Ambient wash

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

Not exactly sure what I want.  I have a Memory lane Junior and nice spring reverb on my amp, but what something that I can use for swells for a long sustain, ambient wash kind of sound.  I'm thinking some kind of reverb probably, something DSP based with a setting suitable for this kind of thing, a soft droning tone and a long decay.

I'm thinking a Neunaber stereo wet?  Basically if I bring a chord in and out with a swell, I want a sound similar to a chorus of angels to sustain for a while, but with no discernible repeats.  Not really anything like the ice kind of effects.

What would be good for this?  The other thing I was thinking was selling my memory lane Junior and replacing it with a H9, which could cover basic delay sounds and some more ambient reverbs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Are you using a volume pedal or your guitar's volume control for the swell or do you want the pedal to produce the swell?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    Are you using a volume pedal or your guitar's volume control for the swell or do you want the pedal to produce the swell?

Volume control.  I don't need swell from the pedal.

The Pad setting on the MXR reverb looks interesting.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    What about the Hungry Robot 'The Wash'? Or do you mean something more like the EHX SuperEgo?
  • simonk said:
    What about the Hungry Robot 'The Wash'? Or do you mean something more like the EHX SuperEgo?

Wouldn't mind a superego, but I don't really need that dryer infinite hold sound.  I'll have a look at the Hungry Robot one.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    edited February 2017
    I use a Superego with a Pitch Fork and a Zoom Ms70-CDR or MS100BT in it's effect loop. You can get some really lovely sounds with that sort of combo. Aside from that, the Zoom Multistomps can get a lot of the way there on their own - you can set up an individual patch with a verb, delay, swell, modulation - basically all manner of things that can get you the type of sound you've described.
  • Check out the PLUSPedal Sustain Pedal that's coming out, I preordered one, looks pretty nifty. Like a fancy EHX Freeze. 

I've also a Red Panda Context Reverb incoming. Will feed back on that when it's here. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699
    peaches said:
    Check out the PLUSPedal Sustain Pedal that's coming out, I preordered one, looks pretty nifty. Like a fancy EHX Freeze. 

I've also a Red Panda Context Reverb incoming. Will feed back on that when it's here. 

It looks cool.  Have just checked again, not out until June, so I'll look out for it then.

I think I'll go for a Neunaber Immerse, or Slate.

• M5 and the Particle Verb 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    there's a place up the road that do these - £5 a go
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    How very rock and roll
    Try one of these:

Fretwired said:
    Try one of these:

Yes, I mentioned this above.  I'l probably go for this or a slate, not sure yet.  I've heard a wet, it was a definite wow effect.  Just need to decide whether I'd use the other verbs more, or the other Neunaber effects if I got a slate and exp.  From what I can gather, the wet algorithm is the one, their chorus, delay etc are not in the same league.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Ambient soap.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    DD500 would get you there. Two delays at once. Tera Echo and a Tape delay. Or maybe even the Source Audio Nemesis, which is CHOCK full of exceptional ambient sounds.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    The Wash is wonderful.
  • 80s reverb on the Flint is good for this also
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5136

a soft droning tone and a long decay.

I want a sound similar to a chorus of angels to sustain for a while, but with no discernible repeats.  

I guess it depends what you think a chorus of angels sounds like.

Any reverb with a long decay time and the mix turned up high (perhaps higher than 50/50 with the dry signal) will give you a sustaining sound. Multiple delays will do something similar- I've got a pattern delay (16 delay lines) setting on my DD-500 that does a very synth pad-type sound that might fit the bill, and several dual delay settings that do the same thing to a lesser extent. For extra synthy points, adding a modulation effect *after* the delay/reverb works well.

Trouble is, both options will still sound more or less like what you put in to them, minus the guitar's attack/decay- if you want something that sounds even less like a recognizable instrument then something like Line 6's Particle Verb / Eventide's Blackhole / Zoom's take on both, or a "shimmer" octave up effect might work. The least crazy setting on my M5's Particle Verb has a sort of vocal quality to it that might be what you're after.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Is this the sound you're after?

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4528
    The secret is multiple delays and reverbs. One short with many repeats, one long with fewer. 
    Wis for this. Tried this over the weekend and it sounded fab
    Fretwired said:
    Is this the sound you're after?

Funnily enough I saw this the other day.

Yes that kind of thing.  I'm going to get a Neunaber Expanse or Immerse as first point of call.

Also, possibly a Nemesis, as suggested by @drewfx to replace my memory lane junior.

To be fair, I'm happy to go with whatever sounds these may bring, I'm not too specific in what I want, just a layer on sustaining ambience when the need arises.