Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Volume Pedal Rant.

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30900
Why can no-one make a volume pedal that works?

The latest POS to be tried and discared is the Lehle. Utter garbage.

Why can't anyone make a decent one?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28155
    What specifically do you require of such an item?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    I have an old Carlsbro passive volume pedal - still works smoothly and flawlessly. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    Boss FV-500.

So good Vertex removed the Boss labelling, claimed it removed any tone suck and sold it for an inflated price, and American gear-heads bought it… and the pedal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Never properly understood the use for them if I'm honest, certainly not enough to justify them robbing more signal.

Its the lettuce of the fx world.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • How did you manage to break a Lehle? It's a tank.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Put it after a buffer, I think Cornish makes one of those?  :s
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    I like the one installed on my guitar. Works great, but hard to use with a foot.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I hate the lack of resistance on the treadle, no matter how tight you screw it. The sweep isn't that wide either. Never noticed tone suck though and its a well executed idea to be fair.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Why don't you like ot @Gassage ? Rubbish rant without reasons! ;-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    The Boss FV500 is an awesome volume pedal
  • What does DG use, just buy that ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Have you put it on your pedalboard that sits atop your rack? If so I think I know where you're going wrong!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I find Dunlop DVP1 fine, it's huge but that also makes it easy to use. I've never tried it without a buffer first though.
  • dindude said:
    Never properly understood the use for them if I'm honest, certainly not enough to justify them robbing more signal.

Because I can't strum while doing a volume swell with my finger.

Also because using your volume knob is a pain with a noise gate. A volume pedal after a noise gate means the gate always sees the same signal so can be left on permanently. I get my gritty low gain sounds by backing off volume so this is much more practical for me
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    dindude said:

primarily for slow fading in and out whilst playing parts, which would be impossible with a volume knob, on anything other than a strat maybe.

that's my use anyway.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited February 2017
    I use a volume pedal quite a lot and find it an invaluable tool.

I use one of the expression pedals on my Tonelab SE as a volume control to go from rhythm volume to lead solo volume on patches where I simply want a volume boost with no change to gain levels.  

On other patches, I'll set it to control gain level in a similar way to the guitar volume knob but with the advantage of no tonal drop off.  I realise the latter is strictly using it as an expression control, but some free standing volume pedals can do that too, so seemed a reasonable comparison.  

And like certain volume pedals I can set the range between toe down and heel down, or leave it as full sweep if I want. 

With my conventional pedal board I use a simple passive Carlsboro volume pedal. This is full sweep only with no parameter control.

With my Valvetronix AD120VTX, I have a dedicated volume pedal on my VC12 floor controller. This allows setting to one of three sweep characteristics - not as controllable as the Tonelab, but still useful options. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Shobud- over and out
  • Tapestry Bloomery is the one I like so far - you tried that?
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    I played for years with a Little Alligator in the loop. It was perfect. Now I just have a Keeley Katana Boost because it's smaller and I don't need the sweep. But try a Little Alligator. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30900
    The Lehle: I think, in fairness, it's faulty. There's a huge vol boost coming in and out. Just annoying.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.