What Telecaster did you replace your 52 AVRI with?

What's Hot
ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
I've had the GAS for a blackguard for a couple of years now and came real close to snapping a local deal before christmas but without a current band another guitar seemed a bit unimportant and I wasn't into selling one just then.

Now band situation has changed and a nice tele would be very fitting (country rock and pop beat combo).
I have a nice black Fender (Korean) lite ashe tele which sounds great and is lightweight (doh!) but I get on better with a more cambered fingerboard so an upgrade is now in the offing.
So before I buy a used 52 AVRI and then decide to upgrade it! What have others moved on to tele wise after the AVRI. If folks decided that 'x' made a better player or 'y' was half the cost for the same sound and playability. Have you assembled a kit of parts? Did you have someone make you one? Who invented Stephensons Rocket? What PUs did you end up with?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Definitely, DEFINITELY look into trying a bunch of different guitars then spec'ing a partscaster.  You could get the colours, pickups, wiring, woods and neck to taste.

Only if you fancy putting it together - it's not massively cheaper, but you would end up with whatever hardware you prefer from brands of choice made from materials of choice.  And that's just the bridge, electro socket and tuners on a Tele, but it can make a huge difference.  After comparing bridges, I worked out I liked the Gotoh one best, for my budget.  You won't be constrained by different models which never have quite the right spec.  
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Nowt you can really go wrong with with a 52 AVRI. That said I'm parts-a-castering at the mo. Then again, I'm spoiled cause I've a CS in the kitchen.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Sorry does not compute.. replacing your 53 AVRI with another Telecaster...why? 
    My AVRI is the best Tele I've ever played.. period. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5013
    I upgraded from an AVRI Tele to a Relic Nocaster and a Relic Custom Tele. The CS guitars are lighter, sound better, have 9.5" radius boards, and the Nocaster doesn't have massively thick lacquer all over the fretboard including the frets. No comparison in my view.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104

I upgraded from an AVRI Tele to a Relic Nocaster and a Relic Custom Tele. The CS guitars are lighter, sound better, have 9.5" radius boards, and the Nocaster doesn't have massively thick lacquer all over the fretboard including the frets. No comparison in my view.
    Yeah... but apart from that why would anyone want to upgrade from a 52 AVRI ? 
    :P
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • It was an mjt partscaster for me. It's lighter, as resonant or more so, and has nicer pickups. BUT the 52 was really lovely - felt very special.
    fretfinder;148135" said:
    Oh I agree, the finish on my CS is another league, but it's a whole different price point from the AVRI.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    CS '51 Nocaster is THE best Tele there is...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    CS '51 Nocaster is THE best Tele there is...
    Gotta disagree with ya there fella. I had one, and it was glorious. Really was. The neck was sublime (huge). But in direct contradiction to that, my '59 CS Esquire with a slimmer neck profile, pisses all over it. Playability, sound, just everything. Horses for courses tho.