Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

gearnews.com relaunch help

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
Hi people,

We've relaunched the site with a new layout today and so would appreciate any feedback you have and of course any issues you may get with the new look.

If you have any specific problems, can you let me know what OS, Hardware etc you are using and I can then feed it back to the guys that build the layout.

Cheers

Jef

https://www.gearnews.com

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Never looked at it before, I must confess, but I like it.  :)  Windows 7, Firefox 51 - all looks good to me so far.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    Cheers fella, all feedback is useful. If you find any issues let me know.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Seems glitch-free and fast-loading to me, looks good!

Ubuntu 12.04, Firefox.
    Ubuntu- nice!

• Works for me, Chrome on Mac.
  • hoopshoops Frets: 223
    Firefox on mac - perfect.
  • Looks decent enough on Chrome and Firefox on Linux (specifically Ubuntu 15.10).

Not a massive fan of the click-to-get-a-loading-page thing, but the site's fast enough to just about get away with it. Aside from that, all looks good :)
    <space for hire>
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited February 2017
    Looking good on Opera 43.0. My PC is i5, 8Gb RAM, with fibre-optic broadband so pretty quick but still taking 1-2 secs to load new pages. Not major but thought I'd flag.  Also, just posted a comment on the BBE Boosta Grand demo. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    Just had a very brief look on my iphone so using safari. It seems a decent responsive site which is important these days. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Cheers guys, appreciate your input as they have been working on it for a while now and so any issues we can iron out just let me know. Thank you all for helping.

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    @stonevibe ;I am not a fan of the loading page - is it really necessary?

Other than that, the overall feel of the site lacks 'identity' and for me the articles are too close to the left hand margin. Also when you scroll down, I feel that the 'home, guitar, bass...' links could be better placed or contained in a box.

The content is ace though!
    rico said:
    @stonevibe ;I am not a fan of the loading page - is it really necessary?

Other than that, the overall feel of the site lacks 'identity' and for me the articles are too close to the left hand margin. Also when you scroll down, I feel that the 'home, guitar, bass...' links could be better placed or contained in a box.

The content is ace though!
    Cheers fella, constructive feedback appreciated. Will pass this on to the site designers.  Nice one fella

• I'd not heard of this site before but I like the content! 

Looks great to me! 

I have no experience with website design at all but if it was website and I could change one thing I might make the logo and 'Gear News' name a bit bigger? It doesn't seem obvious or stand out that it's the front page to me. 

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Seems OK on Safari on the Mac...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Tried it on Microsoft Edge, seems OK to me. As mentioned the loading page is a bit annoying
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    iPhone 6+ loads fine. Looks good.
  • Seems fine on safari on the iPad. Unless I've missed a trick the categories are a bit broad e.g. Guitar isn't subdivided into guitars, effects, amps,etc, so you've got to scroll through stuff, although the search function seems fine. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    Looks good on a nexus 7 using chrome. Haven't seen site before, now bookmarked.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited February 2017
    As I scroll down the front page the pictures gradually start to lose formatting and overlap the headline text.

Galaxy s5 android 6.0.1 native and chrome browser...  
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited February 2017

I have no experience with website design at all but if it was website and I could change one thing I might make the logo and 'Gear News' name a bit bigger? It doesn't seem obvious or stand out that it's the front page to me. 

This is a good point.  Because the logo is the same font and colour as the menu, it gets easily lost..

And, having thought about it, I'd suggest making that top menu bar a 'floater' that stays at the top of the screen... because you have one of those forever loading pages, the further you go down, the further you have to scroll up to get back to the menu bar.

I know there's a menu on the right of the screen, but it's easily missed and doesn't have the search link.

At the moment as you scroll down, there's no indication what site you're on.  Having the menu bar float the the top of the screen will help that.  :)