A tale of 3 strats...

What's Hot
riscadoriscado Frets: 180
edited July 2017 in Guitar
For those who like vintage type fender strats, this might be of interest... or not! I don't intend to bust any myths, and this reflects only my personal opinions and nothing else.

Throughout the years I've had the opportunity to play and own some decent guitars, amongst which were some nice fender stratocasters.

Old pre-cbs stratocasters, have in most cases, but not always, a special resonance and feel to them that comes with age. But as far as I'm concerned the most important detail about these guitars, that is missed in most modern recreations, might indeed be the neck shape.

Arguably, the reason for such a missed detail, might be related to the fact that most of the old pre-cbs strats do differ quite a bit from guitar to guitar, thus making it nearly impossible to copy (unless of course you're copying a very specific guitar).

And while it is usually the case that these old fenders are quite unique, it doesn't really mean that your playing experience on one of them is going to be amazing. Given that many lack a proper setup, have weak sounding pickups, wore down frets, badly cut nuts, messed electronics, etc. etc.

Custom shop strats, can be things of beauty. I really do like them, but I am yet to play one that feels and sounds like any pre-cbs I've tried. I tend to think of these guitars, as having their own thing going for them. They're real work horses, great quality, if properly setup, they have good sounding pickups and can be generally made to play and feel really good.

But the current fender models that really have been surprising me consistently for some years  now, in an extremely positive way. Have been the MIM fender classic series guitars.

These guitars are cheaper than custom shops, cheaper than american vintage series, heck... they're even cheaper than road worns series guitars (which I assume are essentially the same guitars with a relic'd finish).

Statistically, you will have to look harder to find one that speaks to you, than you would for example with a custom shop strat. However most of the time, it all boils down to how good the setup is and when you do find a good one... man, they are really good.

The neck shape feels closer to most pre-cbs neck I've played, the body weight is usually quite decent, the hardware is also decent, the pickups sound good (not great, but this can be improved). Even the overall electronics are good. But to me it's all about feel and these models do feel more like an old strat than most custom shops (in my opinion). And they can sound and resonate just as good.

I've recently been testing out the following trio:

1964 Fender Stratocaster (all original)
'63 Fender Team built (custom order) custom shop Stratocaster
60s Classis Stratocaster (with custom wound pickups)

The old 64 is a nice guitar, lightweight, plenty of life on the frets, darker (than usual) sounding neck pickup. The neck has got a slight V near the headstock.

The custom shop is a remarkable lightweight guitar with plenty of chime and guts when you dig it. Typical custom shop 60s shape neck, which feels nothing like the 64.

The 60s classic is a 2014/15 cerrulean blue. I changed the pickups and it now sports a set that was wound for me by a friend using alnico 5 poles and enamel wire.

I always feel like the 60s classic is the closest thing I've played to the "real deal", and dare I say, probably sounds slightly punchier (in a good way) than the 64. To such an extend that if I had to rank these guitars, the custom shop would fall short into a 3rd position and it would be a really tight call between the 64 and classic 60s.

All said and done, people looking to find the closest thing they can to a 60s strat without spending too much money, are well advised to look into the fender classic series guitars.

Here's a photo of the trio:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Jeez - that 64 looks like new! love
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    it's definitely not, but it's not been abused.
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    edited February 2017
    I love the roadworn strat I bought in Nasville as a sovenir. It certainly keeps up with some of the more top end strats I've played (including a few original 60's examples in Carter's).

It's stopped all my future strat GAS! Bought it on a whim to be signed by Vince Gill. Gets gigged all the time now! Too good to hang on a wall. Light, resonant and lively!

http://i.imgur.com/zt5YgSj.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2017
    Really cool... Indeed, the classic/road worn line of guitars coming out of Fender's mexican factory are excellent.
  • BigKevBigKev Frets: 10
    I do like a nice Strat, so when you get one, if you can,  then keep hold of it tighter than a sexy woman's ass !!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Got a roadworn tele recently. Very nice guitar, extremely lively and sounds great. 
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    I can believe it. I have two of the original run of Roadworns - a 3-tone sunburst 60s and a 2-tone sunburst 50s. I don't particularly like relics or the idea of them (I remember laughing at the first custom shops I saw!), but I HAD to have the 60s RW when I played it. It's the best strat I've ever touched. A few months later I found and tried the 50s one. It doesn't speak to me quite as much, but I had to have it too.

