Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gary Moore - still mesmerised by him

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14037
    tFB Trader
    I saw him live quite a few times. My favourite band/iteration was Scars with Cass Lewis (Skunk Anansie) and Darrin Mooney (Primal Scream). Very bluesy with a big Hendrix vibe and a great dynamic between the three of them. He was astoundingly good with a sublime touch.
    Probably his most under rated album and yes that late 60's early 70's Hendrix and Free vibe - never saw that tour - assuming he did one with that line up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I saw him live quite a few times. My favourite band/iteration was Scars with Cass Lewis (Skunk Anansie) and Darrin Mooney (Primal Scream). Very bluesy with a big Hendrix vibe and a great dynamic between the three of them. He was astoundingly good with a sublime touch.
    Probably his most under rated album and yes that late 60's early 70's Hendrix and Free vibe - never saw that tour - assuming he did one with that line up
    The Monsters of Rock DVD features the "Scars" era band and some of the songs from the album.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Saw him at a small venue in Burslem just prior to joining Lizzy, played mostly Allmans stuff which i never saw him  repeat, but just awesome.
    tFB Trader
    The Monsters of Rock DVD features the "Scars" era band and some of the songs from the album.

Thanks for that - not seen it so when I get a while later tonight I'll watch that - thanks
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Listening to The Stumble as i type this - Wow, brilliant !
    Thanks for posting.

Best thing i ever heard him say was "Relax on stage ! If you don't play for 10 seconds, no one is going to shoot you for it !"

I'm still trying to get Dunluce part II right from 'After the War'.

One of my favourite Men and players.
    Sorely missed.
  • The Stumble was on the B-side of the Walking by Myself cd single and I used to play that a shitload on my tennis racket. It was just before I started playing the actual guitar and it was one of my favourite pieces of music. Probably still is. Such a good version
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    Stunning player, overplayed at times but boy could he pick theeeeee notes when he slowed down. Theres some great clips on youtube of him guesting with buddy whittington in various tours and his playing, touch and feel is pretty damn on the money. 
    His vocals were never to my taste but in the history books its never gonna say ' gary moore- average singer" :) itl be " gary moore- guitar legend" 
    gone too soon . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    By co-incidence I found this on youtube yesterday.

It was given away witrh the "Corridors of Power" album, recorded live at the Marquee. I was there that night, even for the Marquee it was bloody hot in there.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    scrumhalf said:

It was given away witrh the "Corridors of Power" album, recorded live at the Marquee. I was there that night, even for the Marquee it was bloody hot in there.

I never saw him live - wish I'd been able to!  Thanks for posting that - magical stuff.rockin  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:

Interesting listening to the live intro in that he doesn't play it exactly the same as the original record - adds a subtle but slight tweak here and there to the phrasing - Great because I don't or can't quite nail it to perfection as per the record, but adding similar subtle tweaks makes it your version and less dependent on perfect bends and pitch which sound crap if you don't nail it - Yet I sometimes think it makes you feel a touch fraud if you don't nail it - Now I'll just accept my version is okay and it is mine
  • I'm not a fan, but he has shed loads of talent. 
    I find there is a lot of really talented guitarists who are great players, but I don't like their songs. 
    I don't like his playing either. I make the effort to go and see him live a couple of years before he died. His playing did nothing for me at the gig. I stuck it out 'till the end of his performance, but left before the encores.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    scrumhalf said:

Interesting listening to the live intro in that he doesn't play it exactly the same as the original record - adds a subtle but slight tweak here and there to the phrasing - Great because I don't or can't quite nail it to perfection as per the record, but adding similar subtle tweaks makes it your version and less dependent on perfect bends and pitch which sound crap if you don't nail it - Yet I sometimes think it makes you feel a touch fraud if you don't nail it - Now I'll just accept my version is okay and it is mine
    To me that's one of the beauties of modern music. It needn't be a recital. One of the best gigs I ever saw was Eric Johnson at the Marquee in 1991 because the band were able to stretch out at times and take the music to places it hadn't been before.

Similarly, and significant with Deke Leonard's recent passing, I saw the Manband many times and whilst certain bits of certain songs remained constant, what happened in between those bits could go anywhere.

I would hate to pay today's prices to see a band and to hear nothing that wasn't as per the album. I've seen various clips of Gary Moore's playing over the years and things change. That's what might make the next gig I go to the best gig I ever go to.
  • I have many favourite guitarists - but if there was one I wish I could play like, it would be Gary Moore. He could make a guitar sing, whisper or scream. I love those explosive blues runs he would suddenly launch into after playing a quiet passage.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    The first video demonstrates the usual guitar playing drivel that absolutely WoWs young guitar players.  Drivel that is totally meaningless musically.  Gary Moore was a fine musician who wrote and played some memorable tunes.  There is nothing in that video that fits the criteria, memorable.  The last time I heard GM play, it was in Dublin.  A fairly small venue but he was way way too loud.  Jet aircraft taking off loud.  Luckily Mrs Rocker and I had earplugs but even with those in place, he was still too loud.  Exactly why I could never figure out.

Like most, I was extremely sorry to hear of his passing.  But I don't ever want to hear a guitar played at that volume again.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    edited February 2017
    I saw in Gloucester with the scars band he  played a red strat most of the gig if I remember right. He adamantly would not do Lizzy stuff etc. I have the CD somewhere not played it in years. I liked his collisium stuff very tasteful.
  • As a newcomer to GM, which album would be the one to go for first? 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    One of my biggest influences and in fact, one of the biggest reasons I started playing in the first place.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader

Yeah he was awesome...  I saw him once when he was in support for BB King.. 

Not only could he do a good Hendrix

But a good fill in for Clapton too..  Not many guitarists can pull that off

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • This is one of my favourite ever bits of Gary playing live. It's from the "Cold Day in Hell" tour when he played "The Thrill is Gone" with BB King. Gary just sits back and doesn't overplay. He plays completely sympathetically to BB King and they trade amazing licks at the end in a superb call and response.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dealmakerdealmaker Frets: 18
    edited February 2017
    My all-time favourite guitar player (helps that I am a big Lizzy fan - no one could play Black Rose like him) - and I could listen to Back on The Streets on repeat for hours, especially his version of Don't Believe a Word. This is one of my favourite videos - manages all this with a broken E string