The quirkiest pickup winder in the UK needs some new designs!

What's Hot

Comments

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1258
    WezV said:
    JayGee said:
    does anyone ever use SHS on a strat?

with the coil split  to get the inbetween sounds
    No idea whether it bdoes the coiln split thing, but...

http://i.imgur.com/t6gRE8G.jpg

...Wayne Kramer signature/tribute.
    I refer you to my previous post :)
    Yeah, very, very, very wrong in oh so many ways, and yet...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Why not fix the shortcoming of a classic?

Filterton with rails for the wound strings: no more sacrificing the wound string response to get those sparkly trebles!
  • mixolyd said:

Filterton with rails for the wound strings: no more sacrificing the wound string response to get those sparkly trebles!
    TV Jones already does a set like that, only the other way around:

http://www.tvjones.com/paul-yandell-duo-tron-pickups.html

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    mixolyd said:

TV Jones already does a set like that, only the other way around:

http://www.tvjones.com/paul-yandell-duo-tron-pickups.html

Yeah I don't know why they'd want to do that way.

It seems obvious to me that the problem with filtertrons is the lack of both treble and dynamic response on the wound strings compared to the luminous treble strings.  Putting the rails to the wound strings could give something like a cross between a P90 and a Filtertron, which would be about as good as a pickup could be IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    JayGee said:
    does anyone ever use SHS on a strat?

with the coil split  to get the inbetween sounds
    No idea whether it bdoes the coiln split thing, but...

http://i.imgur.com/t6gRE8G.jpg

...Wayne Kramer signature/tribute.
    around 1980 my mate wanted to put a super distortion dimarzio into his 78  USA strat
    He used a hammer and chisel to make the middle hole big enough!

Not the effect I am thinking of
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    mixolyd said:

Trimming the screws down to a shorter length can make the bass tighter and brighter too.  Or better yet, use alnico rods for the bass for extra brightness with a bar magnet and screws in the treble strings - mixing alnico rods and steel screws is one of my next prototypes, I'll have to report back how I get on, this could be a possibility.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • WezV said:
    staple top P-90's.   doesn't need all the adjustable gubbins

I'd be interested in this!
    And me!
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    staple top P-90's.   doesn't need all the adjustable gubbins

I'd be interested in this!
    And me!
    Well the demand exceeded my expectation! I'll look over the logistics of this and see if I can come up with something.
    What would be really important to achieve with these, if I can start producing such a thing,  in your views? 
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    What I'd be interested in: no idea how feasible they would really be

A "rails" type humbucking jazz bass pickup

A single-coil sized humbucker with the tone of a Firebird pickup.
    tFB Trader
    Jeremiah said:
    What I'd be interested in: no idea how feasible they would really be

A "rails" type humbucking jazz bass pickup

A single-coil sized humbucker with the tone of a Firebird pickup.
    A railed humbucking jazz bass pickup would be easy to make. Would require a few custom parts, but it wouldn't be difficult at all.
    You'd probably want alnico bar magnets for the rails to make it similar to a normal jazz bass tonally.

The second would be virtually impossible. Single coil sized humbuckers typically use really thin wire to get enough turns on to get a reasonable output. That makes them quite bassy - definitely not what I'd consider to be firebird like. Add to that that they have alnico bars inside the coils - I can't think of any way I could approximate it. I think your closest would be a stacked single - not that that is close.
  • If we are into the realms of what we'd like, rather than what might be possible, I'd quite like a Filtertron that would fit a std tele without routing.
    tFB Trader
    If we are into the realms of what we'd like, rather than what might be possible, I'd quite like a Filtertron that would fit a std tele without routing.
    I'm not sure that's quite as impossible as you may think. 
    I can get my hands on a rail humbucker for a Tele bridge which has pretty large bobbins, I'd say tentatively they're large enough to accommodate a Fiiltertron wind. Stick a small alnico magnet underneath between the rails and I reckon you're in the filtertron ballpark.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    Step one of the staple build!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    Z coils and double lipstick humbuckers.
    tFB Trader
    longshins said:
    Z coils and double lipstick humbuckers.
    Lipstick humbuckers would certainly be of interest to me - although I believe that's essentially what a few EMG HZs are under the cover (minus the lipstick tube covers), and they've been received rather poorly. That's not to say the design can't be improved upon until it can produce good pickups. I actually have an HZ H4A and love it for anything heavy, so I don't think my ears are adept enough at deciding what the masses would like in such things. I would like to try making some humbuckers out of various single coil designs though.

Z coils are very niche, unfortunately I don't think there's enough interest out there to justify the R&D that would go into making a production model.
    tFB Trader
    Update number 1 regarding staples and Filtertron builds.

I've discovered my supplier actually sells more or less everything required for PAF sized Filtertrons (under completely wrong names), so I've ordered in some supplies for those, so I should begin prototyping in the next week or so. 

I've decided so make a very basic staple design to begin with. I'm going to make some custom flatwork to install the staples in like alnico pole pieces of Fender pickups. I've found the staples to be more or less half the length of a standard bar magnet, so I'll pick up some unorientated pieces to cut in half and remagnetise the correct way. This means they won't have adjustable poles, but if they turn out nicely and are highly demanded that can be sorted in the future.
    In addition to this, I'll make them coverless by making the flatwork outside dimensions those of a P90 cover. This makes them able to accommodate a higher number of winds, meaning I have more room to play around with winds.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    Looking forward to hearing these prototypes with interest.

Your murky horizon bridge and cirrostratus get their first gig outings with me tonight and tomorrow, will be very interesting to put them through their paces; so far from what I've heard without the band these are some lovely pickups.
    tFB Trader
    Looking forward to hearing these prototypes with interest.

Your murky horizon bridge and cirrostratus get their first gig outings with me tonight and tomorrow, will be very interesting to put them through their paces; so far from what I've heard without the band these are some lovely pickups.
    Thank you! I'd love to know how you get on with them!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28119
    I would be interested in good Lipstick 'buckers. I'd imagine they'd need very asymmetric winding to sound decent though, and can you get proper Lipstick sounds in normal width?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    I would be interested in good Lipstick 'buckers. I'd imagine they'd need very asymmetric winding to sound decent though, and can you get proper Lipstick sounds in normal width?
    Yeah I'm sure it could be done - dimensions of a lipstick are pretty much half of a humbucker width.  I've seen a few of these done before and they look quite accurately sized.
    Actually I'd start with a perfectly symmetrical wind if I were to design such a thing. They'll be pretty scooped as they are before being asymmetrically wound, so doing so would likely be overkill.