Fender Telecaster Case - hinge problem

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
edited February 2017 in Guitar
I have the original USA Fender case for my 1988 USA Fender Telecaster.  This is a pic of the same type.  You'll see there are 3 'barrel-type' hinges.  These are interlocking hinges where the top part interlocks with the bottom part, and then held in place by a small metal bar inside the 'barrel' created by the interlocking hinge parts.  The problem is that sometimes these pins drop out.  

So far I've found them and not lost any, but this seems a bit of a daft design and I'm wondering how best to secure them in place without affecting the hinge movement.  

I'm thinking of perhaps dabbing a small drop of superglue at the ends of each hinge, but before doing so was wondering if anyone else has this type of case and has had a similar problem - and if so, how did you remedy it? 

Image result for original 1980s case for USA fender telecaster

This is an example of an interlocking hinge where you can see how the bar down the centre holds it in place. 

Image result for interlocking hinge

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If I were you I'd store this case somewhere safe and buy a used Hiscox. I think you'll end up with this problem reoccurring.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    Careful use of superglue will do it I reckon. Just don't let the glue run into the rest of the hinge. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14182
    tFB Trader
    I've got a used one in stock, with an appropriate guitar, that has lost its hinge - so anyone with ideas how to do a good useful repair
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited February 2017
    I've got a used one in stock, with an appropriate guitar, that has lost its hinge - so anyone with ideas how to do a good useful repair
    Lost the hinge completely or just the lost bar holding the hinge together? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    Sounds like Mark's become completely unhinged....
    edited February 2017
    Voxman said:
    Oh dear - yup, OK - I think we've found the level!   hehehe 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited February 2017
    Voxman said:
    Voxman said:
    Oh dear - yup, OK - I think we've found the level!   hehehe 
    I have low standards - which I've yet to reach....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
    2 half's of the hinge on the top and bottom of the case but nothing linking/holding them together - I know I can bodge it with say a guitar string, or wire, threaded through, but it looks crap and I'm sure there is something better - To be truthful, I'll spend time getting the guitar set-up so it is presentable for retail purposes, but don't get hung up trying to repair old cases as such
  • TitchTitch Frets: 45
    See if you can find a pin of the same diameter but a millimetre or two longer and when fitted into the two hinge parts "rivet" the ends over i.e. using a small ball pein hammer. ( I'm assuming that the hinges are accessible) and that should stop the pins dropping out, I've done it on a Gibson case hinge and the handle which got broken in the back of a van.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Voxman said:
    I have the original USA Fender case for my 1988 USA Fender Telecaster.  This is a pic of the same type.  You'll see there are 3 'barrel-type' hinges.  These are interlocking hinges where the top part interlocks with the bottom part, and then held in place by a small metal bar inside the 'barrel' created by the interlocking hinge parts.  The problem is that sometimes these pins drop out.  

So far I've found them and not lost any, but this seems a bit of a daft design and I'm wondering how best to secure them in place without affecting the hinge movement.  

I'm thinking of perhaps dabbing a small drop of superglue at the ends of each hinge, but before doing so was wondering if anyone else has this type of case and has had a similar problem - and if so, how did you remedy it?
    Common problem. Find a nail of the right diameter and slightly longer, use it to replace the pin, and if you're fussy and have the right tools, use a punch to spread out the pointy end so it can't come back out. If you're not/don't, just bend it slightly with a pair of pliers which will have much the same result.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Voxman said:

Common problem. Find a nail of the right diameter and slightly longer, use it to replace the pin, and if you're fussy and have the right tools, use a punch to spread out the pointy end so it can't come back out. If you're not/don't, just bend it slightly with a pair of pliers which will have much the same result.
    Thanks - I'll try similar
    Thanks @ICBM , will give that a try.  ;)
    tFB Trader
    wasn't in the shop at the time - so just checked - in my case (pun not intended) - top half of the hinge, the barrel and lower hinge are all intact, so will function okay - However the top half of hinge is mounted to the upper half of the case lid but lower half  has come away - So in simple terms the top and bottom of the case lids don't function correctly when opened - No rivets on this model - will look again but looks just like 2 locating hooks to secure - nothing special
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Sometimes you'll need to drill and bolt them to the case, with large washers or a flat piece of metal on the inside to spread the load.

As you may have guessed by now, I've repaired quite a lot of these cases! They're not terrible, but the hinges are their weak point.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Sometimes you'll need to drill and bolt them to the case, with large washers or a flat piece of metal on the inside to spread the load.

As you may have guessed by now, I've repaired quite a lot of these cases! They're not terrible, but the hinges are their weak point.
    yep I've seen plenty come in over the years with a drilled option as you suggested - just wondered if I had missed a trick and a simple mod was available - thanks for the input
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited February 2017
    set screw with flat washers and a dome nut on the end !

Have none of you ever ridden motorbikes??