carvin legacy preamp (Updated:Now NAD)

What's Hot
FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
edited March 2017 in Amps
Teaser video released on the carvin FB page of something new that's Vai related to be announced shortly

Steve let the cat out of the bag though a few days back in a recent rig rundown so we all know what's coming 

Anyway if the price isn't stupid then I'm in

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited February 2017

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    Wasn't too keen on that tone he was using in that video. Looks like a cool pedal though, even though I have no need for one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • From the spec sheet:

"The ability to reproduce the true Legacy sound could only come from real 12AX7 tubes, utilizing the full Legacy preamp circuit. The four gain stages and tone stacks are faithfully incorporated, running at the same operating conditions as they do in the full Legacy 100-watt amps"

I wonder if that means full amp voltages or not?
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • Available from Thursday though not sure if that's presale 

Still no word on price 
  • Stevepage said:
    Wasn't too keen on that tone he was using in that video. Looks like a cool pedal though, even though I have no need for one.
    Listening to it, I wonder if it's using a cab emulated out. That would be incredibly interesting, because - while it's not a great tone by comparison to a full rig, it does sound pretty good for an analogue cab sim.
    <space for hire>
    edited February 2017
    Just spoke to carvin on FB and they're saying $499 so expect £499 then if not more 
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Oooh :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited February 2017
    Spoke to a really helpful chap at sound unlimited in Plymouth who are the main Carvin uk dealer 

He reckons that due to the crappy exchange rate and shipping and duty that he can't see them going out the door for less than £550 absolute minimum possibly more

Thats pretty shit if I'm honest 
  • Spoke to a really helpful chap at sound unlimited in Plymouth who are the main Carvin uk dealer 

He reckons that due to the crappy exchange rate and shipping and duty that he can't see them going out the door for less than £550 absolute minimum possibly more

Thats pretty shit if I'm honest 
    Cough cough..Brexit...cough. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Better to buy a legacy 3 second hand at £650 or an original legacy 1 between £300-400
  • Sounds quite a lot like his original Jemini to be honest - obviously this is a full blown preamp versus a distortion pedal, but if you wanted a distortion...

The Jemini is a modded ds-1 and SD1 iirc. 
  • Sounds quite a lot like his original Jemini to be honest - obviously this is a full blown preamp versus a distortion pedal, but if you wanted a distortion...

This sounds nothing like the Jemimi. That was an epic fail and sounded dreadful and was used infront of his legacy amp and not as a stand alone pedal

This sounds nothing like the Jemimi. That was an epic fail and sounded dreadful and was used infront of his legacy amp and not as a stand alone pedal

Read my post again. 

I think it sounds like the jemini in front of his carvin - which isn't entirely surprising, given that's basically his sound. He's always used a ds1 and tubescreamer so it would figure this sounds a bit like that, but in the format of an 'amp in a box' for DI/fx return type work. I listened to this demo with the original demo of the jemini and the sound is pretty similar. 

Of course, it could just be his playing...

• Be a cool backup rig though.... Fryette power station and small fx board - yum yum
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Another new video

• £495 U.K price inclusive.  Shipping in March
    edited February 2017
    Ouch
    Tell me about it

Could have been worse though. Original quote was £550-575
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    Sounds quite a lot like his original Jemini to be honest - obviously this is a full blown preamp versus a distortion pedal, but if you wanted a distortion...

Read my post again. 

I think it sounds like the jemini in front of his carvin - which isn't entirely surprising, given that's basically his sound. He's always used a ds1 and tubescreamer so it would figure this sounds a bit like that, but in the format of an 'amp in a box' for DI/fx return type work. I listened to this demo with the original demo of the jemini and the sound is pretty similar. 

Of course, it could just be his playing...

The Jemini was pretty crap. Good idea but it was impossible to get it to sound decent. Ended up selling mine about a month or so after I got it