What Bridge pickup for a Les Paul?

What's Hot
jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
Having recently bought a 2017 Classic on a complete whim. I've found that my only niggle is with the 57 Classic + pickup. It's a little scratchy sounding at higher gain levels. 

So im thinking something with Alnico V magnets that's a bit fatter & warmer sounding.

on my shortlist so far are...

BKP Holy Diver
BKP Rebel Yell
Suhr Aldrich

Any suggestions? I'm open to smaller makers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Pearly Gates? Always seems to bring a LP to life
  • Bkp black dog. Definitely not shrill.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    Pearly Gates? Always seems to bring a LP to life
    I've always found those thin-sounding. I much prefer the Screamin' Demon if you want a Duncan, although it possibly wouldn't look quite right in a traditional Les Paul.

Bur for this job I'd recommend dropping Ash at Oil City an email and seeing what he recommends for exactly the sound you want.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• On a slight derail, I recently acquired a Tokai 59 relic that has Burstbuckers (no idea if there 1's, 2's or whatever) in it and I must admit im blown away by them....
    You'd probably pick one up very cheaply..... Might be worth a punt before you go down the rabbit hole....

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Oil City or Mojo Pickups. Contact Ash or Marc (respectively) and discuss what you'd like. 
    Robert's your mothers brother. 
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Or http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/
    i said I wanted Classic Rock for my LP and it was delivered.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I've got the Rebel Yells, Suhr Aldrich and BK Emeralds in mine and they all sound great imo - what flavour of higher gain are you looking for?  Have you got a reference tone in mind?
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited February 2017
    John_P said:
    I've got the Rebel Yells, Suhr Aldrich and BK Emeralds in mine and they all sound great imo - what flavour of higher gain are you looking for?  Have you got a reference tone in mind?
    Without wishing to sound pretentious...

I like a strident guitar sound. Solid, chunky, fat, but with a tight low end & good articulation. Something that can take FX well.

Think Alex Lifesons H&K tones on Rush's Rush In Rio DVD

Then think a bit Vivian Campbell on Hi gain. Or Billy Duffy.

Solowise & clean tones, a bit like Billy Howerdel of A Perfect Circle.

This is a track from last band.

• Montys PAF's are worth considering 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Bkp black dog. Definitely not shrill.
    +1 I loved the Black Dog in my LP. As their website description says, single note riffs etc have real body and weight behind them. Great all-rounder. Better for that guitar than the Rebel Yell which i found a bit congested in the mids - great for thick lead tones but I didn't like it for rhythm.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4181
    The BK Rebel Yell is the pickup for you, it's the only one I've found that is insanely punchy and still articulate. I recently fitted a set to a 61 SG reissue and it is a real monster now 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31529
    Further to my reply to you on the other thread, I've also bunged an alnico 3 in a second hand 498t. 

That's what's currently in my own goldtop and it's a perfect combo for rock for me. It still has almost all the original power but has a much more complex midrange than before, and sounds more like a PAF when rolled back. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    I happen to love Burstbucker III's.

Gibbo pups often overlooked.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• A5D5E5A5D5E5 Frets: 307
    The BK Holy Diver is a fantastic pickup - think Dimarzio Super Distortion on steroids.  But I wouldn't call it "warm" or even "fat".  Black Dog or Emeralds would be a better fit, but from the BK stable I'd suggest having a look at the Crawler.  

• A5D5E5A5D5E5 Frets: 307
    Gassage said:
    I happen to love Burstbucker III's.

Gibbo pups often overlooked.
    Very much this - I don't think you really upgrade a gibson pickup so much as change it for a different sound.
  • +1 on the Crawler.

I once asked @jdbwales about this as he'd always got some humbuckers for sale in the classifieds. There's not much he hasn't tried iirc.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    I replaced the 57 Classic with a SD JB - sounds fan bloody tastic
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
    +1 on the Crawler.

I once asked @jdbwales about this as he'd always got some humbuckers for sale in the classifieds. There's not much he hasn't tried iirc.
    Indeed, I've gone through pretty much every pickup out there, but it's worth noting that my experiences are not necessarily going to be the same for everyone...obviously there are so many other factors at play (natural tone, Standard rosewood vs my Custom's ebony for example, string gauge, amps, effects....) but I can happily pass on my own findings.

If the guitar is naturally big and thick sounding then I'd recommend 8k ish PAF types for rock - I ended up with Blues Engines (I know, after trying so many mega bucks humbuckers I end up with Iron Gears...but they sinply sound the best in this guitar) - they sound huge, present and clear and also let me have good cleans. I found higher output pickups were 'too much of a good thing' and too much power muddied everything up too much with my already acoustically massive sounding LPC, especially in these days of gainy and/or low power amps.

However, if the guitar does need fattening up then I'd recommend the BK Emerald, the humble Duncan JB (or the similar but fatter Suhr Aldrich) or Oil City Night fighter! All sound awesome in their own right.
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    Montys PAF's are worth considering 
    Great pickups, I have them in my SG. I would say they are a bit too open compared to what he describes though, I think Monty's overwound humdingers are more what you're after.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1276
    Very happy with duncan sh5 in my studio, great pup for high gains.