Too many fuzzes..........

What's Hot
RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
edited February 2017 in FX
I *think* I need a fuzz, something that will get close to the heavier but less chaotic tones of Gilmour, maybe Iommi, that sort of thing.

Problem is I would like it in a more compact (Boss sized) enclosure and there are so many available. I tried a couple of Fredric ones and they were great things, but just a bit too much.

No-one remotely close to me keeps anything interesting to try in person and online demos aren't really reliable, can anyone help narrow down the search?

I'm going to be at the Guitar Show too so might bevable to see/try/buy something.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had too many fuzzes once. 

I had 1.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I've just bought one of these...

Cracking little pedal. 
  • Magnetic Effects White Atom is an outstanding pedal. It doesn't care where it goes in the effects chain and has an awesome "texture" control which will  can go from full bore through to starving the voltage  to get a really filthy "spitting" sound. Just awesome.

• After a long Fuzz search I found the Boss FZ2 (well @ICBM recommended it in my fuzz thread) a great pedal. Otherwise for Gilmour look at a skreddy Lunar module - also wonderful.

Would liek to try the White atom at some point.
  • Maybe look at the Sabbra Kadabra if you're after that Sabbath style?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Mojo Hand Crosstown - I've been through loads of fuzz pedals including the revered Analogman Sunface and Skreddy Lunar Module and every time I a/b a fuzz with the Crosstown I can get it to sound really close without a whole lot of tweaking. 
    The White Atom is good too and can do the splatty side of things better than the Crosstown but the Crosstown cleans up a lot better than the White Atom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    If you're in Yorkshire I have bloody loads of fuzzes you could try.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    @juansolo, sadly about a thousand miles South of you........

But I would genuinely appreciate your take on this, seeing as you have more than a little bit of experience with fuzzes.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Yes, the Boss FZ-2 is excellent, and I would also recommend the Mooer Blue and Grey Faze fuzz face clones as well as their Triangle Buff Muff-alike. 
  • Honestly I've never got on with Fuzz, much like the oft lauded Rat, just sounds horrible to my ears and then disappears in a live situation.   
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    the only time you need a Fuzz live is to play Spirit in The Sky...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    /\ haha - don't drag me into to all this!!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

But I would genuinely appreciate your take on this, seeing as you have more than a little bit of experience with fuzzes.
    I will try and remain objective.

Germ fuzzes, when done right can be amazing. But they come with a lot baggage in terms of power requirements, pedal order and incompatibility with other effects, they're just not practical in a lot of circumstances. But they do that thing that they do when they do it well, that for some that's worth putting up with the idiosyncrasies.

But, bear in mind Ge transistors stopped being made in the 60's, and for very good reasons (they're variables as fuck in terms of gain and leakage. Not to mention that gain can change depending on what the temperature is). There simply are not that many good ones left.

Which leaves you with Si and distortions that get into fuzz territory. Of which there are loads. Like everything else, there are a lot of variations on the same thing around with the odd curiosity in there. It would be a total finger in the air job without knowing what you're running and what type of sound you're trying to achieve.

I know very much which I personally prefer as I've built just about every fuzz out there and when it came along I just stopped making fuzzes. But as I appear to be the only person building a clone of it, to recommend it would be seen as being hugely self-serving.
  • juansolo said:
    Richardj said:

I will try and remain objective.

Germ fuzzes, when done right can be amazing. But they come with a lot baggage in terms of power requirements, pedal order and incompatibility with other effects, they're just not practical in a lot of circumstances. But they do that thing that they do when they do it well, that for some that's worth putting up with the idiosyncrasies.

But, bear in mind Ge transistors stopped being made in the 60's, and for very good reasons (they're variables as fuck in terms of gain and leakage. Not to mention that gain can change depending on what the temperature is). There simply are not that many good ones left.

Which leaves you with Si and distortions that get into fuzz territory. Of which there are loads. Like everything else, there are a lot of variations on the same thing around with the odd curiosity in there. It would be a total finger in the air job without knowing what you're running and what type of sound you're trying to achieve.

I know very much which I personally prefer as I've built just about every fuzz out there and when it came along I just stopped making fuzzes. But as I appear to be the only person building a clone of it, to recommend it would be seen as being hugely self-serving.
    Best sales pitch ever......
    took me on a journey, now I'm dying to know what this pedal is, and I dont even like Fuzz!!! 
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Stokin' the hype train ready to leave the station ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    juansolo said:
    Stokin' the hype train ready to leave the station ;)
    "Leavin' on the Fuzz Train..woo woooooh!"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 1) Go to a big shop and try all their pedals

2) Buy used stuff, try it in your set up, sell it if you don't like
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I only have one fuzz (of and distortion are another matter......) the Way Huge Havalina.

It's Germanium and it's awesomes. I'm not really a fuzz lover, but I do like this one very muchly.

It's a bit bigger than a Boss, but not massively so.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
    edited February 2017
    Agreed on the Havalina @mike_l ;;)

ive just picked up the Fulltone '69 Fuzz

Bloody awesome!