I got over the "relic thing" owning these two. It was a BIG hurdle to get over on buying the first one, but the guitar was just SO good - "what if I never touch one this good again?".

I've played a few old strats briefly over the years, and although I "want" a 61/62/63 - I've never touched an old one that seemed worth (to me) the huge price as a guitar... except for that "I OWN ONE!!!" thing.

I've also handled a few custom shops - very nice instruments, obviously quality, but not for me if you can get a an instrument that's 95% as good, but 50% (or less) of the price. And then, sometimes, like my 60s RW (for me), one of those cheaper ones is 105% as good as the CS ones I've touched.

I can well believe the current MIM Classics have some stunners hiding amongst them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    I'd definitely get over the road worn "relic" look if I found one that spoke to me, so I completely understand your experience.

Regarding the poly finishes on classics... I find that the poly finish on the classic series doesn't bother me at all. It seems to be applied as relatively thin layer, and I sincerely don't think it detriments the quality of the instrument at all.

The 64 strat and the custom shop 63 both have nitro and they don't feel particularly more resonant then the classic. The 64 does however, resonate differently. But I find this quality is inherent to most old guitars I've played, they have this different feel about them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    I think the Mexican Classic series are definitely the best new Fenders below the Custom Shop, but I do think the CS are better - certainly the Relics. Whether they're worth the extra money is more debatable.

It's probably worth remembering that most of Leo's original workforce were Mexican immigrants :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I was never taken by the relic thing if I'm honest although I like natural ware and tare on guitars.

Came across this tele by accident really, think it's a first run and it looks battered but is so easy to play. 

Heard different things about the pickups but I like them.  

ICBM said:
    I think the Mexican Classic series are definitely the best new Fenders below the Custom Shop, but I do think the CS are better - certainly the Relics. Whether they're worth the extra money is more debatable.

It's probably worth remembering that most of Leo's original workforce were Mexican immigrants :).
    When all said and done, Fender really do make the best guitars in the world ;)
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3838
    Where do the new American Professional series Fenders fit in the grand scheme of things?
    edited July 2017
    I've had many custom shop relics. They are great guitars, but they don't feel anything close to pre-cbs fenders. Nothing wrong with that, they're different, but still great.

What I intend to highlight with this post, is that you can get closer to an older 60s fender with a contemporary run of the mill fender.

Personally I like the classic series pickups. If I was on a budget, I'd certainly be happy with not replacing them. However a good set of replacements, does take the guitar up a notch or two.

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Do the road worns have a 9.5" radius? I have the 60s mim tele and, although it wants better pickups, it's as much tele as anybody could want. 
    edited July 2017
    Lebarque said:
    Where do the new American Professional series Fenders fit in the grand scheme of things?
    Can't help you there, I still haven't tried the professional series guitars. But looking at the specs, I'd say they're a different thing altogether.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    blueskunk said:
    I was never taken by the relic thing if I'm honest although I like natural ware and tare on guitars.
    To be clear, I don't like the heavy relics and fake wear either - but all the best modern Fenders I've played have been light relics, where they do whatever magic it is that makes them *sound* old without the comedy belt-sander and hitting them with keys nonsense.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2017
    yeah, I think most times, relics do seem to play and feel slightly better out of the box.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited February 2017
    ICBM said:
    blueskunk said:
    To be clear, I don't like the heavy relics and fake wear either - but all the best modern Fenders I've played have been light relics, where they do whatever magic it is that makes them *sound* old without the comedy belt-sander and hitting them with keys nonsense.
    The best of all worlds to me is a light Relic which has actually been played a bit. Mine was 10 years old when I bought it - it feels great - and sounds fantastic. It's really lively acoustically - it is the best non-vintage Strat I've played. And reasonably sensible money too....
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 562
    edited February 2017
    Nice write up OP and love the trio.

One things for sure, a good Strat is like finding a golden egg and once you've played one you just know it straight away. 

Long live the Fender Stratocaster !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'm even cool with the chrome saddles on this 50s Roadworn :-/