Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

F@&king Overdrives ARGH (Sorted!)

What's Hot
colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
edited September 2017 in FX
Final EDIT: Sorted this out eventually by getting the TS-flavoured Mojo Hand Rook OD. Works very well for this function. Thanks for your help!

OP:
Everytime I think I might have found the one I need, it's not right. In some way.

I'm looking for an overdrive to stack with my Snouse Bluesbreaker clone.

The EQD Dunes was so close - but there was either too much bass or not enough.

a TS is (predictably) almost perfect - but too much mid-hump.

I now have a DOD Looking Glass which fucking ace but sounds really glassy and mid scooped to me.

i don't want to stack for solos - i want a MOAR pedal for chorus sections. Heavier, dynamic chords. But not like super-heavy. Like At the Drive in or Mars Volta at their heaviest.

I want the clipping options of the Dunes

the EQ of the looking Glass

the smoothness of a TS.

Does such a pedal exist? Am I doomed to failure?

i have tried:

TS
OCD
Carpe Diem
Dunes
Looking Glass
Menatone The King
Morning Glory
Thorpy Gunshot
Thorpy Peacekeeper
Magnetic Effects Satellite

...whats left?

I guess:

Timmy
Barber Gain Changer
Analogman Silver TS

Any other suggestions? Is this a foolish quest? Well sick of it now.

/rant

EDIT: Thanks for your suggestions. I know it's something we've all been through. I'm fairly determined to make the Looking Glass work as its such a unique pedal in it's own right. However I think if an Analogman Silver Modded TS came along I would snap that up...I'd be interested to try a Timmy or Amp11 just to tick that box. Who wants to lend me one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    i used a timmy with the snouse  twas nice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Barber Direct Drive - smoother than the Gain Changer and it stacks well too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    Distortion+/250/gray channel 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Well you've tried 7, that only leaves 4,689 to try. Of what was realised at NAMM this year..
    So, yes it's a foolish quest when you look at it like that. I actually gave up on stacking drives for that very reason, a complete lottery, always a compromise of some kind and some purity usually lost in the process. I've gone for individual pedals for each gain stage now and I sleep much better at night.

Probably not helpful I know, but just a different take on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    Thorpy fx Peacekeeper will give you all the eq options you need, and loads of volume and drive if needed. 

The OCD is a good shout, as is the Analogman Silver mod TS. 

Or flog everything and get a KoT....! 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7820
    Tumnus. 
  • Don't overthink it. Just pick one of the ones you have and play guitar, if you stop obsessing about what pedal you're playing you'll have a lot more fun. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • @Pete24v Tried the Peacekeeper. Didn't get on with it. Really fizzy top end I found. Maybe I should try it again.

@UnclePsychosis I hear ya, I agree. It's not an out-of-control problem, I'm still playing, don't worry! Just something I think about when I'm bored at work...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    Boss SD-1

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • as @meltedbuzzbox isn't around these days... novels odr-1 or Rocket Guthrie Trapp OD
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ^^works with virtually every amp and guitar....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• @Teetonetal Speaking of JRAD, those Overdrives with the EQs on look pretty cool. Will be a while before they're out though
  • @Pete24v Tried the Peacekeeper. Didn't get on with it. Really fizzy top end I found. Maybe I should try it again.

@UnclePsychosis I hear ya, I agree. It's not an out-of-control problem, I'm still playing, don't worry! Just something I think about when I'm bored at work...

---I know, but of all the pedals to worry about overdrives always struck me as the silliest. They're just not very exciting! 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4524
    A Rat
  • Rockett Blue Note is worth a look....not as middy as a TS, but has the option of more mids in 'hot' mode. Great od.
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    Maybe try an MI Effects Super Blues Pro? Has clipping options and two gain stages. The body knob evens out the TS mid-hump when dialled up and detail knob gives more or less glass. Theres so many sounds in it - I could easily have a second.
    The new Fox Pedals City V2 looks interesting too...

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6119
    tFB Trader
    @Pete24v Tried the Peacekeeper. Didn't get on with it. Really fizzy top end I found. Maybe I should try it again.

you have the treble set too high and maybe the bass set too low.....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @ThorpyFX In all fairness to the Peacekeeper I think I a still had my HRD when it crossed my path which is a very bright amp! I will endeavour to try it again :)
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1619
    as @meltedbuzzbox isn't around these days... novels odr-1 or Rocket Guthrie Trapp OD

This was my first thought too. Or the Xts Imperial, a posh Nobels odr1. 

Bit of grit, no bass loss, no mid hump

• @timbuk02 that MI pedal looks pretty bloody flexible! Never seen one in this country though