Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do we have different perceptions of loud compared to Americans?

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
I have been looking at some reviews of amps and on TGP, the Marshall forum and some others I keep coming across the statement "it's only 50 watts turn it right up" (in relation to the 2204 JCM 800). 

Am I a little soft because tonight when I was practicing with my band I had the amp on 2/3 and it was loud, really loud. Surely the majority of players don't get to turn a 50 watt amp up full? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Ah - TGP......................
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    Depends on the speaker cab you are playing into, 50w into a greenback loaded cab is not that* loud, into a vintage 30 loaded cab and it is a bit more brutal.

*Still loud enough to piss the pundits off though

Saying that allot of gig venues here can't cope with a 15w amp cranked up.

I find the more often you play loud the less loud it seems.... that is also called hearing loss
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
     Maybe some of them have much bigger rooms or rehearsal spaces so the SPLs aren't as high.
    Also beyond a certain point the amp won't really get louder but it will get more saturated and clip differently in the power section.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
    Even so, it is really very loud by the time it will get to that point. I can't believe that there are sound men that let you get away with turning all the way up. I must have played 1000's of gigs and have never been able to run a 100 watt amp or 50 watt amp up full.

• Sorry, couldn't resist.
    <space for hire>
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunm said:
    I have been looking at some reviews of amps and on TGP, the Marshall forum and some others I keep coming across the statement "it's only 50 watts turn it right up" (in relation to the 2204 JCM 800). 

Have you seen the size of some of these American churches?
    shaunm said:

They can't all be playing in those things surely? 

Ive seen a couple say that a 1959 slp "isn't that loud" compared to what? An earthquake? Which church would be ok with you running a plexi at full tilt?
  • shaunm said:
    shaunm said:

They can't all be playing in those things surely? 

Ive seen a couple say that a 1959 slp "isn't that loud" compared to what? An earthquake? Which church would be ok with you running a plexi at full tilt?
    I think their definition of church is unlike anything we have seen over here. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Obviously the average American is somewhat more 'acoustically absorbant' than their European counterpart. 

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Obviously the average American is somewhat more 'acoustically absorbant' than their European counterpart. 

Must be haha. 

Yes they have big churches. Jimi used an SLP at Woodstock, just how big are these churches?
    Actually that's a bad example as CSNY used acoustics.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the big rooms, timber framed plasterboard buildings carpets etc. 
    A far cry from the stone echo chambers of our churches.

but realistically a 25w amp at full tilt is not hugely quieter than a 50w or a 100w for that matter, I think those guys are running clean with pedals for drive, rather than cranking the amp for drive. 

Obviously that's a gross generalisation.

Jesus must make it quieter.  
  • There are probably just as many on TGP who find 5-15 watts too loud. 
    There are probably just as many on TGP who find 5-15 watts too loud. 
    No doubt, it's just strange as we don't seem to ever discuss the fact someone has just played a gig with their amps up full. It seems to be much more common place on American tinged forums where it's discussed that they have had their amp "dimed"
  • I believe there are sub genres where that is normal - stoner / doom / punk / garage, same in the uk but on a limited scale. Plus they still have the odd 200 + cap hard rock pub/ venue over there. 

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited February 2017
    I also once did a (miced) gig with a 100 watt Matamp and it wasn't loud enough, in the uk, at Tramway in Glasgow. Big room (practically empty too, alas!), 1x12 cab, not enough air moving...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    It is very obvious.

Our mains electric is 240v.
    Theirs is 110v.

So our therefore our amps sound 2.2 times louder when on the same settings.

Why others can't see this is beyond me.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    my neighbours have a different perception of loud to me
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ooh, you need to be pretty loud to put on your cargo shorts and play Mustang Sally at the annual church jamboree and picnic.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunm said:
    There are probably just as many on TGP who find 5-15 watts too loud. 
    No doubt, it's just strange as we don't seem to ever discuss the fact someone has just played a gig with their amps up full. It seems to be much more common place on American tinged forums where it's discussed that they have had their amp "dimed"
    Doing  bit of research I've discovered a Dime is 1/10 of a dollar, I therefore assume running your amp dimed means it's at 10% if it's capacity. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom