Help Required to Identify a Gibson Case Please

What's Hot
darrenpdarrenp Frets: 116
edited February 2017 in Guitar

Afternoon

I recently bought a used Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute, which came with a well used hard case.

The case isn't really suitable for the Tribute, as the back of the headstock touches the case when the guitar is in place. If I put my Standard in it there's some clearance, but not a lot. I assume because the body is slightly thicker.

I want to sell the case, as I don't need it, but I don't want to mis-advertise it, so I was wondering whether anyone has any idea what it's supposed to be for. Could it be for some sort of reissue with less of a break angle at the headstock?

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/dmpointing/IMG_1236_zpsfctzdzaj.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/dmpointing/IMG_1237_zpshbmhrpbu.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/dmpointing/IMG_1242_zpsv4f0ldph.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/dmpointing/IMG_1244_zpsuwjawchy.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/dmpointing/IMG_1246_zpsukxlaunn.jpg

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    edited February 2017
    Edit - none of those things now the pics are up :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• darrenpdarrenp Frets: 116
    ICBM said:
    Could be for a Special or Junior - which have a lower neck angle on the body so the headstock isn't as far back - or an older case for a Standard/Custom with a flatter headstock angle.

Ply/tolex or moulded plastic? Black or brown? Logo on the outside, what does it say and how big? Any marks in the lid lining that don't belong to this guitar?

Obviously pics will answer all that...
    Thanks.

Pictures added at last. I used to use Picasa, which was simple, but now it's changed to Google Photos there doesn't seem to be an option to embed images, so I had to upload to Photobucket!

Hadn't considered that it may be for a Special or Junior. I did think that it may be for some sort of historic reissue, considering the logo.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    tFB Trader
    Looks like it could be a Chibson case?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Could well be, which is another reason for asking.

I've just found one the same on the US Ebay site, but unfortunately there's not a lot of information on the listing.

https://tinyurl.com/hrcgkha

Could well be, which is another reason for asking.

I've just found one the same on the US Ebay site, but unfortunately there's not a lot of information on the listing.

https://tinyurl.com/hrcgkha

edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    Note the different lining, covering, combination lock (not on the CAH cases), less shiny logo (CAH is silk screened, Chibsons foil stamped), leather TKL tab vs plastic thing etc. etc...
    Note the different lining, covering, combination lock (not on the CAH cases), less shiny logo (CAH is silk screened, Chibsons foil stamped), leather TKL tab vs plastic thing etc. etc...
    OK, thanks.

The one on Ebay could well be a fake as well then as it also has a combination lock and the plastic tab.

It would explain why the headstock touches the case too.
    I didn't see that listing (didn't scroll down!) but yes, also fake.

This is the genuine article http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322270167080
  • It's the big guitar shaped box type thing in the centre of the first photo.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I didn't see that listing (didn't scroll down!) but yes, also fake.

This is the genuine article http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322270167080
    OK, thanks.

I think I'll just stick it in the shed and forget about selling it then. I'm sure it'll come in handy as some point, even if it's just for sending out something via courier.

Thanks again.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    combination lock in the wrong place as well for a Gibson - the logo indicates a Custom Shop style case and I can't recall such a case having the lock - catches only - a regular LP case with the combo lock has it closer to the handle and another regular catch near the head stock end - looks a flimsy wooden shell as well in comparison - possibly worth £30 quid or so still to someone
    combination lock in the wrong place as well for a Gibson - the logo indicates a Custom Shop style case and I can't recall such a case having the lock - catches only - a regular LP case with the combo lock has it closer to the handle and another regular catch near the head stock end - looks a flimsy wooden shell as well in comparison - possibly worth £30 quid or so still to someone
    It does become more obvious, the more I look at it.

I had a 50th Anniversary ES-335 '63 Block Reissue that came with a case that was considerably different from other 335 cases, so I wondered if it was perhaps for a particular model, but it's pretty obvious now that it's just a copy.

Thanks.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    Yes, that's a fake. There aren't enough latches for a real one. Also the lining and the texture of the tolex are wrong.

The bad news is that you can't legally sell it on Ebay with that logo on it, although as you've seen it's not heavily policed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Yes, that's a fake. There aren't enough latches for a real one. Also the lining and the texture of the tolex are wrong.

The bad news is that you can't legally sell it on Ebay with that logo on it, although as you've seen it's not heavily policed.
    Thanks.

I wouldn't want to try and sell it on now, knowing it's a fake.

I've just checked the listing on Facebook that I bought the guitar through and it says "Comes with Original Gibson Historic Hard Case", so I think I'll go back to the seller and see what they have to say, considering it was only a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks again for your help.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    darrenp said:
    ICBM said:

Thanks.

I wouldn't want to try and sell it on now, knowing it's a fake.

I've just checked the listing on Facebook that I bought the guitar through and it says "Comes with Original Gibson Historic Hard Case", so I think I'll go back to the seller and see what they have to say, considering it was only a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks again for your help.

could always list it on e-bay without the pic of the Gibson logo and state 'Far Eastern case to fit many Gibson LP spec'd guitars and appropriate copies' - show other pics you have - Heading could be ' Guitar case to fit Les Paul Copies' - no infringement at this stage and maybe add 'fake copy logo' within your body of text if required - Play on words I know but you are not stating it is a Gibson case - and around £30 should be fine - A Gibson Custom case would fetch over £100 - just a thought