New artist - feedback

What's Hot
Hey everyone, I would love some support and feedback of my guitar piece. It would be valued coming from a guitar community (instead of just my friends)! 

It's played on a Taylor 100 series in DADGAD. 

- Anon
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Amazing!
    That's a really intense piece with some lovely bits of contrast too which helps break it up a bit and give it some light and shade.
    Your groove is infectious :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah but can you play smoke on the water ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Seriously impressive that, a hell of a lot going on and all done really well.
  • I'm glad you posted a film of that - otherwise I'd have thought it was about three people and wouldn't have been half as impressed!  Incredible skill sir :)
  • Awesome!! Thanks for taking the time to watch :D
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    Enjoyed that, and I don't usually like that style of playing. Sounded a bit like a dance track.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Excellent. 

• I'm glad I didn't study music - I'd never have stood up against the sort of player. Brilliant! 

The percussive element was actually really good - sometimes I think it can get a bit repetitive in this style but it had a nice thump with interesting rhythms. 
  • Encore!

• That slap and tickle style isn't my thing but you do it very well indeed.  Nice.

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    edited February 2017
    FFS. I give up. Anyone want to buy some guitars :-)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    edited February 2017
    Reminds me of the time a dropped my acoustic down 4 flights of stairs, ah saved by the open tuning.

You should go electric. Unless you are just trying to attract the girls, in which case you need to add some singing.

Edit: damn timestamp failed!
    Was supposed to be 3m 42s

But seriously, I don't think I have ever willingly listened to the acoustic-percusive thing so my opinion is.worthless.

Edit 2: apologies for being a dick but there is some really good stuff in that video.

• Thanks! I know what you mean about open tuning, hopefully it didn't sound too much like a stair accident :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited February 2017
    it's not my thing & the only dude i know who does that stuff is richie havens, so i am not qualified to make a judgement as someone familiar with the scene. disclaimer etc.
    but it was pretty freakin' impressive for what it was. face value & knowing nothing about that sort of thing (other than richie's opening set on the woodstock album).

dynamically speaking, it seemed a lot of busy-business compressed into a small space, so too much for me to take in, coming to it cold & unprepared. maybe within a set, once i had acclimatised to the pace & density, it wouldn't seem so. you are used to it so maybe that's your normal. or maybe i'm slow of hearing. either/or/neither/both. who knows.

i do appreciate it's a set-piece hit&run showreel, so you are trying to get as many tricks into the smallest space possible. but within a set I'd be more comfortable with that much busy-ness being revealed over a longer period (10-15 minutes?), with breath-catching lulls in between, to rest my concentration (even if you don't need one).
    alternating 3 minutes busy & 2 minutes slower, with maybe some really quiet & delicate semi-stalled bits here & there just to create a tension (fast/slow.loud/quiet) and clear some space in your listener's head into which you can throw the next stage.

more like opera, less like rock. if that means anything at all to you.

techinically you know you are the shit. i couldn't even imagine myself playing like that in a dream. you really must have no life to be able to make the time to practice to get that good. or you are a natural & it just comes without trying, in which case we actually all hate you.

seriously though, i am talking as a goth lay-woman who only has richie havens on the woodstock album as a point of reference for what you do. i know nothing of this scene.
    & i play with a 1mm plectrum though a shitload of effects because it's easy & I am too shy to even join a band & play a gig. so i don't know much more about musicianship tbh.
    i just do it in my bedroom to please myself & if my cat doesn't leave the room when i play that's a good vale gig.

so take those things into account & that's my feedback. best of luck with your work!

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    I really liked it.

But it's too long. Or it needs a recognisable shift to a second movement.
  • Thank you that was an insightful and wonderful response! It's really important and I will take into consideration the idea of 'busy-ness' for next time. Thanks for taking the time :) 

vale said:

i do appreciate it's a set-piece hit&run showreel, so you are trying to get as many tricks into the smallest space possible. but within a set I'd be more comfortable with that much busy-ness being revealed over a longer period (10-15 minutes?), with breath-catching lulls in between, to rest my concentration (even if you don't need one).
    alternating 3 minutes busy & 2 minutes slower, with maybe some really quiet & delicate semi-stalled bits here & there just to create a tension (fast/slow.loud/quiet) and clear some space in your listener's head into which you can throw the next stage.

more like opera, less like rock. if that means anything at all to you.

• I think what you have is the basis for a good intro, but you need more harmonic movement from that point on.

Also, the percussive element is over powering the recording, you need to pick up the treble strings more.

Have a listen to this for a more balanced recorded sound.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    Al Stewart, Davy Graham, Bert Jansch - eat your heart out.  I really liked this as it's just the sort of thing I grew up listening to, but just done a bit better.

I actually think there's two numbers in there, rather than one, and that would be my only criticism.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.