Classic Vibe Tele Recommendations

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
Hi All,

New member, nice to be here already enjoying reading the forum.

I tried a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster and a Mexican Standard at the weekend at my local store, and have to admit I preferred the Squier.

One thing stopped me buying it, the bridge pickup sounded unbearably harsh and bright, especially compared to the more mellow one on the mex.

I have heard nothing but total praise of the classic vibes so it did quite surprise me, was this a characteristic of the amp I was playing through (Vox AC4), my terrible playing, or simply something I'd learn to love in time?

I know I could simply swap out the pickup, but wanted to hear if I'm right and should look elsewhere, or whether I should reconsider before Fender wise up to their chinese brand putting out kit of that quality, and stopping production.

Appreciate any input!
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    CV Teles are great but unlike most on here, I think the pickups are pretty grim.

TBH, swapping the pickups out is a doddle and you can get some superb aftermarket ones - my fave bridge unit is the Seymour Duncan Broadcaster which you can find secondhand for less than £45 and that will definitely is a lot less harsh than the CV pickup, plus has a lot more mids and balls.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited February 2017
    There's many factors to consider, pickup height is an easy one, they may have different body woods, did they have the same fretboard material? If it was maple on the CV, they're usually quite thickly coated in poly which may impact brightness. I assume they have different bridges? The pickups will be slightly different too. Strung with different gauges?

Etc etc...

Squier CV's have a great neck profile IMO, which is probably why they're so loved, they just feel great.

Also, they usually come in better finishes compared to Mexican counterparts, unless you go up to the more expensive Mexican models.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    I don't suppose you know the overall specs of the two teles you tried? 

Its possible that it is the pickup but a lighter piece of wood in the body could result in a brighter tone. You could pick up a Mexican bridge pickup for £15-20 or you may even think that you want to spend money on a decent set for the CV.

And yes, I've heard nothing but praise too :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7820
    I love the Butterscotch one with the maple neck.  Great guitar.  Shouldn't have sold mine ;)
    i liked the pickups, they're made by Tone Rider.  They respond well to a bit of height adjustment. 
    I upgraded the loom on mine to a 5 position solderless unit.  I had nothing but praise for that guitar.  
    I just prefer more necks with more girth.

M :) 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    lonestar said:
    I don't suppose you know the overall specs of the two teles you tried?

The Mexican was a cherry standard with a maple fretboard.

The Classic Vibe was a custom sunburst, with rosewood fretboard and the three brass saddles.

Thanks for everyone's comments. The neck was excellent and probably why I liked the guitar, and frankly for a guitar costing a little over £400 the finish and the sunburst were both gorgeous.

Ironically, even though it is higher up the range, I just didn't like the standard, although it probably had nicer pickups. This again comes down to the neck, which I found a bit uncomfortable, kind of a fatter C profile.

Maybe I should get back down the shop and buy the CV?!?
  • buy the CV, i have a white one, with white headstock and love it. its my favourite guitar 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Strange, you usually associate brightness with maple boards, but in your case the opposite is at play.

Pickups are an easy and relatively cheap change, but a neck profile you like is priceless (hypothetically speaking).

Does the CV have double binding?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Does the CV have double binding?

Yes it does, I think!  Given they came on the market under £300 it is exceptional quality.  Sadly now the best price I was offered was £420 (apparently currency fluctuations are really hurting guitar shops), so I might hold out for a deal.
  • If you are comparing the Squier CV against a Mexican Standard Tele, then the bridge itself makes quite a difference. Of course, all this is very subjective, but I feel that vintage style bridges, if made from the vintage correct thin steel have more brightness and twang. Some vintage style bridges are made from material which is a little thicker and that can restrain the brightness a little. The modern style Mexican Standard bridge, and other similar bridges like the Gotoh GTC201 and 202 often sound more solid and centred (something in the low mids to my ear), but less bright. For some that is an improvement, particularly for rock.

I purchased my Squier CV 60's secondhand, which left me with a little cash to mod it. I feel the weakest aspect of the electronics is the switch, which will will have no impact on tone, but will likely fail. I bought the 60's variant because I don't mind the slightly squarer edge to the body from the binding (some people hate it);all of the pine bodied ones I played were rather heavy; and also because I like rosewood fretboards!
  • i think i paid £235 for mine from this very parish, and i wouldnt sell it for double that. cant recomend them enough.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I recently picked up a cv tele. Very happy. Not thinking of changing anything.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

i think i paid £235 for mine from this very parish, and i wouldnt sell it for double that. cant recomend them enough.

Love your Les Paul!  I definitely need to find a deal on a CV I think
  • @mikeyrob73 CV Tele came from me - glad to hear it's still loved! I already had my sunburst, but loved the neck and white finish on the white one (very slightly fuller neck than my sunburst). Eventually realised I didn't need two, and as I had already made a few mods to the sunburst one I kept it and sold the white one - but seeing it again makes me want another! 

And wise words from @Jack_  - if you find a neck you like, that's worth so much. As my experience shows the neck profiles do vary a little, so always best to play the one you are about to buy - not always easy with the internet, but with patience you should find a good one, and they do come up for sale secondhand fairly frequently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah @CasperCaster it is very much loved, only guitar I could never part with. It's very much a keeper. 
  • I have wanted a Tele for years and have tried most of the Teles you can buy in recent years. There was always something about each that just wasn't Tele enough. Except for USA Standard, which is has been out of my budget.

Depends on what you want and how much you are prepared to spend to get it. My bass is a Squier. It sounded much the same (probably better) than the Mex I A/B'd it with. I could not justify the extra £200 for the "Fender" badge over the "Squier".
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited February 2017
    For broadly similar money, check out the G&L Tribute series ASAT Classic and ASAT Bluesboy. These are G&L's Telecaster equivalents.

A bit bit of history... G&L was set up by George Fullerton and Leo Fender and are reckoned by some to be more 'Fender' than Fender themselves.

Someone I know has the Classic and as much as I don't want to admit it the sound and feel are at least as good as my US Std Telecaster. Given the choice I'd probably pick the G&L, I already own a G&L Bluesboy (the semi-hollow variation) and currently it's my 'go to' guitar.

Bit more here...

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/89498/

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    The CV's have Toneriders in them but unnamed .I had a CVC and put a Tonerider hot Classic in it and they were similar .Many rate the hot classic as a  fine bridge  and neck pickup .I play blues ,rock and country plus ever increasing gobs of jazz and they do the job well .My favorites are van Zandts Vintage Plus  and to honest there isnt a whole bunch of difference .
    Hi All - you all convinced me, got a bit of a deal and went and purchased it, now sitting by my desk and work saying play me! Thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HNGD @darthed1981 ;

word of warning though, on FB we require pics or it didnt actually happen 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2017
    HNGD @darthed1981 ;;;;;;;;;

word of warning though, on FB we require pics or it didnt actually happen 

Trying to oblige with linked image! 
    photo 20170216_135841_zpsqodmpodt.jpg