Strandberg and other "progressive" guitars - opinions plz

What's Hot
Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
So, I've got a Strat, Tele and LP so my stable of traditional guitars is sorted, I have an Ibanez S series are my more "metal" (I hate calling it that) guitar.

However, my next venture will probably something in the progressive market, something like Mayones, certain PRS' models etc.

One that I'm coming round to more and more though is Strandberg.

Can I get some experience of them? The thing that concerns me is how many people seem to buy them and then sell them on not much later. Is it a novelty that wears off? Anyone got one that's considered a keeper?

Also, the premise behind Endurneck sounds brilliant, but how is it actually in practice?

Any other considerations I should have? Other things I should check out?

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_ said:
    So, I've got a Strat, Tele and LP so my stable of traditional guitars is sorted, I have an Ibanez S series are my more "metal" (I hate calling it that) guitar.

However, my next venture will probably something in the progressive market, something like Mayones, certain PRS' models etc.

Can I get some experience of them? The thing that concerns me is how many people seem to buy them and then sell them on not much later. Is it a novelty that wears off? Anyone got one that's considered a keeper?

Also, the premise behind Endurneck sounds brilliant, but how is it actually in practice?

Thanks.

I think you should just play one and try it. 
  • I'd hold off on buying a Strandberg for a while, looks like they're replacing the entire range. 
    New spec looks interesting; Suhr or Fishman Fluence pickups in place of the Duncans and Lace offerings.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Jack_ said:

Thanks.

Nearest place to me that stocks them is London I think, I'm in Bournemouth, with no plans to visit the capital any time soon.
  • Jack_ said:
    Jack_ said:

Thanks.

Nearest place to me that stocks them is London I think, I'm in Bournemouth, with no plans to visit the capital any time soon.

Yeah, they are only Stocked in GuitarGuitar so your best bet is to buy one well used and sell it on if you don't like it. If you want a new one, still buy the used one and sell it on then buy new. 

Most of the time you can buy and sell a used guitar and the only thing you'll lose is the postage cost. 
  • Marshall_staxMarshall_stax Frets: 193
    edited February 2017
    Despite Strandberg's being played by a whole host of Metal and Djent players right now - I would refrain from pigeon holing them for only progressive rock/metal.
    I've played a couple and found them to be more than capable of every kind of music I've chucked at them.
    The neck will take you somewhere between 5 to 6 mins to get used to and after that you may question how you've ever managed to play a "normal" neck comfortably - (Although if you're the type of player that likes to hang your thumb over the fretboard, it might take you as much as 8 or 9 mins to adjust).

However, looking at your current family of guitars it would seem you have all the bases covered, including progressive and metal.

I have to ask (apart from a neck like no other) what do think a Strandberg is going to give you that you can't already squeeze out of your current line up? Is it a looks thing or do you think it will give you a sonic range you don't have right now?

All the right notes, not always in the right order!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I have to ask (apart from a neck like no other) what do think a Strandberg is going to give you that you can't already squeeze out of your current line up? Is it a looks thing or do you think it will give you a sonic range you don't have right now?
    It's just something very different, and having all the classics covered, I kind of feel like going for something at the completely opposite end of the scale, something super modern. Super light and ergonomic sounds good to me.
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    I love my Strandberg.
    There are many, MANY different companies and luthiers now aiming for exactly this kind of market so you have plenty of choice man. Its well worth making the trip to a GG to play a Strandberg first as the neck profile is very unique.

• I'm amazed more Jazz players haven't got into the whole 7, 8, 9 string, fanned-fret and/or baritone thing.

Seems like a natural fit to me...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • I owned a boden 7 and totally loved it,  I really miss it, :( it does everything from rock to jazz, the only reason i sold it was me and the missus split and I had to move out, it would have stayed otherwise. 
  • Marshall_staxMarshall_stax Frets: 193
    edited February 2017
    Jack_ said:
    It's just something very different, and having all the classics covered, I kind of feel like going for something at the completely opposite end of the scale, something super modern. Super light and ergonomic sounds good to me.
    Fair enough mate - I can see that. Best bet is to get yourself off to Guitar Guitar and play some. Epsom is the closest to you right? 
    Ask for Patrick to help you out if you go, he's super cool and knows his stuff. It'll be well worth the trip. 
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    I had the Boden OS8 and tried the 6 and 7 string models. The Enduraneck is definitely a cool idea and you soon adjust to it, indeed some find that it helps tendinitis etc by promoting a more  ergonomic position. Good points are the general build quality, stainless steel frets,
    Bad points, very poor string retention system, it had real issues clamping the top E string without slipping and those clamps twist noticeably under load. String height adjustment is a little coarse owing to the screw slot  height adjuster . 
    Overall the longer I owned it, the cheaper and flimsier it felt, are they worth £1750 for a Korean built guitar ? I know that in retrospect I would have rather bought something else such as a Keisel or JP7.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 228
    I have been GASsing for a OS6 trem ever since trying one at Guitar Guitar last year.
    I am in no way a djent guy - more interested in Gilmour, classic rock etc., but that guitar was incredibly light, really comfortable, and really resonant. It could do pretty much any genre.
    I'd have bought it there and then but the shop were absolutely not going to budge an inch on the list price so I walked. I like to get a bit off, if only a little... C'mon guys - haggle a bit! 
  • bean7bean7 Frets: 44
    edited February 2017
    I tried a few last year out of pure curiosity, which felt seriously wrong considering the music I'm into but they are definitely nice in their own special way

I must say I found the Korean ones just not good enough for the price range, just knowing what you can get for that sort of money. I'm just talking very generally but they don't feel like they should cost that much. However I tried one of the Japanese models (6 string) and it was in a totally different league, it was very tempting but was £3k, which was too much of a stretch. If they were about £1k less across the board I'd get one for novelty value.
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 228
    bean7 said: I must say I found the Korean ones just not good enough for the price range, just knowing what you can get for that sort of money.
    Exactly. When I tried the OS6 it was alongside a Suhr Pro - a USA guitar with absolutely the best fit and finish ever. In what they do, the Suhr and Strandberg are chalk and cheese but they're a similar price and one is Korean while the other is USA and top drawer quality. I see that Ed Yoon (who worked for Suhr) now works for Strandberg, so they know what to aim for...
  • Same old story.  

I tried a few recently and they were really cool.  They're kinda funny looking but ergonomically everything makes sense, really great to play.  At £800 or so I'd probably have bought one but the prices are insane.  

They've got these "Classic" fender looking ones coming out http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=170131306912008&gclid=CIbqpt6Nl9ICFYkp0wodEmoBNQ.  Made in china - £1,200 !  

I'm sure there's good reasons for the costs being high, non standard parts and production methods etc, but it's still mental.  Kiesel and Skeversen do similar things for similar prices except custom/semi custom.

I would love one tbh but there's no way I can justify £1,200 for a budget chinese guitar, £2,000ish for a korean guitar, or the £3k the MIJ models cost on any guitar full stop.