repeats on that pedal but I couldn't get to grips with the controls, iirc they vary depending upon which type of delay is selected - very confusing.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11872
    Joyo graphic EQ
    I have two, one set with a scoop, one with a mid-boost
    then I can  fix any pickup to fit the mood
  • Naga viper, muy bueno
  • Digitech bass synth wah

Or maybe the boss df-2. I only know of one other person in the universe who likes it. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72206

Or maybe the boss df-2. I only know of one other person in the universe who likes it. 
    :)

Not only likes it, thinks it's the best distortion pedal ever...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• peaches said:
    EHX Memory Man Hazarai doesnt get the love it deserves I don't think, its actuually pretty crazy. It's actually kinda in between a delay and a real time sampler in some respects, like you can control the volume of each subsequent repeat independently of number of repeats, unlike the standard feedback control on most delays. My favourite is to have 3 quick repeats all at the same volume after the note played, gets a weird tremolo picking effect.
    Agreed. So many good sounds in this unit and very hands on. Takes some time to learn what the knobs do in each function but it's worth learning. 

• I'm really warming to my CTC Blackface Stardust.  Finally found a drive that works with my Princeton... gives any thing from light grit to full on crunch! combined with the Hotcake I've been able to get some suprisingly good Pavement tones.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Works amazingly well at low volume too
  • DOD201, does everything I could want in a phaser and costs about £50 second hand. Job done. 

Honorable mention for the Jumbo Tonebender that @juansolo makes. Feels hard to "underrate" a pedal made by a guy who does it for fun and transistor money but it's absolutely cracking and not something that's really available elsewhere. 
  • Agreed the dod 201 is a wonderful phaser. 
  • ICBM said:

I'm not a massive fan of it at high high gain, but for rock crunch it's really great and for low gain overdrive, it's absolutely the bomb. Never heard better. 

Not good for boosting an already driven amp, but it is good for adding distortion (or overdrive) to an already driven amp with the level at unity, too. 

I'm also going to tag @mike_l for his suggestion. If it was called the parametric fuzz bomb or something, it would be received better. Also good at high gain heavy marshall rhythm tones, but needs dialling. Very underrated. 
    ICBM said:

I'm not a massive fan of it at high high gain, but for rock crunch it's really great and for low gain overdrive, it's absolutely the bomb. Never heard better. 

Not good for boosting an already driven amp, but it is good for adding distortion (or overdrive) to an already driven amp with the level at unity, too.
    Yes - I never use it with the gain above halfway. I never use any overdrive pedal to push an amp harder either, only to add dirt to what's already there at roughly unity volume, so I suppose that's why I've found the same!

I did think it was a bit more widely known about though, which is why I didn't pick it as my 'most under-rated' first - the Dunlop 535 is almost unknown, let alone under-rated.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I'm also going to tag @mike_l for his suggestion.
    3rd comment fella. And I'll stand by what I said.
    Most reject it as they haven't used it with a decent amp/guitar and set the gain too high.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:
      I'm also going to tag @mike_l for his suggestion.
    3rd comment fella. And I'll stand by what I said.
    Most reject it as they haven't used it with a decent amp/guitar and set the gain too high.
    Or spent the time to work with the EQ and find out how powerful and sensitive it is. Many guitarists seem to want to just whack the controls anywhere and if it doesn't automatically sound great - let alone try to dial it in accurately - pronounce the gear as crap.