Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

F@&king Overdrives ARGH (Sorted!)

What's Hot

Comments

• timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    @timbuk02 that MI pedal looks pretty bloody flexible! Never seen one in this country though
    Theres been a couple on ebay (uk) recently so they are about...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    Also, a mojohand Rook is worth a look
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A RYRA Klone... makes a superb overdrive
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Stacks well too!
  • @builttospill Yeah, would love to try a RYRA. Got a bit of a rule about overdrives being less than £100 though...seems a bit silly otherwise. I'm sure I'd change my mind if I heard one. Try a JRAD Archer which was okay as a boost but I didn't like the clipping much
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_pman28the_pman28 Frets: 72
    edited February 2017
    JezWynd said:
    Barber Direct Drive - smoother than the Gain Changer and it stacks well too.
    +1, Direct Drive works for me like an ideal tubescreamer (i.e. more bass, less hump but still cuts, more useable gain but better at low gain settings as well, and fuller eq options with the switches), might be worth a try?
  • What about a SHO? I'm having a lot of success running all my drive pedals through a Channel 2 (always on, set just above unity). Could be worth a shot for 60 quid?
  • ICBM said:
    Boss SD-1
    Came to say the same... I prefer it to a Tubescreamer in a lot of situations. Cheap to try!
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    good god this is easy..

Nobels ODR-1

• I keep coming back to my Danelectro Transparent Overdrive V1. It just sounds great and doesn't colour the tone. It's supposed to be a Timmy copy...
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Boss BD-1 Waza. Best drive pedal I've ever had, and I've currently got a warthog, KoT, hudson broadcast and a carpe diem...

Plenty of gain range in the pedal itself but also stacks beautifully and hits exactly the sound you describe
  • @kjdowd So you mean the SD-1 Waza or the BD-2 Waza ;)
    @kjdowd So you mean the SD-1 Waza or the BD-2 Waza ;)
    BD-2. Bloody lack of typing skills...

You should see some of my texts.
    Seriously though, I'm not a huge boss fan and picked it up on a whim, and it's the best OD I've ever tried. Tried it into all sorts of amps and it always sounds great. Not too middy, nice eq range.
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    In general, I don’t get on with overdrives at all—but the recently-released MXR Double Double overdrive is extremely good, maybe the best one I’ve ever used, at any price. Bass/Treble/Drive/Level controls; two modes—one is a Tube Screamer circuit, the other an OCD. The two-band EQ makes a huge difference for me, and the overall voicing is just excellent, in my opinion.
  • @builttospill Yeah, would love to try a RYRA. Got a bit of a rule about overdrives being less than £100 though...seems a bit silly otherwise. I'm sure I'd change my mind if I heard one. Try a JRAD Archer which was okay as a boost but I didn't like the clipping much
    Think this could be your problem, mate. Yes, there are ODs that are great, that can be bought for less than £100, but it could be that what you're after costs more. I don't get how finding something you eventually settle on would "be a bit silly", if you spent over £100 on it?

Have you tried a Buffalo TD-X?

Also think it's a bit pointless trying a Timmy if you've had a Satellite, they're very similar.

Sorry, hope that doesn't come over as offensive in any way, it's not meant to.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • In some ways I wish I'd never spent more than £100 on a pedal - I hate to think how much money I've wasted chasing stuff that Boss - MXR etc do perfect well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited February 2017
    Try a lead boost in the loop for solos and ride the volume between 9 and 10 for verses and solos if you want a change of sound as well as a change of volume. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • In some ways I wish I'd never spent more than £100 on a pedal - I hate to think how much money I've wasted chasing stuff that Boss - MXR etc do perfect well.
    Indeed, if you find the tone you're after. If you're still searching and have exhausted all sub-£100 options, then it may be time to save a few more pennies and possibly up the budget.

The sad fact is, sometimes it costs money to find your tone. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". 

That is different to "that circuit could be built for half the price". That applies to a lot of things. Sometimes we pay a premium for a name.

Taking my Piod WYW2 as an example, I'm yet to find any Boss pedal that gets the sheer wall of distortion that pedal gives me. I'd be over the moon to be proven wrong on that one.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Think this could be your problem, mate. Yes, there are ODs that are great, that can be bought for less than £100, but it could be that what you're after costs more. I don't get how finding something you eventually settle on would "be a bit silly", if you spent over £100 on it?

Have you tried a Buffalo TD-X?

Also think it's a bit pointless trying a Timmy if you've had a Satellite, they're very similar.

Sorry, hope that doesn't come over as offensive in any way, it's not meant to.
    No you're right, it's not silly at all, but I have spent over £100 and not found what I want. I've tried Thorpy stuff and thats well over £100 but it's just not right for me. However, I'm perfectly open to spending a bit more to get the right sound.

I think that price depends on how small the company is mainly. I'm happy to accept that smaller companies need to charge more because the labour is more intense, and for unique and new circuits like Thorpy's stuff I think that's worth the price.

I suppose I just haven't exhausted that sub-100 range yet, and the Tubescreamer style pedal is so close to the right sound I don't think I need to spend a lot more than £100 to get there.

As for 'you get what you pay for' - that doesn't match up for me with pedals. Sure, with build quality, but with tone it's so subjective, everyone has a specific thing that they're looking for. Only a couple of pedals I've tried have been, to me ears, 'terrible', all the others have sounded amazing and I've had to think twice about getting rid because I liked them so much - the Dunes is a fine example - but at the end of the day, I'm looking for something specific and I can't afford to amass a collection of pedals on the way to that destination!