Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gary Moore - still mesmerised by him

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
For me he was just one of the most fabulous and complete guitar players ever, who had so much technical skill, the most fabulous touch, gorgeous phrasing, pure gut feel and emotion, the ability to go from power to subtlety in an instant, and like Rory Gallagher the most unassuming & gentle guy.  Found this little gem of a vid - and he even plays Jazz (around 3:25) which I never knew he did.  Taken from us far, far too soon.  There will inevitably be some for whom he wasn't perhaps their cup of tea, but even those folk would I'm sure never deny the pure God given talent he had.  Nice little intimate vid, well worth watching & listening to. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14182
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    Had to decorate the hall way last weekend, so went to get a few CD's out that I've not played for a while - that included Still Got The Blues and Run For Cover and yes you forget how good he was - Some songs are okay but nothing special but the guitar playing is excellent - so much passion and technique - Played the whole album Still Got The Blues three times on the trot
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I'm a huge fan of his playing, although when I went to see him in concert it was a bit of a let down, the guitar playing was excellent but the vocals were terrible........I mean really terrible. He should have used another singer.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    edited February 2017
    Its odd. because he really could sing back in his Colosseum II days, which is still my favourite Gary Moore era, along with Theme and Variations and Back on the Streets
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Its still a great video - I also like the fact that Gary really didn't give a flying rats arse what age a guitar was, if it sounded good and played right he'd rock it. If you look carefully at that Goldtop reissue he plays in the vid, the neck has a very swirly rosewood pattern - too swirly for some of the perfectionists I've seen on here and MLP. I've also seen one of his R8 back up guitars up close - it had a neck angle that some would refuse for being "wrong" but he made it sing.

A sad loss, for sure.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    proggy said:
    I'm a huge fan of his playing, although when I went to see him in concert it was a bit of a let down, the guitar playing was excellent but the vocals were terrible........I mean really terrible. He should have used another singer.
    I'm a big fan - saw him live a few times - once with Thin Lizzy on the Black Rose tour - my criticism of him live was to much gain and to much speed sometimes - more so in his Blues days - When he slowed it down, like Don't believe a word, he could walk on water, but sometimes he just had to much gain and speed, to often - and that is  a fan speaking - Just my opinion - Yes I agree not a great singer, but you can aim that at many guitar player led bands/artist
    sweepy said:
    Its odd. because he really could sing back in his Colosseum II days, which is still my favourite Gary Moore era, along with Theme and Variations and Back on the Streets

I know, I do like his voice (on record) maybe he was having an off day, or he was half pissed or something.
  • BigKevBigKev Frets: 10
    I saw Gary playing dozens of times, always a stunning player, average to say the least vocals, first time would have been Back on the streets Album, 1978 ish, and one of the best shows was either 80 or 81 at Reading Rock Festival when he played with Greg Lake, and followed up with major tour where they were not so hot but that early evening at Reading he was absolutely on fire, starting with Nuclear Attack from Greg's sols album to coincide with these dates.

The band was Greg Lake, Gary Moore, Ted McKenna drums, I think it was Tommy Eyre on keys but a great set and band but Mr Moore was on fire that time !!!
  • Voxman said:
    For me he was just one of the most fabulous and complete guitar players ever, who had so much technical skill, the most fabulous touch, gorgeous phrasing, pure gut feel and emotion, the ability to go from power to subtlety in an instant, and like Rory Gallagher the most unassuming & gentle guy.  Found this little gem of a vid - and he even plays Jazz (around 3:25) which I never knew he did.  Taken from us far, far too soon.  There will inevitably be some for whom he wasn't perhaps their cup of tea, but even those folk would I'm sure never deny the pure God given talent he had.  Nice little intimate vid, well worth watching & listening to. 

My favourite video of Gazza, have watched it countless times, and I think I have posted it on my Facebook page at least 3 times since he passed.... I LOVE the Jazz section. Why didn't he put some of that onto his latter era records?!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    proggy said:
    sweepy said:

I know, I do like his voice (on record) maybe he was having an off day, or he was half pissed or something.
    I'd be surprised at 1/2 pissed - I'm led to believe that regarding live  work, then alcohol was not part of his arsenal - drink after, but not live or before - I understand this was his regular fall out with Phil and Lizzy in that they would drink and sod it, whilst Gary was to professional about that - Sure I've read that on a few occassions
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    Another big fan here. When I think of players who put their heart and soul into every note, he always come to mind. 
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

He once said he was followed around to gigs by weirdos with stopwatches timing the long note in "Parisienne Walkways".

(I think he was kidding a bit, but it made me laugh.)

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    proggy said:
    sweepy said:

I'd be surprised at 1/2 pissed - I'm led to believe that regarding live  work, then alcohol was not part of his arsenal - drink after, but not live or before - I understand this was his regular fall out with Phil and Lizzy in that they would drink and sod it, whilst Gary was to professional about that - Sure I've read that on a few occassions
    Spot on - he liked a drink or two after a gig sure, but as you say he was a true pro  never got sozzled before.  There's so many great examples of his playing, but here are two of my absolute favs - its just the tone, technical skill, touch, feel, emotion & sheer power and technique - and Gary was just as at home on a vintage Strat as he was from a modern Les Paul.  His take on these two - Red House and The Stumble are just sublime...and if you don't find yourself rocking, swaying or tapping your feet, fingers or something to the Stumble - then you must be pushing up the daisies!  D 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited February 2017
    My Dad, though himself never interested in guitar as a hobby, was a big fan so I heard a lot of it growing up.

As a relative newcomer to all things guitar I only know a handful of his most well known songs

Wheres a good starting point to dive into his other stuff? 
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
    Spot on - he liked a drink or two after a gig sure, but as you say he was a true pro  never got sozzled before.  There's so many great examples of his playing, but here are two of my absolute favs - its just the tone, technical skill, touch, feel, emotion & sheer power and technique - and Gary was just as at home on a vintage Strat as he was from a modern Les Paul.  His take on  Red House and The Stumble are just sublime..

two great examples you provided  and yes as you say its just the tone, technical skill, touch, feel, emotion & sheer power and technique
  • I'm not a fan, but he has shed loads of talent. 
    I find there is a lot of really talented guitarists who are great players, but I don't like their songs. 
    He definitely stole the show at that Strat Pack 50th Anniversary concert with that Red House rendition, in my opinion.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    edited February 2017
    BRISTOL86 said:
    My Dad, though himself never interested in guitar as a hobby, was a big fan so I heard a lot of it growing up.

As a relative newcomer to all things guitar I only know a handful of his most well known songs

Wheres a good starting point to dive into his other stuff? 
    Back on the Streets and the 3 Colossuem II Albums are essential imho . Check out Cozy Powell's album Tilt as well

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Great, thanks @sweepy ;
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Massive fan here. I liked all his early output, but for me he hit a magical level when he just went 'Blues'. Fabulous playing. Saw him live just the once - in BBM with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. Awesome to see three greats!
  • I saw him live quite a few times. My favourite band/iteration was Scars with Cass Lewis (Skunk Anansie) and Darrin Mooney (Primal Scream). Very bluesy with a big Hendrix vibe and a great dynamic between the three of them. He was astoundingly good with a sublime touch.