Noisy grounding on LP

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
If I touch the conductive parts pickup selector or the sleeved cable that runs from the toggle switch / washer down into the control cavity, it sounds like a dodgy earth (noticeable increase in hum and the 'dragging a live mic across the floor' kinda noise)

The solder joints look fine - toggle earth looks a little grey, but it's original and the jack end looks all OK

Giving everything else a general  wiggle / tap makes no difference

Guitar plays fine

Bridge earth is connected (guitar hums less when I touch strings or bridge, but no surprise there)

Am I missing something obvious?
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    edited February 2017
    There's a break in the ground between the cable shield from the switch to the control cavity, and where it's attached in the cavity. The bridge is connected to the jack ground but the cable to the switch isn't. Or possibly the grey-looking joint at the switch end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Erm, resolder the toggle earth?
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Found the issue since my original post - ICBM nailed it

4 wires left the toggle switch cavity, but only 3 were connected at t'other end and the earth shield was not grounded

Now sorted - thanks

This was my guitar originally and I've recently re-bought it, so I know who did the wiring work (a guy whose since left his job as guitar tech for Guitar Guitar in Epsom) and this this isn't the first issue I've seen from him

The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • SunDevil said:
    Found the issue since my original post - ICBM nailed it

4 wires left the toggle switch cavity, but only 3 were connected at t'other end and the earth shield was not grounded

Now sorted - thanks

This was my guitar originally and I've recently re-bought it, so I know who did the wiring work (a guy whose since left his job as guitar tech for Guitar Guitar in Epsom) and this this isn't the first issue I've seen from him

Oof.

Glad you got it sorted.