Katana 100 - why does the head cost £100 more than the combo ?

What's Hot
sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
£249 for 100 combo
£339 for 100 head

whats that about ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23959
    Speakers in the head too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Bloomin bigger ones in the combo though
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Does the head not have more features? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Cos people gigging them are going to be on 4/5 band bills with shared backline and there will therefore be more demand for the head.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I suspect because it's got a lot more features - I know it's got MIDI support, and consequently 128 (or possibly more) preset patches, and the combos don't.
    <space for hire>
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591

Yes DS, the head has several more features including an FX loop and a speaker out (of course!) . Oddly the latter is rated 8 Ohms min', that is unusual for a modern SState amp, owners of stereo/mono 4x12 cabs beware!

In general, (and I have no stats to support this) I would say combos outsell heads at least 2 to one and probably by a bigger margin at the "noob" end of the market? Thus when, in this highly competitive industry you have cut production costs to the bone for the combo the head works out more expensive. You also have to realize that you cannot just "drop" a combo chassis into a head sleeve. Well, not a valve jobby anyway.

Dave.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Maybe the speakers in the combo are really, really bad!? ;)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobe said:
    Maybe the speakers in the combo are really, really bad!? ;)
    No my Son has the 100 Watt combo and its a superb sounding bit of kit.
    For the money its great.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Was joking, hence the winky!
     :) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobe said:
    Was joking, hence the winky!
     :) 
    Sorry, misread the winky!! :)
  • goatgoat Frets: 98
    Good guide to the model differences here http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19048.0 Midi is the the only extra over the 100W combo so hard to see how they justify the price of the head. Just charging whatever theyve calculated the market will bear I suppose. Im a bit miffed because Id prefer the head just for space saving reasons. If they could knock it out for £199, even without Midi, theyd sell bucketloads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I would also prefer the head but the premium seems rather cheeky.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    ecc83 said:

You also have to realize that you cannot just "drop" a combo chassis into a head sleeve. Well, not a valve jobby anyway.

You can if it's designed right - like a Blackface/Silverface Fender, or a Mesa Mark series. The amp section is identical, only the cabinet is different.

Even with a modern Marshall the only difference is the panel print, because the chassis is upside down in the head.

Of course if designers want to make amps wrong and put the controls on the top at the back then it does become more difficult usually :), although even then Voxes and 70s Marshalls are identical.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    It's actually pretty easy to just flip the Katana head onto it's front if it really bothers people.  Don't think it affects cooling (can't use internal speaker obviously)  I find the controls on the top fine for playing standing up.  I really like it and its my most used amp.