What valuation on ...

What's Hot
close2uclose2u Frets: 997
edited February 2017 in Guitar
A Squier Affinity Strat that has had MiM pickups put in? It is a Chinese model. Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2867
    £90
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    I guess it depends whether they are the old MIM bar magnet cheapo pickups or the more modern Alnicos.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Neil said:
    I guess it depends whether they are the old MIM bar magnet cheapo pickups or the more modern Alnicos.

@Neil Thanks. How can I tell? Are there any markings to look for? Any visual clues without dismantling?
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    if you can lift the pickguard enough the pickups have two bar magnets either side of the poles on the bottom.  It isn't really much of an upgrade TBH and I wouldn't think it adds any value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Richardj said:
    if you can lift the pickguard enough the pickups have two bar magnets either side of the poles on the bottom.  

Is that for the alnico or the other?

Richardj said:
    It isn't really much of an upgrade TBH and I wouldn't think it adds any value.
    I suspected as much myself. .............
     any further thoughts folks?
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    close2u said:
    Richardj said:
    if you can lift the pickguard enough the pickups have two bar magnets either side of the poles on the bottom.  

Is that for the alnico or the other?

Richardj said:
    It isn't really much of an upgrade TBH and I wouldn't think it adds any value.
    I suspected as much myself. .............
     any further thoughts folks?
    The bars are ceramic magnets either side of plain steel pole pieces. They aren't terrible pickups and make all the right noises, but you would see an improvement if you had alnicos instead.

Thing is though as soon as you look at doing that you get into Squier Standard sort of money and it's a whole heap better base guitar and a better and more worthwhile platform for modding.